Print Thread
Rate Thread
Advice on in-wall purchase
#384411 10/20/12 03:59 AM
P
Practal Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I am currently remodeling my home gym and looking to purchase a pair of speakers in the next few weeks. I have heard of Axiom and wanted to try their products for years. I am going to give it a go considering the reputation of their in-wall and on-wall products.

These will be installed in a 12'x10'x11' home gym and will not be played at high volumes, I am looking for good, clean sound. They wil be paired up with a Rythmik 10 subwoofer and a Marzant SR5600. I will be upgrading the living room soon so I may move an Emotiva umc-1 and upa-2 to drive them. This system will be used exclusively for audio playback via HTPC running J.River media center. Main music choices are heavy metal, hard rock, and alternative.

I prefer the look of the in-wall speakers but I think I will be more pleased with the sound of the hybrid on-walls. I am looking for suggestions on which hybrid speaker to purchase for my situation? M3, M22v3, or maybe even two VP150's tilted up and used as mains. I'm leaning towards the M22 but like the idea of dual vp150's. Anyone think this would work?

Re: Advice on in-wall purchase
Practal #384412 10/20/12 04:40 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Welcome to Axiom. The vertical M22s are more suitable for use as main speakers than are the VP150s. If the horizontal configuration of the VP150 isn't an essential factor in an installation, there's no good reason for attempting to make use of them for mains.

As to whether to use in-walls or the hybrid in-on wall version, although your sub will be handling the low bass, the in-on wall version may have an edge in the mid-bass and should be slightly preferred.

Note that the in-on wall M22s are presently on a 20% off clearance sale, with supplies limited.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #384413 10/20/12 05:55 AM
P
Practal Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thank you for the welcome and the response.

My thought process on the vp150 was to mount them vertically to get more driver area. This is for a home gym so the listening position is random. It varies around the room and maybe standing up, maybe moving up and down while standing on an elliptical, maybe on a bench, or could be laying on the floor. I was thinking having a tweeter mounted high and low would make it sound better?

I have a few nice systems but am not a sound expert. My think is probably way off base so I should go with the m22's?

I am aware of the cleanace and would like to get an order placed by the end of the week. I'm also curious if the lead time of 20 days is close to accurate for a custom finish, or is this worse case scenario? I am looking to get the paint from my room matched. It is nothing exotic and can be purchased at home depot.

Practal #384424 10/20/12 12:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
John has covered it completely as usual. You will get a wider, better sound field with the vertical M22s than the horizontal VP150. The sub is critical for an in/on wall as they do not reach as low as the bookshelf M22.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044