4 ohms impendence/400 watts on a consumer reciever
#739 01/02/02 07:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i would like to audition the vp150 for a center channel, but i have a yamaha htr-5440. my reciever doesnt compare to the onkyo (in the previous post), so i wonder how my reciever would handle the vp150. what would be the negative effects on my reciever, if any? or would the sound just not be very loud?

Re: 4 ohms impendence/400 watts on a consumer reciever
#740 01/03/02 12:35 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
No problem with the Yamaha and the VP150. The Yamaha amps are very stable and the VP150 is a very easy load for a less than 8-ohm speaker.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer

Ian Colquhoun
#741 01/04/02 09:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
oh. ok. but the vp150 is rated at 400 watts max output. would this mean that my reciever wont play it as loud as it could?

#742 01/04/02 09:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hehe i forgot to change the username on the previous post. its still me though :)~

and i forgot to ask how my reciever will handle the 400 watts max. i really dont know how watts are related to speakers and recievers, so any additional information on how it works would be helpful

#743 01/05/02 12:20 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
This is probably one of the most widely misunderstood relationships. One reason for this is amp clipping; this is a state that the amplifier goes into when it cannot produce the power being asked of it. Since music, and movies, are not a constant tone this condition will start to happen at higher volume levels on just the parts of the information that are recorded at the highest levels. Add to this that some amplifiers are better than others at maintaining these bursts of required energy and you have made the whole equation even more complicated. But assuming a constant here for the purpose of this explanation, the higher the power of the amplifier the less likely it is to clip when asked to produce short bursts of energy. Since clipping both sounds distorted and is like dead shorting your speaker, this is a condition to avoid since it will sound bad and risk damaging the speaker. Beyond this when it comes to rating the wattage of a speaker the same "problem" exists, the power is not constant in the real world. The most common test for determining the speaker wattage is modified pink noise at the max power level for 8 hours should not cause speaker damage. This however is meaningless in the real world if the speaker does not have the mechanical where with all to survive the short burst of high power without distorting or damage. So now that I have probably made the whole question even more confusing, the short answer is that the VP150 is designed to reproduce both high continuous output and short bursts of very high output without distortion or damage. As long as you stay out of clipping the VP150 will deliver on high power. As a further note to all of this, the VP150 is also very good at surviving a modest amount of clipping. The VP150, along with the rest of our models, has very good voice coil heat dissipation which will mean it can withstand a certain amount of clipping because the energy is turned into heat in the voice coil when the speaker is driven into clipping.

Ian Colquhoun

Ian Colquhoun
#744 01/07/02 07:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
alright. thanks! you've been very helpful.

#745 01/11/02 02:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are more likely to damage the speakers by driving the receiver hard, and into the condition Ian mentions. Your rec'vr will not deliver the rated power....it is simply not designed with the proper output stage or power supply to deliver the current required. By attempting to demand full volume from it, it will produce sever distortion....Worst case would be destruction of both output stage (I hesitate to say transitor stage, because most Japanese equipment is made from Integrated Circuits to meet price points in the market) and speaker damage.

The Onkyo you mention may be of more robust design, depending on the model. It may also be very similar.

BBIBH

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters