Misc Tech
#944 01/16/02 03:59 PM
P
pbc Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
P
I'll apologize in advance that my questions are somewhat technical and perhaps not entirely suitable for this board but I respect Ian's no nonsense approach so much that I hope he will indulge me a bit. Thanks.

1.) Does the M60 have some kind of interchangeable feet? carpet spikes? And how important is this?

2.) I am currently building a 1-2 cubic foot sealed active sub with EQ that is projected to have an anechoic F3 around 25Hz. Could using a sealed sub with ported mains produce phase problems between the two? If no, would the M60 be a good choice to use with such a unit?

3.) Did you feel that standing waves in sub woofers are not a problem I could just as well use a cubical enclosure?

4.) I am interested in bi-wiring ( not bi-amping) , but I must be missing something - how can this help if:
a) the bass and treble signals are mixed together in both pairs of wires from the amp to the speaker right? No help here
b) the speaker's internal crossover is still being used right? - so any woofer EMF would still be pushed back into it. No help here either.

5.) Does Axiom maintain a blind test listening studio? Seems your friends at Paradigm strike fear in the hearts of audiophiles with theirs!

4.) I gather for past threads that you don't believe in expensive cable? Did the NRC do any testing with different cable types?

many thanks
peter

Re: Misc Tech
#945 01/17/02 05:09 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
There are numerous good to excellent quality speaker cables to fit all budgets. Prices can
range from less than a dollar a metre to several thousand per metre. No doubt you need to
look for a heavy guage (lower guage number, heavier the wire) 10 or 12. Also purchase good
quality connectors for both the eletronics end and the speaker end. Monster Cable is a fairly
common and readily available brand. I would start there, and look upward if your budget
allows.

Make no mistake, cables do have significant effects. While you do not need to spend a fortune, you should at least get a heavy gauge. Speakers are typically specified as a resistance (8ohms), but to an amplifier they can appear as a resistance, inductance and even a capacitance. Added thin wire will increase the resistance, and thereby cause a larger load to the amp when coupled with the speaker.

Regards,

BBIBH

#946 01/17/02 07:41 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
I will put the responses in the same numbered format as your questions, and they are good questions:

1) The M60s do come with interchangeable feet or carpet spikes to accommodate different floor coverings. Isolation of the speaker from the floor can make a very noticeable difference depending on the floor covering and the room. This isolation from the floor results in a bass response that is true to the original design.

2) The phase will not be of any issue. This sub sounds like a good match with the M60s since it reaches down to some very low frequencies, which are below the M60s capability.

3) Standing waves are not an issue in the sub-woofer. The length of the waves at the lower frequencies and the possible effect on the woofer accuracy at the large excursion frequencies, eliminate the problem inherently.

4) As you may have deduced from other posts, I am not a fan of bi-wiring. Besides the points you made any possible advantage could be achieved by increasing the gauge of the speaker wire.

5) Yes we do, more than one in fact, and the results from our blind testing facilities are god to us.

6) A test of cable was conducted by AES some years ago and the results were conclusive, that a decent cable from the hardware store of an appropriate gauge for distance and power considerations, was comparable to some very expensive cables that they tested.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer

Ian Colquhoun
#947 01/17/02 08:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Your comment in #6 interests me. What was tested? Your answer reads that "technically" the cables were tested. If that was true, you simply measured resistance, etc while placing input to the wires, and measured outputs?

Regards,

BBIBH

#948 01/18/02 12:26 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Actually it was a proper psycho acoustical test done in a blind environment with various "golden ears" and audio cable people.

Ian Colquhoun

Ian Colquhoun

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616