I picked up a Yamaha HTR-5760 (similar to RXV-650/750) for auditioning. It has pre-outs, so I was thinking of getting an amp as a next phase of upgrade and use it to power the center channel and and/or mains. I have M22 mains, VP150 center, QS4's and one QS8 (6.1 config).

Anyway, for experimentation I started to play with my old receiver (Onkyo HTR-510). I has 6.1 analog multichannel inputs, typically used for connecting DVD-A or SACD player. So I connected the Center pre-out of the Yamaha to the Oknyo multichannel Center input. This appears to work, and Onkyo is driving the center. I had to crank up the volume quite a bit on Onkyo to match the levels of the other speakers on the Yamaha. Does this make sense to try this arrangement to tide me over until I can get an amp?

For further experimentation, I connected the Center preout on the Yamaha via a Y-cable to the Left and Right multichannel inputs on the Onkyo. Then I connected the VP150 to the Left speaker connection on the Onkyo and an older center channel speaker to the right speaker connector. I thought this might be an alternative to connecting both speakers in parallel to the same connector. So I wanted to "prototype" an external amp driving two center speakers. I have a front projection system and am thinking of a center speaker below and above the screen like I've seen mentioned on this forum. For now, forget the obvious issues about two different types of speakers (timbre-matching, etc.) Would this arrangement technically "work", at least until I can afford the amp. If I can do this with the two receivers, then I would buy a second Axiom center speaker.

thanks in advance for any advice.