Print Thread
Rate Thread
Efficiency of Speakers?
#143401 07/12/06 11:51 PM
C
ChuckD Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I'm new to all of this and so I'm in "learning" mode. Here's my question. I stopped by a Kli**** dealer the other day and listened to that brand of speakers. The dealer had the level turned down to what I'd call "conversation" level (not loud at all), and I could hear every note, every sound, etc.. He told me this was the "efficiency" of that brand of speaker - and that it would be difficult to find this efficiency in other manufacturers' products. I liked listening at that level, and would do so occasionally. My question is whether speakers like Axiom's are as efficient, and if I'd be happy with the sound at normal levels, or do they have to be turned up in order to pick up everything? (I know this is vague, but please bear with me). Thanks.

Re: Efficiency of Speakers?
ChuckD #143402 07/13/06 12:47 AM
axiomite
axiomite
That's a good question. Efficiency is actually how loudly a speaker sounds when playing a signal at a specific power level and doesn't have much to do with clarity.

Klipsch speakers are generally known for being efficient, however, so the dealer was half right.

Clarity at low levels of loudness is more a function of how accurate the speaker is across the frequency range. Axioms are known for being very "detailed", which I believe is the same thing you are describing, although it never hurts to try and listen to a pair if you can.

The biggest thing I liked about my Axioms was their ability to pick apart the different notes and sounds, eg "oh, I see, that's an electric bass *and* a bass synth playing at the same time, you can hear the electric bass fumble a note occasionally". Other people talk about hearing pick noise on guitars, players shuffling their feet etc..

Axioms obviously aren't the only speakers which reproduce sound with this clarity, but they do seem to be very good.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
ChuckD #143403 07/13/06 12:50 AM
axiomite
axiomite
My circumstances rarely permit me to open up my system and, though my neighbors would probably disagree, I listen at relatively low volume most of the time. Just my opinion, but I think the Axioms are exceptional at low volume. I consider it one of their strong points.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
ChuckD #143404 07/13/06 02:24 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Chuck, welcome. What the brand K dealer said confused two entirely different points, as John B. indicated. The Ks are more efficient in the use of amplifier power than most speakers, so for a given sound level they use less watts. This isn't really that much of an advantage however, because these days clean amp power is cheap and plentiful and should rarely be a major factor in a speaker decision.

The clarity of a speaker at moderate(or any)sound levels depends on factors such as the flatness of the frequency response, relatively low distortion, good transient response, etc., but isn't related to efficiency.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

bridgman #143405 07/13/06 03:27 PM
old hand
old hand
Quote:

The biggest thing I liked about my Axioms was their ability to pick apart the different notes and sounds, eg "oh, I see, that's an electric bass *and* a bass synth playing at the same time, you can hear the electric bass fumble a note occasionally". Other people talk about hearing pick noise on guitars, players shuffling their feet etc..

With my M60s, I can hear pick noise on guitars, the fingers shifting through the strings on the guitar neck, the subtle sound from a percussion played in the music background, etc. And all that with relatively low volume (definitely not earth shaking volume)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,478
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,377 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup