I've been looking into a new pair of tower speakers to replace my Energy RC-30s. I'm generally happy with the sound of the Energies; the problem is, I think they are a bit "wimpy" given the size of our room: the main floor of our house is practically completely open. That is, nearly 30x60 with 10 foot ceilings. The main living area (i.e. listening area) is about 23x27.

Further complicating things are placement: the floorplan of our living space is kind of awkward, and the only thing that works visually is corner placement of the TV, flanked on either side by speakers.

Here is a link to a drawing of our floorplan. (Note: many people suggest moving the TV+speakers over to the right wall, where "Sofa 2" currently is. This won't work because there are huge windows running the whole width of the sofa on that wall.)

Finally, I'll add that the room isn't treated, and the flooring is entirely hardwood.

While we use this setup for both music and movies/TV, I want to emphasize music (stereo/2.1 only, no multi-channel).

What I'm looking for is a huge, detailed soundstage. I realize that I'll ultimately be limited by my room and placement with any speakers. But I'm trying to create a shortlist of speakers to audition that are hopefully less sensitive to placement.

For whatever reason, there seem to be a number of reports on the 'net suggesting that the M80s are "bright"; some people even go so far as to call them fatiguing. If there is any merit to this, I'm worried that it might happen or even be exaggerated in my room, given that it's untreated and therefore very "live".

My amp is a Harman/Kardon HK-3490, although I have a QSC RMX 2450 on the way. When I receive this, the HK will become a pre-amp.

Thanks!
Matt

Last edited by matt_garman; 02/16/11 03:56 PM. Reason: added note about stereo/2.1 only