Print Thread
Rate Thread
Great Music You've Never Heard
#207188 05/07/08 05:12 PM
Amie Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Inspired by a shoutbox conversation last week, I was thinking we should start a thread of great 'regional' music that other people may not know. We may discover some great artists!

Due to the dubious blessings of the CRTC, Canadians listen to an awful lot of Canadian music, every hour the radio is on. I had one song in particular by Amanda Marshall stuck in my head last week after a particularly wild girls' weekend (I'll let you guess the song) and until then I don't think I realized she is Canadian. She toured with Jeff Healy, if you're familiar with his work.

Recommended tunes: Birmingham, Let It Rain, Fall From Grace and Sunday Morning After

Anyone else have a great regional artist to recommend?

Re: Great Music You've Never Heard
Amie #207193 05/07/08 05:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Don't know if you are including oldies, but I have one. Back in the 1980s I frequented the club scene in Athens, GA and was really impressed with Guadalcanal Diary, a local band with a great power pop/rock sound. They never made it as big as R.E.M. or the B-52's, but they are worth a look.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #207551 05/09/08 02:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I've been a pretty big fan of a band called Virginia Coalition for a bunch of years now. They are a local Alexandria, VA band that has been getting some regional and semi-national attention lately. These guys grew up in my hometown and went to the local high school.

They're a great, soulful mix of pop, rock and go-go, with some country pickin' thrown in for flavor. Definitely an interesting blend of influences. The singer's got a great voice and the song-writing is top notch, especially on their later albums.

Check out "Ok to Go" or "Rock n' Roll Party." Or better yet, check out their very righteous "Live at the 9:30 Club" which captures their live concert energy remarkably well. They've just released another album called "Home This Year" which I have bought, but haven't listened to, because it is en route via mail right now.

Enjoy.

Capn_Pickard #207620 05/09/08 07:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The Maritimes has become a veritable hotbed of rising stars the last few years. It's amazing how little town artists are no longer limited to their own region anymore and can rise to National and even International recognition.

Some of the hottest alternative/rock acts right now include
- The Chucky Danger Band (Extremely popular)

- In Flight Safety
- Two Hours Traffic
Not as popular as Chucky Danger but getting there. If you watch any of the big name TV series like "The OC" you have heard their music in the background.

- A personal favorite of mine is the Joel Plaskett Emergency. Joel is an extremely talented musician/songwriter who can span all sorts of Genres. He is also sought after by newer bands as a formidable producer.

- The Trews are best enjoyed live for their amazing ability to get a crowd rockin but their CDs are good as well.

I hate to reference country but George Canyon is now almost too big to mention in this thread, at least in Canada.

For the more classically minded, I have previously mentioned Este Mundo's 'Isla Rosada' as being an amazing sounding CD of Spanish Influence.

And of Course! Being the Maritime's we have some of the best Maritime and Celtic performers in the World.

- Natalie McMaster, traditional fiddling, The best traditional fiddler of our generation. A real hottie too. ;\)

- Mary Jane Lamont. One of rare and diminishing few remaining Maritimer's who still speak Gaelic and one of a handful of those who's songs in Gaelic have gotten a lot of airplay on pop radio.

- Signal Hill, The best Celtic Rock going- If you can find them live I guarantee you can't resist dancing.

- MacKeel - Electric Guitars and bagpipes, Newfoundland Music with a rock twist = 2X the energy.

- I'm guessing you may have heard of Great Big Sea. Internationally renowned for their 'energetic' to say the least renditions of traditional Newfoundland songs and their own tunes.

- Finally, my hometown hero. Also Internationally known but I'm betting many of you never hear of him because of the genre. Lennie Gallant. Folk, folk rock, sometimes bluesee, some purely French Acadian. If you try anybody on the list check out his "Live" album. The acoustics on it are amazing and there are tons of instruments from strings to horns that will jump out of your Axioms. His songwriting is also true storytelling at its finest.

I could list soooo many more but I'm out of time.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #207623 05/09/08 08:01 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
One I'm not sure a lot of people know about is Eddie From Ohio. I think they're actually from Virginia. They do folk rock type stuff, and are sort of similar to Moxy Fruvous in attitude and humor. Tons of albums out, but their live stuff is better.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Amie #207676 05/10/08 02:16 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Amanda has one heck of a voice. I tend to have the CBC on as background music so I get exposed to a lot of Canadian talent. There are some really good female blues and jazz vocalists out there.
I like some of Joel Plasket's stuff. Sarah Harmer (sp?) does some really good stuff too.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #207693 05/10/08 07:30 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
One that most of the "contemporary" listeners here will probably enjoy is Jaylene Johnson. I'm not a fan of adult contemporary/gospel and I still bought... I think 4 of her albums/EPs?

She's been on a bunch of TV soundtracks (Joan of Arcadia, Lipstick Jungle, Dawson's Creek)... she's also one of the luckiest/unluckiest people I've met - after releasing her "Finding Beautiful" album, driving back from Ontario, she was involved in a head-on collision with a tractor trailer and lived. She's finally (mostly?) over her injuries and singing herself and penning songs for other artists again.

I sound like her biography or something... but I've gone from hearing a song and appreciating the music even though it's out of my comfort zone, to respecting the artist for her strength and courage, to (platonically, weirdos) loving the person for who she is.

Still weird to have an album with " Butterfly Girl " on it beside an album with " Let's Lynch the Landlord " on it in my collection.

Bren R.

Amie #207743 05/11/08 12:33 AM
local
local
Minnesota Blues

Koerner, Ray and Glover-"Blues, Rags, and Hollers" is an amazing, definitive blues collection. Spider John Koerner, Dave Ray and Tony Glover are legendary in the Twin Cities Blues community.

Lamont Cranston - Pat Hayes has led this band for 30+ years. They toured with the Rolling Stones in the 70's. Had a hit single with "Upper Mississippi Shakedown". Keyboardist Bruce McCabe toured with and produced for Jonny Lang and is a solid writer and performer.

Willy Murphy-Blues and R&B keyboardist who recorded a classic with Spider John Koerner called "Running Jumping Standing Still".

M22's, VP150, QS4's, HK 630, HSU VTF3-MKII
Amie #207759 05/11/08 05:21 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Amie,

Nancy Lamott: NYC Markets, on a smaller Label 'Midder Music.'

I stumbled upon her Music quite by accident. Her style is like a
cross between a Ballad singer, and a Cabaret Singer. Not my usual "cup of tea", but...a voice so beautiful, you will be moved. She has to be one of the most underrated Singers...EVER!
The best way to hear for yourself is Amazon...you can hear samples there.
"Beautiful Baby" (with "Skylark", and "Blue Skies" the stand out tracks for me), and "My foolish heart" are two of the best CD's to check out first.
But fair warning, when you look further into information about Nancy Lamott....there is tragic element.

Larry

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082