Rate Thread
Auto Set Up can't hear my sub
#176898 09/19/07 12:54 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Hi folks, anyone have this happen?

I had never yet played with the auto-EQ of my Denon 3608 because I wanted to try it without it for a while then see if I liked the changes it made once I was used to it without. Then procrastination hit and I didn't get around to it until last night. Never got past the first test.

Can't get by the speaker discovery part. It says there is too much ambiant noise or my levels are too low.

It seems to be not hearing the sub because it keeps repeating the sub test noises about 4 times, getting louder each time. I experimented by disconnecting the left front and it also repeated it's tones when normally it only did that speaker once. This would seem to indicate repetition indicates it can't hear that speaker.

What I have tried.
Turned off air exchanger, put clickety footed dog outside, turned up levels on my sub until the wall behind it made more noise than my sub did, I think I proved it is the sub it can't identify (see above), Yes! I had the mic plugged in and confirmed setting for mic input was correct. Sprinkled non-conductive, Holy-plasma over my receiver to make sure there were no evil spirits from Randy's house.

Anybody ever have a similar issue who can shed some light? I should mention I did use the Auto Room Setup for speaker levels on several occasions, just not the EQ part, and it worked fine except for the sub distance being misrepresented but I expected that.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Re: Auto Set Up can't hear my sub
Murph #176899 09/19/07 01:06 PM
B
buff
buff
B
Very common problem with auto-setups. Just set it by hand with your SPL meter if you have one.

Bill3508

Bill3508 #176900 09/19/07 01:17 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Sorry, perhaps I wasn't as clear as needed. All my SPL levels are set by hand already. No problem there. However, I wanted to try out the Auto EQ features where it adjusts the EQ levels for my room characteristics.

I can't get to this feature until it gets by a full speaker detection.

Murph #176901 09/19/07 02:04 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't as clear as needed. All my SPL levels are set by hand already. No problem there. However, I wanted to try out the Auto EQ features where it adjusts the EQ levels for my room characteristics.

I can't get to this feature until it gets by a full speaker detection.

Murph,

You're going to want to get rid of all auto EQ stuff from your receiver. It does not help your room EQ as much as it makes you believe...at least for me it didn't.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Murph #176902 09/19/07 02:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Murph,

The auto-setup modes of most AV receivers tend to be notoriously inaccurate and error-prone for subwoofers, and, as you found, sometimes indicate the sub is 28 feet away when it's close by. There are so many variables with standing waves and the individual dimensions of each room, that it's really too much to expect the auto setup modes to do anything well with subwoofer setup.

So it's best to ignore that part of the auto setup. As far as the auto-EQ functions, they may be effective for crummy non-linear speakers but usually make things worse if you are using neutral linear speakers like Axioms.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #176903 09/19/07 06:24 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks Guys!!
I will not worry at all then that I can not get this working.
I had actually read, here of course, Auto-EQ was not recommended for M60s and probably all Axiom speakers but I'm the kind of guy that must constantly tinker.

My patience isn't what it used to be though so if there is not great odds off a potential gain, then my laziness can easily overcome my curiosity.

Thanks again and I feel I should add. I frequent a lot of different technical web boards. Axiom is the only one where the staff routinely jump in with helpful advice for both the experts and neophytes. Thanks Alan, Amie and any other staff who take the time to read and post. It is noted and appreciated.

alan #176904 09/19/07 07:00 PM
old hand
old hand
Quote:

Hi Murph,

The auto-setup modes of most AV receivers tend to be notoriously inaccurate and error-prone for subwoofers, and, as you found, sometimes indicate the sub is 28 feet away when it's close by. There are so many variables with standing waves and the individual dimensions of each room, that it's really too much to expect the auto setup modes to do anything well with subwoofer setup.

So it's best to ignore that part of the auto setup. As far as the auto-EQ functions, they may be effective for crummy non-linear speakers but usually make things worse if you are using neutral linear speakers like Axioms.

Regards,

I have found that the auto setup feature of my Pioneer VSX-817 (MCACC) works great! In fact, some people feel that MCACC works better than Audysey in the Denon's.

Yes, it says the sub is about 10' farther away than it really is BUT THAT IS WHAT YOU WANT! By setting the sub farther away it causes the LFE chanel to output a few miliseconds earlier which makes the sound nice and tight.

I too thought that the sub setting was way off until I did some research on the subject and a few experiments to determine that it did sound better when set about 10' farther away then it actually is. YMMV

"Tis better to desire that which you do not have, than to have that which you do not desire!"
Joey #176905 09/19/07 07:53 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Joey,

I'm glad you've had success with the Pioneer's MCACC auto setup feature and I'd agree that there may be some situations or rooms where the auto-EQ might improve things. I haven't yet had a demo that convinced me that the auto-EQ feature improved the overall sound quality. Still, it's useful to get some feedback.

Murph should feel free to experiment with his Denon.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082