Thread Like Summary
aaaaaaaaaaaaa, Mojo
Original Post (Thread Starter)
One pair or two pairs of M3 ceiling speakers? #426406 08/19/2017 3:05 PM
by edvacdude
edvacdude
All, I purchased a complete set of Axiom speakers for a 7.1 configuration more than 10 years back, which along with a Denon 3805 and a Denon universal DVD player, 'made my cup overflow' with music bliss (OK on the visual side with a Panny 42" TV).

Five years back, a Hsu sub added the oomph for classical tracks that are on the low frequency side like organ music, and for movies like U-571. A few years back I sprung for a projector and a BD player (with 7.1 analog outputs) that significantly improved the visual side of my previously music focused configuration. A day back I purchased a new Marantz SR6011 Dolby Atmos (supports 11.2 with extra amp) receiver. Though the Denon 3805 was a great receiver (driving the 4 ohm M80s with ease, and supporting 7.1 analog inputs for either the Universal DVD OR BD player), the lack of HDMI was getting to be increasing a serious handicap.

Now, the $1,000 question. Since my media room measures 16' long, 15' wide, and 10' feet high, would I be served best with TWO sets of ceiling speakers, or one pair? If the spend on the extra $500 will not provide me an appreciable increase in fidelity on the sound track of movies with overhead action, especially given the length of my room, then I don't think I need the 2nd pair.

Aside
The seating position (4 seats) is roughly 9' from the screen in a slight arc. The rear speakers are 7' behind the seating area (the room being 16' long). I'll have to lower the sides/rear QS8s to eye level based on the Dolby Atmos preferred room configuration for a 7.1.2 or 7.1.4 configuration . Additionally, I"ll move the seats 1-2 feet in front.

Would appreciate your insights you all on the ceiling speaker configuration. Over the years, I've come to respect the friendly camaraderie, and expertise in this forum, don't think I'll be disappointed!
Liked Replies
Re: One pair or two pairs of M3 ceiling speakers? #441605 Mar 11th a 08:09 PM
by rrlev
rrlev
Excellent!

Note that ATMOS does not mention this directly but if you look at enough of their layouts you’ll notice that recommend placement of the mid tops change if you have only 1 row (vs 3,5,...)

Have fun
1 member likes this
Re: One pair or two pairs of M3 ceiling speakers? #441653 Mar 14th a 03:26 PM
by aaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaa
Yes, you can do that. Just make sure your tweeter when mounted in the end is at no higher than 5'. 4ft better. If they end up in my room I will plan for an inverted install. (My roughin was originally for wall brackets at 5')

Based on measurements taken this morning, using M5HP as surrounds is best if you can mount them low enough that you are +/- 10 degrees on the tweeter axis to ear height. They measured exceptionally well at 10 degrees under the listener axis. (Mojo does a cartwheel. laugh ) Like other multiway speakers, they lobe under the tweeter axis a bit (but pretty acceptable actually.)

The horizontal plot was pretty consistent out to 20 degrees. Easily within a +/- 5db in room window.

+/- 20 vert degrees is more peaky in the response. Of course, I am being fussy. All in all they measured pretty dang well in a real room at 1m. Measurements confirmed they are designed to be listened to on axis horizontally and vertically.

The average of plots in each direction were exceptional. +/- 2.5db in room at 1m.

I will be putting M5OW in my room as surrounds at some point. I would not use them on a ceiling.

If anyone wants the files feel free to PM me with an email address and I will send you a zipped folder with all the plots. The M5HPs measured very well. Again, what a speaker. The averages will give you an idea of in room response above 200hz.

Average Horizontal- On axis to 30 degrees. Below 200hz ignore. Room loading near corner.

[Linked Image from imgpile.com]

Average Vertical- On axis to +/-30 degrees. Below 200hz ignore. Room loading near corner.

Honey Axis listener +10 degrees above tweeter. The Mojo Axis.

Danger territory. 20 degrees below tweeter. Below 200hz ignore. Room loading near corner.
1 member likes this
Re: One pair or two pairs of M3 ceiling speakers? #441701 Mar 16th a 02:58 PM
by Canesfan27
Canesfan27
Next up is the ADA1500 and another 600
1 member likes this

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup