Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Receiver problem?
#263987 06/17/09 10:18 AM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Can one channel of an AVR fade some without completely going out? Is this likely to mean it’s going to drop out completely?

Not finding much info on the internet about one channel fading but not just dying completely. A couple of times over the last week I’ve noticed the front soundstage in 2ch stereo was pulling to the right. I swapped speakers and the left channel still seemed week (had to turn it up by 5dB to re-center the front soundstage).

Also, when this happens the depth of the left soundstage retreats back to the speaker even when I adjust the volume. What I mean is that normally with things set up the way they are now I can usually here some sounds coming from the left and right speakers as if they are coming from over either shoulder behind me. However, when this happens the right side continues to sound like this but the left side just sounds like it’s coming from the speaker.

It’s happening with all sources and inputs I use so I don’t think the problem is on that end. Occasionally when I start it up everything shifts back so I have to readjust the volume to normal but then after playing a while I notice the left channel has faded out some again.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
Re: Receiver problem?
grunt #263993 06/17/09 11:57 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes, it can. It happened to me twice in my life (including once with my original A1400 that had the bad batch of relays). In one case it never failed per se, but never recovered. In the case of the A1400, the elaborate self-check the unit performs on startup eventually gave up and decided it was unwise to power up the unit (and then Purolator showed up at my door 40 hours later with a replacement!).

Also check your cables and connections just in case.

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #264043 06/17/09 07:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Cables would be my first guess - call the Deaf Monk, I'm sure he can hook you up. Otherwise, i got Nada on this.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Zimm #264058 06/17/09 10:13 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I used to experience this in analog-land. Dirty balance knob pots.

I'm helping! (not)

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
grunt #264067 06/18/09 01:45 AM
shareholder in the making
Well Dean, I think we can answer yes, that one channel can fade, because it's doing it. Now the only question is why. You said that it affected all sources; does that include FM(to eliminate any question about dirty input connections upstream)? You switched speakers to eliminate that question; did you switch speaker wires to check for dirt/corrosion at that point?

If it's something internal to the Denon, all that any of us could do would be to make guesses about various parts that might be fluctuating in function, so I suppose that it would have to be taken in for tests.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #264078 06/18/09 07:30 AM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks for the responses, I just swapped the speakers wires (14 gauge from Home Labyrinth) and the problem stayed with the left channel. Too bad because that would have been a nice simple fix.

John the one input I’m not using is the tuner. IMHO Phoenix radio stations suck so the only time I listen is in the car to NPR, KJAZ, a classical station and Alice Cooper’s show on KDKB though I think the jerks must have just switched the timeslot on me. If I can find the antenna (still packed from moving) I’ll give it a try.

The inputs I am using are HDMI2 (DVD player), HDMI1 (Xbox, Cable box), Coax (HTPC1), Optical 1 (HTPC2) and Analogue L/R (regular computer). All of these inputs are effected but I really notice it most when listening to music no mater the source.

Originally Posted By: Zimm

call the Deaf Monk, I'm sure he can hook you up.

I’ve been playing Buddhist stuff for 2 days thinking he would show up. And then I realize “doh!” he’s deaf.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #264086 06/18/09 01:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi grunt,

I'd agree with JohnK and Tom; it's unusual, and something that I associate with vacuum-tube gear back in the '50s and '60s, but it doesn't mean it can't happen with solid-state amplification, whether in a preamp or amp section of a receiver.

If you have an old stereo amp lying around, you might try taking the Denon's preamp output from the left channel and running it through one channel of the stereo amp (use any line-level input, like CD or tape), to see if the fading continues. If so, then the problem would be confined to the preamp section of the Denon. If the fading stops, then the problem would be in the amp board output section for the Denon's left channel.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #264098 06/18/09 04:34 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
A few years back I had a somewhat similar problem with a Yamaha receiver I had that culminated in the channel dying altogether.
Perhaps Alan could elaborate but in my case it was a DAC for that particular channel that finally gave up the ghost and had to be replaced. Not cheap either, about $200 bucks!

casey01 #264107 06/18/09 06:50 PM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: alan

I'd agree with JohnK and Tom; it's unusual, and something that I associate with vacuum-tube gear back in the '50s and '60s, but it doesn't mean it can't happen with solid-state amplification, whether in a preamp or amp section of a receiver.

I thought it was odd since I couldn’t find much about this searching the internet. Seemed the few discussions did find seemed to indicate that if this did happen the whole channel usually went out in short order, which (fingers crossed) doesn’t seem to be happening.

Unfortunately I don’t have an old amp as I’ve only recently gotten into good audio but I might be able to borrow one. I did just try my headphones and the left channel needs bumped up the same amount to balance with the right channel. Not sure if that might help narrow things down since I don’t know anything about the internal workings of an AVR.

Something else I also noticed on the headphones that I though I was hearing from the speakers is that the effect I’m hearing isn’t just pulling the soundstage to the right but seems to be collapsing the depth of the soundstage. This was even more noticeable on the headphones. It almost seems like some frequencies are being effected more than others but it’s hard to tell.

Just to eliminate bad hearing I check the speakers sitting backwards and the left channel stayed the weak one same thing when I just turned the headphones around.

Originally Posted By: casey01

Perhaps Alan could elaborate but in my case it was a DAC for that particular channel that finally gave up the ghost and had to be replaced. Not cheap either, about $200 bucks!

Well I bought this B-Stock 2 1/2 years ago so if it dies I won’t be heartbroken. I just hoped to put off the upgrade purchase until I’m ready to buy a Blu-Ray player and projector/screen. Money is already put aside for the purchases but I’ve been taking my time enjoying my system since I moved from the apartment to house. Just didn’t want to purchase anything until the room is ready which I’m about to start working on. I keep saying that every week…

Last edited by grunt; 06/18/09 07:19 PM.

grunt #264140 06/19/09 01:50 AM
Dean, the fact that it also affects the headphones doesn't narrow the possibilities. Contrary to some beliefs of headphone enthusiasts that receivers use a "cheap" separate headphone amplifier, most(all?)receivers use the same amplifier as is used for the speakers, but with the output appropriately attenuated to match the phones. This is why the speakers are cut off when the phones are plugged in.

I'm still curious if the problem exists on FM, since that eliminates a lot of the upstream input circuitry that affects other sources.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082