Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Elastomeric paint coatings for stucco- anyone?
#296395 03/13/10 05:32 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Has anyone had good or bad experiences with elastomeric paint on their stucco coated homes?

My mother is looking into getting her stucco redone and i've looked around a bit for information but i'm finding little in the way of reviews. Behr makes an elastomeric paint and i've always like their products so i'm tending to think the concept is a decent one.

Any advice?
Experiences to share?
Anyone in that cold Canada climate that has tested the material?
Idea of cost?

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: Elastomeric paint coatings for stucco- anyone?
chesseroo #296399 03/13/10 05:43 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
We're all too stupid to help!

Sorry, sorry, that was my customer service training kicking in. I really do have no advice, though. I have to be the most useless top poster here. I think I've earned it.

CV #296401 03/13/10 05:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Sounds sort of like paint on spamdex (I'm competing with CV).

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
CV #296402 03/13/10 05:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Never used elastomeric paint before but a quick googling looks like as long as you prepare the surface properly and apply your paint at 50F or higher, you should be OK. Some people say you need to apply 2 coats to get the correct thickness, but I didn't see that on Behr's application notes. Sounds like prepping the surface is very important for this type of paint.

Probably a bad idea to apply when it's humid, like any other paint, too.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
CV #296403 03/13/10 05:54 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: CV
We're all too stupid to help!

Sorry, sorry, that was my customer service training kicking in. I really do have no advice, though. I have to be the most useless top poster here. I think I've earned it.

You think you're more useless than Peter and Ken's posts?
I dunno, that's quite a race for the top spot!
;\)

Adrian #296404 03/13/10 05:55 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
Never used elastomeric paint before but a quick googling looks like as long as you prepare the surface properly and apply your paint at 50F or higher, you should be OK. Some people say you need to apply 2 coats to get the correct thickness, but I didn't see that on Behr's application notes. Sounds like prepping the surface is very important for this type of paint.

Probably a bad idea to apply when it's humid, like any other paint, too.

Well this is my problem.
I've read about what it is, how to apply it, large brand names that make it, a few negatives and positives on some forums, but i don't know ANYONE that has actually put it on their own home.
Makes me wonder.

chesseroo #296407 03/13/10 06:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Anyone or any neighbourhoods near you where stucco is common?

Seems the negatives centre on the fact that elastomeric paint does not allow the stucco to "breathe" therefore it's important for the wall to be dry so that moisture does not get trapped by the paint.

Adrian #296409 03/13/10 06:21 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Lots of stucco homes down my way but I don't know of anybody that has used it. Chess I have a buddy near Tampa who owns a painting company, I'll give him a call and ask his opinion. He has painted hundreds of homes in the Orlando area.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #296419 03/13/10 07:03 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: RickF
Lots of stucco homes down my way but I don't know of anybody that has used it. Chess I have a buddy near Tampa who owns a painting company, I'll give him a call and ask his opinion. He has painted hundreds of homes in the Orlando area.

I only wonder if some of the information wouldn't be specific toward that of a different climate.
Our air is dry in the Peg and we can get hot summers. I'm not that concerned about day to day air moisture, but from what i've read on the forums, if the coating isn't applied properly and water from rain gets 'behind' the coating, then it gets trapped and could cause wall damage, or secondly, if water or moisture does get behind the paint, bubbling occurs?

Like i said, i can't seem to find enough solid info on this. It seems to also cost considerably more than vinyl paint. I think i read to expect 50% more cost to apply?

As for living in an area of stucco homes, anyone who has been to the Peg knows we live in a "sugar cube" city.
Virtually all new housing neighborhoods in the past 10 years were being built (some are still being built) with the same colour of off white stucco for 90% of a house exterior in this area. Only recently have i seen some of these neighborhood builders start using some slightly different tints for colour variation.

East coasters use aluminum siding.
West coasters have non organic based roofing.
Ontarians have alot of brick.
Here in the prairies, stucco reigns supreme as a house exterior coating.
Its a regional thing, aside from the fact that Manitobans are among the cheapest bastards who ever walked the earth and you can't get much cheaper than spraying a house exterior with stucco. I had a friend of mine haggle with Sears over pricing on a pillow and they actually gave him the price he wanted.
I mean really, who the HELL haggles with a box store like SEARS?? And on a twenty dollar pillow??
I'll tell you who, Manitobans, that's who.

chesseroo #296424 03/13/10 07:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You should take your friend with you to Home Depot to "haggle" a better price on the Behr paint, lol. Actually, I went with my neighbour yesterday to HD because they needed some interior paint. They needed 3 cans of Behr and mentioned to the clerk that Rona had a 3 for 2 sale on SICO paint, so they gave him the third can of Behr for free!! I thought that was quite good of HD considering they weren't technically the same product they were price matching. Maybe you could get the same deal, worth a try esp since you'll need quite a few gallons.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters