Something seems to have come loose in the upper mid-range driver of one of my M80s. At least, that's my conclusion. I'll describe the symptoms below. I'll be calling Axiom technical support soon, I imagine, but I thought one of you might have a suggestion.

I've been hearing some harsh distortion sounds, occasionally, for a while. Piano music, women's chorals would sometimes do it. I had the impression it was coming from the left side, somewhere. I found a TV movie today, Prometheus, with 30 seconds of music that made the problem very prominent, and I started replaying it and putting my ear up to various speakers. I found it. It was coming from my left front, an M80 v3 I bought 2+ years ago. More specifically, from the driver right under the two tweeters.

I found that if I pressed lightly on the right exterior of the cone the distortion went away -- mostly anyway. So I put in place a temporary fix. I have a rolled up piece of cotton gauze pressing against the cone secured by a long piece of Scotch tape across the front of the cabinet (behind the grill). It sounds much better now.

So, it's no longer an urgent problem, but I ought to do something more permanent. I have never had the M80 apart, so I have no idea what's inside.

Greg
VP180, M80s, M22s, QS8(4), CSW S305s, EP500, Pioneer VSX-90
M2i, M3(2), Pio vsx-1020