Thread Like Summary
sophie999
Original Post (Thread Starter)
M5HP Question #439707 11/17/2020 10:18 PM
by sophie999
sophie999
Greetings,

I am building 2.1 system for music only. Considering M5HP or Aria 906.
One of my concerns is that I have about 20wpc amp for the speakers.
Axiom lists the sensitivity as 87/90 on the website. However, the Soundstage measured them about 83-84.
Any feedback form the current users? Do they like more power than that?
I do not listen to anything over 80-85dB, and my listening area is about 25 sqM, about 250 sqFt. However, I like classical music, which has lots of peaks at all frequencies, and may put strain on the amp.

Thanks
Liked Replies
Re: M5HP Question #439711 Nov 17th a 10:41 PM
by Mojo
Mojo
Sophie, the Soundstage measurement cannot be trusted under 150Hz. I also think the tweeters of the M5 as measured by Soundstage were not at room temperature. The impedance curve is suspect and that's likely the reason. The tweeters are cooled with ferrofluid and if they were sitting out in a car in the winter, the ferrofluid would become more viscous. This would affect the response.

I trust the Axiom measurements more because Ian calibrates the anechoic chamber to the readings he takes from the 100 foot tower outside the factory. He also makes sure the tweeters are at room temperature.

Note the Aria is not a 3-way like the M5. I expect the M5 will reveal more detail. I also expect the M5 is more dispersive so you will have a wider and deeper soundstage. I expect the Aria to have a "softer" sound which many like but it's almost like having a veil over the speakers.

I have the M5OW in my living room and I've also tried the M5 bookshelf in there. I sit 10 feet away from them in the living room. No joke my nominal listening level is about a half watt. They make great music.

You can read my thoughts at this link. I also have a review of the M5 on the product page. It's the long one.

https://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/u...the-new-and-in-with-the-newer#Post439683
1 member likes this
Re: M5HP Question #439710 Nov 17th a 10:40 PM
by aaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaa
Yes. More power required.

M2s with a sub would work better with a lower watt amplifier.

In that size room you could use M5s, skip the sub, and buy a more powerful amplifier or powered M5hps. My thought anyway.
1 member likes this
Re: M5HP Question #440075 Dec 13th a 03:24 PM
by Kodiak
Kodiak
I’ve experienced that too while window shopping online. It’s strange. I toggled thru cad dollars and US dollars too thinking it was that but the math didn’t work out.

I’m not sure why the website does that. There was a while when it was all the time and massive price jumps then it mellowed and then stopped totally.

I was using the “ wish list “ feature within my account too so I’m not sure if that played a role.

But rest assured the prices have not gone up. I’m looking at them now.

Gives the heart a jump as you’re getting ready to pull the trigger on something and then blam! The price jumps.
1 member likes this
Re: M5HP Question #440074 Dec 13th a 03:12 PM
by Mojo
Mojo
Sophie, I don't see the problem you're seeing. Axiom lets us know in advance about price increases.
1 member likes this
Re: M5HP Question #440079 Dec 13th a 04:15 PM
by Mojo
Mojo
Sophie, indeed Axiom has some issues with pricing. I've found, at times, the 21 day discount doesn't show up in my cart so watch out for that.
1 member likes this
Re: M5HP Question #440080 Dec 13th a 04:21 PM
by Kodiak
Kodiak
I just tried an m5hp in usd from my iPhone. $1080 USD.

I guess just watch the shopping cart as you load up.
1 member likes this

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441