Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Sideways Subwoofer
#94464 05/16/05 02:01 PM
regular
OP Offline
regular
I'm about to pull the trigger on either an Epic Master 175 or 350 system, but I have a slight problem. The cabinet where I plan to place the subwoofer does not have enough headroom for either of these. My question is this: is it possible to place the sub on its side, and are there any performance degradation problems with doing so? I would imagine at the very least I'd have to mount feet on the side that it's lying on...

Re: Sideways Subwoofer
#94465 05/16/05 02:15 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
are you putting the sub INSIDE the cabinet..?

i think that would be your first mistake.. thats just a bad idea. the sub needs airflow, and it will probably rattle that cabinet to death.. you wont like that at all.

try and find another option cause putting a sub into any kind of enclosure is just not good.

and i have no answer to your question, cause i have never placed a sub on its side.. my guess would be that it should have little to no effect on the amount of bass being produced. the magnet and cone of a speaker have no idea if they are upside-down or sideways, so it shouldnt make much difference. but, like i said, i have NO direct experience.. so, i would maybe see what others had to say..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#94466 05/16/05 04:23 PM
regular
OP Offline
regular
bigjohn, yes I am putting it inside the cabinet. I know it's not the ideal, but it's a built-in entertainment center with a space under the TV. There are doors, but they are covered with speaker foam. I'd attach a picture, but I don't know how. Plus, I really don't have anywhere else to put it.

With the sub on its side, there should be plenty of room aound all sides, plus the "vented" doors in front of it.

#94467 05/16/05 08:01 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Hi wolfbuff

Both of these subs are front firing and front ported so mounting them on their side inside a cabinet should not be a huge concern. Just be careful setting the sub volume and crossover controls. They are on the back of the sub so if you do not have an opening in the back of your cabinet you will have to remove the sub everytime you make these adjustments. Luckily, once you have the sub sounding like you want it you shouldn't have to play with the settings again.

Make sure you put some rubber feet on the down-facing side of the sub to prevent vibration between it and the cabinet. These subs produce some serious bass and will rattle anything that's loose in your cabinet.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,046 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup