I really was at odds with how to share my most recent upgrade due to the fact that most here advise against adding external amplification. Or, I should say advise not to add if you don't need to. But how do we all know if we indeed need to, or not with all the variables involved in one's room.

I had folks pass me links to calculators which showed me I could reach certain db levels with "x" amount of power at "x" listening distance. It seemed to make sense from a safety stand point, but for those who may want to "test" their 80's, 60's, 150's or 180's you may just have to see what may be missing.

Now, I'm not a technical person, so do not expect a technical review. I will stress I was not disappointed with the performance of my AVR, but more so interested in what the 80's and 180 would do between their max handling and the proposed 130 watts my Integra was throwing at them. Also, Integra states the 50.1 will push 250 watts @ 4 ohm, but does not state how many channels driven, so again the "unknown" had me wondering.

After weeks of research, and lurking about many forums including here(thanks John, Fred & solardadd)I decided to pull the trigger. I purchased 3 Emotiva UPA-1's to power L/C/R. Seemed to be the best bang for the buck in the neighborhood I was willing to spend on the "unknown". I did not expect a lot, and had all intentions of sending them back if that was the case. Needless to say, they are not going back.

The specs on the UPA-1's state 350 watts @ 4 ohm. Not double the possible 250 Integra states, but closer to the 400 the Axioms can handle.

I should also state I have added GIK room treatments which helped before the amplification was implemented.

I noticed an immediate improvement in sound from the 180. Much more clear dialog, detail in sound effects, clarity at higher volumes, more pronounced bass. The 80's stood out more during music playback, they seemed to come alive with the added power. Again, more clear, accurate at louder volumes,etc. The Q's seemed to gain something from the AVR's rest as they became more pronounced as well.

So, I'm not sure if this is a positive note for amplification of the Axioms, or realization my AVR is not as strong as I had hoped.

Either way, my Axioms sound better in my room, to my ears, with the added power.

Brian

M80's,VP180,QS8's,Epik Empire X 2
Integra 50.1,3 Emotiva UPA-1's,Antimode 8033