Thread Like Summary
MMM
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Upgrading to 4k receiver. Need advice. #444017 11/22/2021 4:53 AM
by space_needle
space_needle
Ok gang, please take mercy on me. I've read through the forums and couldn't answer my questions so I'm posting here. Sorry if I missed a similar discussion.

I've been running an Axiom 7.1 system anchored by a pair of M80's since 2007. I just replaced my projector with an Epson 4(faux)k and now I've decided to upgrade my old Pioneer VSX-1020 receiver as well.

In doing the research, I think I was kinda doing it wrong. Driving the M80's with an 8ohm receiver. So a few questions:

1) Is there a sub $1k AVR that outputs 4 ohms and does 4k, HDR, atmos and all the fun stuff?

2) Would it make more sense to buy a cheaper AV receiver that has preouts and just send the front left/right channels to a dedicated 4 ohm amp for the M80's? (I have an old McIntosh MC2105 that isn't being used at the moment) This seems like it might be the more financially sensible route.

Any thoughts? Am I reading this right or completely missing the plot?

As you can probably tell, I really hate the idea of dropping $2-$3k on a new AV receiver because it feels they become technologically obsolete so quickly.
Liked Replies
Re: Upgrading to 4k receiver. Need advice. #444028 Nov 23rd a 06:17 AM
by chesseroo
chesseroo
Originally Posted by rrlev
Surround formats change ... there will alway be that pull to get the latest ... and usually that means upgrading your receiver/prepro. Chesseroo maybe able to sweat it out as the world around him moves on but I'd plan on a bit less time than a decade plus. Just MO.
That actually reads like a personal dig. Without some smiley face it's hard to tell.

Contrary to the opinions of those who get highly involved in audio as a hobby, many people who come to the forums are asking for everyday Joe advice. Not everyone feels like they need the latest surround sound format. Only hardcore HT folk consider constant upgrades every few years and with new formats like Atmos, you have to add not just a new AVR but also speakers.
This is not the actions nor thinking of the average joe.

You need to take a look at how many people do not even have a 5.1 system or consider how many people can't afford even a HTIB system which have been around for how many decades now? (over two if you are counting)
https://www.statista.com/statistics/736072/home-theater-system-surround-us-household-penetration/
If i'm so behind holding onto a DD 6.1 AVR for 15 years, what about the other 60% of American homes that don't have any surround sound at all?
Are they feeling the pull to get the latest because if so, why aren't the numbers higher and climbing fast?

Forum folk overestimate how many people are jumping on the new and cutting edge bandwagons because many you talk to in here tend to have it or are gunning for it, but we aren't the majority of people. As i said previously which i guess got glossed over, unless a person always wants cutting edge [and has the cash and time and inclination], you don't need to upgrade very often and certainly not as often as people provide advice for on forums like this.
I've had a 5.1 Dolby Digital surround system (6.1 capable) for 15+ years which is more than 99% of any neighbor we know. Our neighborhood can certainly afford such things if they wanted but our neighbors prefer spending their money on cottages, boats, cars, travel, wine, sports... Even i never bothered to get that pair of surround rears to run as the 6th channel.

Come on.
Reality is the majority of people will have an AVR for 10 years or more. Case in point, the OP has had their system for 14 years already and is just upgrading now and I didn't see any questions asking about the latest amazing format (Dolby Atmos).
So ask the basic question then, just how much cutting edge is the OP really needing based on information from the first post? (no mention of adding more speakers or Atmos installation)
Pre-outs.
4 ohm capable
4k capable
7.1 format
HDR (hit and miss with this anyway)
That's barely a 2017 specs AVR. I would be recommending an older used AVR, perhaps a 2018, save on cash and it will fill that list of specs easily.
1 member likes this

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441