Print Thread
Rate Thread
Tech Spec Clarification request
#48171 06/04/04 11:20 PM
James_T Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
This is not so much a full-on question as a request for clarification and my googling is not getting me info quickly enough:

The specs for my beloved M22ti speakers.

Freq Resp +/-3dB (Hz) 60-22K
Freq Resp +3dB/-9dB (Hz) 50-22K
SPL in Room 1w/1m 93 dB
Anechoic SPL 1w/1m 89 dB

Are the following to interpretations correct?
The first line means that the Frequency response between 60-22K fluctuates + or – 3 decibels. The second means that the Frequency Response between 50-22K is +3 to –9 decibels.
Why not just say 50-22K +3dB/-9dB since 50 Hz is lower than 60Hz? Right?
I assume there is something I am missing. Please expound!

Now for the two SPL lines.
Does the 1w/1m 93dB mean One watt of power measured one meter from the speaker produces a SPL of 93 dB.
What is the difference between ‘Room’ and ‘Anechoic’ (which I assume is an NRC chamber) and why is this important? If Room is just any old room why give me that information since it’s totally subjective (what I have in my room is not what you have in yours)?
What does this tell me about the speaker?
It’s sensitivity? What does that mean? That it can play louder at lower wattages than other speakers?

I might already have some of the answers, but would like to be sure so I don’t end up talking out of my --- in the future. Plus more and more people are asking me for advice and I don't want to steer them wrong! Yeah, I know Axioms can't be wrong, but I at least TRY to be objective.

Thank you mucho- JR

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
Re: Tech Spec Clarification request
#48172 06/05/04 12:17 AM
shareholder in the making
OK here goes.

The reason the freq. response specs are separate is that the +/-3db reading lets you know that the speaker can go down to 60Hz without dropping in loudness by more than 3db. While the speaker does have output at 50Hz, that's at a -9db level -- which is a very significant drop in loudness.

You have the SPL measurement setup correct. 1 watt of power is applied and a mic is placed 1 meter away from the speaker. The anechoic measurement lets you know how efficient the speaker is without assistance from room interactions, and the in room measurment lets you know how efficient it can be in a typical room.

Are you sassified?

#48173 06/05/04 02:52 AM
James_T Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Thanks peter. I am not sure if I am 'sassified' but I do appreciate the information...

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#48174 06/05/04 04:22 AM
J
frequent flier
frequent flier
J
Regarding:

So the speaker does not drop in loudness by more than 3db from the reference level? But how is this reference level established?

#48175 06/05/04 06:14 AM
JR and JBM, I'll try a little more sassifictition. The frequency spec question was discussed by Ian and others in this thread a couple of years ago and may be of some interest. In relation to the -9dB bass falloff point, it's also interesting to note that in a paper by Dr. Toole, who researched these matters at the NRC with his colleagues(including Ian and Alan), he uses -10dB below the 300-3000Hz average as being the best figure for usable bass extension. The =/- 3dB spec is simply what is commonly adopted for describing speakers.

As to the sensitivity specs, since the walls of the anechoic chamber at the NRC reflect essentially no sound to be added to the direct sound entering the microphone, in a typical listening room the reflections add to the sound level which was measured anechoically. This varies with the liveness of each room, of course, but a 3dB increase is often suggested for a typical room. A related aspect is that although loudness drops 6dB for each doubling of listener distance under anechoic conditions(e.g. at 4 meters it would be 12dB lower than at the 1 meter distance at which the sensitivity was specified)in a live listening room the decrease would be more on the order of 3-4dB per doubling of distance and the power required for a comfortably loud listening level wouldn't be increased as much(probably in the area of 2 watts would do).

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup