Thread Like Summary
2x6spds, brwsaw, Cork
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Rec Spec Check #444288 12/20/2021 8:25 PM
by scgm
scgm
Hello!

I've used this setup for the past ~10 year with no issues for ~95% home theater use:

M80s v2 x2
VP150 v2 x1
QS8 v2 x2
EP500 v2 x1

With a receiver rated for:

"...
Continuous Power Output:
(20 Hz to 20 kHz, 8 Ohms, 0.08%)
Fronts: 110W + 110W
Center: 110W
Surround: 110W + 110W
Surround back (Front Height/wide): 110W + 110W

Continuous Power Output:
(1 Khz, 6 Ohms, 1.0%)
Fronts: 150W + 150W
Center: 150W
Surround: 150W + 150W
Surround back (Front Height/wide): 150W + 150W

Total Harmonic distortion: 0.06%
(20 Hz - 20 kHz, 100W + 100W, 8 Ohms)

120V 570W Power Supply
Canada Class B Digital Device
..."

1. Is this receiver properly driving my speakers to the best of their performance? or even near "average" performance?

2. If I buy a "better" receiver and listen at the same volumes I'm accustomed to, what will I notice in terms of improvements/differences in the audio experience, if any?

Thank you.
Liked Replies
Re: Rec Spec Check #444397 Jan 12th a 11:12 PM
by aaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaa
Agreed. Was not about what anyone wrote. smile Just a general mutter like an old man on a park bench. Lol. laugh
2 members like this
Re: Rec Spec Check #444390 Jan 11th a 07:47 PM
by rrlev
rrlev
BBIBH and MattMan, in some respects I agree with you. In other respects, it’s not that cut and dry. So first let’s get Mattman’s point out of the way. Lousy sound in gets you lousy sound out no matter how good the components are which follow … no argument. But in general, IMO, the source is not usually the weakest link till you are far down the upgrade path.

I think the argument being made from the other side is more about money: starting and upgrading on a limited budget. Most don’t have $5k, $10k or more to start off with a system that benefits from subtle upgrades. So upgrading a budget system the most likely path is cost driven. So what gets you the most bang for the buck when it comes time to upgrade.

First let’s define a typical budget system. Todays low end devices (I.e. receivers, cd/dvd players, etc…) are less expensive and produce better quality sound then ever before. This is because more and more functionality is being packed into inexpensive chips saving design time and manufacturing costs. Speaker components and speaker design on the other hand have not changed that much. Making it, IMO, the limiting factor in a budget system. I’d bet that a $300 receiver with $700 speakers would sound better at medium volume than a $700 receiver with $300 speakers. So, if I had to guess at the weakest link in the average budget system I’d generalize it’s the speakers.

From there figuring out the weakest link will depend on the problem you’re trying to solve. So, if the sound is being distort because you like listening at higher volume than your receiver is capable of, my first suspect would be your clipping the amp (but not necessarily the only suspect). If it’s a high noise floor you’d need to work your way backwards though the chain as it can be a lot of things (and not necessarily the device with the worst noise spec)

That said, If I had to guess at the next weakest link, after getting decent full range speaker (or adding a sub to a decent bookshelf speaker), it would be to get a decent amp to improve dynamics at volume. The reason is that an ampifier cost increases significantly with the power it can deliver. Budget is a key factor preventing most people from doing this and, IMO, it’s the first cost trade off most people make even though they might not know it (I.e. the power difference between that $300 receiver and $700 receiver, call it 75 vs 110watts, would not make a perceivable volume difference). Note the $700 receiver might be justified if it has pre-outs in anticipation of adding a future amp.

So, to sum it up in a different way … the user determines the problem to solve and the best solution may or may not be what you think it obviously is. It may not even be a component upgrade … and of course the solution is always limited by budget.
1 member likes this

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Kevin1), 372 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup