Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Amie Contest! - 09/28/07 05:55 PM
Are you a bit of a web artist? Are you in need of more Axioms? Then this contest is for you! Axiom is adding a user photo gallery to the website and we need your help with layout. You could win your choice of a pair of M3 Bookshelf Speakers or Algonquin Outdoor Speakers!

The user photo gallery will integrate a number of features: Gallery, Groups, Rating, Polls, Quizzes, and Events. It will link into our existing message boards but give you the flexibility to show off your systems!

In order to enter the contest, you need to come up with a layout that incorporates the following navigation links:

HOME
GALLERY
BROWSE
FORUM
RATE
POLLS
GROUPS
QUIZZES
EVENTS
SIGNUP
LOGIN

It also needs to have blocks for login, recent logins, and recent posts. For an example of our new software in action, mosey on over to http://www.starponyz.com/tackroom. Please don't copy their site and submit it as your own, though!

To enter, either amie@axiomaudio.com , or post your entry here. Contest closes October 21st at midnight. The winner receives their choice of regular or Algonquin M3 bookshelves!
Posted By: real80sman Re: Contest! - 09/28/07 07:09 PM
Well, that leaves me out of this one. What if I just do a hand drawing of an uber-cool layout and scan it in?

There would be an explosion button, a tire squeal button, a flatulence button, a disco ball button..... Wait, that's a different forum.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Contest! - 09/28/07 09:21 PM
Do you get extra points for web-ready layouts?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Contest! - 09/28/07 09:29 PM
You should get an A1400 for that one.
Posted By: Amie Re: Contest! - 09/28/07 09:51 PM
Certainly you would have a titch of an advantage with the judges who have to add the template to the web . . . but it wouldn't give you a 1400 Watt advantage . . .
Posted By: Amie Re: Contest! - 09/28/07 09:52 PM
Shawn, if you draw anything like your uncle I'd say you have a good chance at winning!!
Posted By: real80sman Re: Contest! - 09/28/07 10:14 PM
I'm very talented and skilled with my hands, but drawing isn't one of them.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Contest! - 09/29/07 12:14 AM
Will we be able to update (upload/delete) pictures on our own? Also, will we have a section that we can post our equipment easily?

thanks
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Contest! - 09/29/07 12:40 AM
I could do a layout, but adding in codes to make stuff do things is beyond me.

Perhaps I should give this a shot, The chances of winning would probabbly be less than 1 in 10
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Contest! - 09/29/07 01:15 AM
It would be also cool if we could incorporate somehow the audition information and a person could see an index by state/region.
Posted By: CV Re: Contest! - 09/29/07 02:55 AM
Good idea, Randy.
Posted By: Amie Re: Contest! - 09/29/07 02:27 PM
You'll definitely be able to add your own pictures and delete them, and much more!

Nobody needs to worry about adding the code - we'll take care of that!
Posted By: haylo75 Re: Contest! - 09/29/07 03:39 PM
From an implementation standpoint, I would think an actual HTML layout would be heads and shoulders above, say, a Photoshop mockup.

What is the name of the software you will be using?
Posted By: Amie Re: Contest! - 09/30/07 03:30 PM
We'll be using parts of PHPFox software.
Posted By: albertofgomez Re: Contest! - 09/30/07 07:31 PM
Amie a work of this kind you are asking, with all this features, fully fundtional (which means a dynamic website) Professionally done, will cost you far more of the pair of speakers. I may say that if you gave the Epic Grand Master 175 whole home theater setup, including an amp, and installation, you will still be short in the retribution. Consider also that this is an contest, which means IMO that the retribution should be over the cost of the regular work if you hire a professional to do it, just to estimulate beginners to jump in. Otherwise they will look to another places...this job you are asking, cost in Europe over $1500.00 euro in USD that is around $2100.00 USD easily...Gimme a break!!!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Contest! - 09/30/07 07:55 PM
You should have posted that comment in the "Piss & Moan" forum. Oh wait... there is no Piss & Moan forum. Classy first post.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Contest! - 09/30/07 07:56 PM
Amie is not asking for it to be fully functional. She simply asked for a layout. And if what is being offered isn't worth people's time, then they don't have to participate.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Contest! - 09/30/07 08:23 PM
Quote:

Amie a work of this kind you are asking, with all this features, fully fundtional (which means a dynamic website) Professionally done, will cost you far more of the pair of speakers. I may say that if you gave the Epic Grand Master 175 whole home theater setup, including an amp, and installation, you will still be short in the retribution. Consider also that this is an contest, which means IMO that the retribution should be over the cost of the regular work if you hire a professional to do it, just to estimulate beginners to jump in. Otherwise they will look to another places...this job you are asking, cost in Europe over $1500.00 euro in USD that is around $2100.00 USD easily...Gimme a break!!!

So i guess you wont be entering the contest then. Oh well. Sucks for you.

I would have to work for about 3 days to make the money needed to buy the speakers in question. I would take me about a day to create a layout. You do the math.
Posted By: Wid Re: Contest! - 09/30/07 09:48 PM

If I had the talant, which I don't, to enter the contest I would have. A pair of M3s would be a great match for a bedroom system.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Contest! - 10/01/07 12:32 AM
Albert,

Obviously you have not f'ing idea what your talking about. If you would have read the contest and the full thread carefully, which you obviously have not, they are just looking for a layout draft, not a full functioning website. Their web developers will take care of that.

Being a newbie with only 1 post, you need to give Amie a break and apologize, or just get lost Troll.

These idiots really pi$$ me off, sorry to everyone else.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Contest! - 10/01/07 12:45 AM
We need to cut Alberto some slack as english does not appear to be his native language. Alberto, quizá usted debe revisar el poste de Amie.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Contest! - 10/01/07 04:43 AM
You didn't mention how many times one can enter. If more than one entry is allowed, then here is my first. It's nothing ground-breaking, but it plays off the existing blues on the site, so it should integrate easily with existing pages.

Posted By: CV Re: Contest! - 10/01/07 04:46 AM
Looks great, Peter. I love the recent posts.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Contest! - 10/01/07 04:46 AM
lol @ recent posts.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Contest! - 10/01/07 05:07 AM
I like this too. It's very clean and simple.
Posted By: esteban Re: Contest! - 10/01/07 06:17 AM
I join this message board in order to apologize twice, first my friend Albert who makes non suitable commentaries about the contest above because of my fault and for Axiom team (specially Ami).

My friend Albert sent me this contest few days ago because he thought it was a good change to show my work on this field: website design.

We read the contest and I commented to him my doubt of functionality or not, because as web designers know, that for polls, ratings and else, you need more than a html code. So we read the contest's introduction and also few posts below, including the one that suggest that he would make a hand drawing for his project presentation and also another commentary that said: I could do a layout, but adding in codes to make stuff do things is beyond me.
So, we are not the only one who understand the point to be functional or not and also, as normally happen on forums, message boards, etc. format, you will never read all post because of the volume of information and also, because you are looking at the screen: a basic rule for a website design and communication.

Of course we read: “In order to enter the contest, you need to come up with a layout that incorporates the following navigation links...” but I think it would have been perfect to add what appear in Ami’s post 880: “Nobody needs to worry about adding the code - we'll take care of that!” at the contest presentation because the first sentence could produce ambiguity.

Albert is a good friend and also he is a great fighter that wants that the things be done well, that’s why he write soon while we talking about this.

According with me, I apologize for the non suitable effect that Albert´s message could produce in those who read about the contest, so I encourage them to participate. And for me a punishment: not to participate this time.
Posted By: albertofgomez Re: Contest! - 10/01/07 11:31 AM
Quote:

Albert,

Obviously you have not f'ing idea what your talking about. If you would have read the contest and the full thread carefully, which you obviously have not, they are just looking for a layout draft, not a full functioning website. Their web developers will take care of that.

Being a newbie with only 1 post, you need to give Amie a break and apologize, or just get lost Troll.

These idiots really pi$$ me off, sorry to everyone else.

The constest rules are not clear enough, at least not for me, is she was asking just for a layout (in wich case, and just for a layout, the prize, will be more understandable) then why asking for all those features, a layout does not need to include all the list of features she was asking, though the idea that maybe, she was asking for a functional page, my bad, also some of this features she was asking most of the times are hidden, so a layout will not show them, even if you want to...unless you want to break some web desing rules...

Anyway if my post cause you to puck these so idiotic commnets, insulting me, for a misunderstood, instead of correcting me, as others did, that shows me that I'm not the only idiot here...

My appologies to Ami if I misunderstood your first post...
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Contest! - 10/01/07 02:03 PM
Quote:

The constest rules are not clear enough, at least not for me, is she was asking just for a layout (in wich case, and just for a layout, the prize, will be more understandable) then why asking for all those features, a layout does not need to include all the list of features she was asking, though the idea that maybe, she was asking for a functional page, my bad, also some of this features she was asking most of the times are hidden, so a layout will not show them, even if you want to...unless you want to break some web desing rules...

Anyway if my post cause you to puck these so idiotic commnets, insulting me, for a misunderstood, instead of correcting me, as others did, that shows me that I'm not the only idiot here...

My appologies to Ami if I misunderstood your first post...

Albert, the comment in the first post "Are you a bit of a web artist?" should be more than enough to tell you that this is for web artists ONLY, not web coding and construction. This is for graphics only.
Posted By: Amie Re: Contest! - 10/01/07 02:16 PM
Great entry, Peter, thanks!

You may enter as often as you please - thank you for kicking things off!
Posted By: Amie Re: Contest! - 10/01/07 02:19 PM
Hi Esteban and Alberto;

Sorry if the contest post was a little ambiguous - we are looking for a mockup of a layout - just a screenshot at this point, similar to the one entered by pmbuko earlier. I listed the navigation elements needed because they form part of the layout.

Hope that's all clear now and please don't let a misunderstanding stop you from entering!

Kind regards,
Posted By: Mojo Re: Contest! - 10/01/07 02:44 PM
I think you guys should enter. You can add some European spice to the site.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Contest! - 10/01/07 04:34 PM
A gracious response Amie, another kudos to Axiom's superior customer service.
Posted By: Wid Re: Contest! - 10/01/07 09:52 PM
Quote:

Ditto
Posted By: 19rookie83 Re: Contest! - 10/05/07 01:43 PM
Hey All! I have been crawling around the forum for a little bit and really love the equipment! Having gotten to experience the setup in a really nice theater, but not owning any, it saddens me to have to go home to my headphones at the end of the night. \:\(

For clarification are you looking for a layout that will seamlessly link into your header and footer so that just the content needs a layout? Making it look like the new gallery section has been here forever.

Or are you going for a whole new look with maybe some references to your color scheme? Are you trying to face lift the site one piece at a time and go with a radically different design?

I am really interested in taking a shot at this I just wanted to make sure you get what you are looking for.
Posted By: Amie Re: Contest! - 10/05/07 06:11 PM
Hi 19rookie83;

The whole site will eventually be facelifted - it's an all-winter project - so we need something that will go with the current site now and we're up for a whole new look or a seamless integration - your choice. Looking forward to your entry!
Posted By: BrenR Re: Contest! - 10/05/07 09:23 PM
 Originally Posted By: Mojo
Paprika?

Bren R.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Contest! - 10/05/07 09:29 PM
Paprika actually has south american origins.
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Contest! - 10/05/07 09:54 PM
... more like saffron perhaps. It's what make paella a paella.
good stuff... gonna suggest my wife going to a Tapas restaurant tonite.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Contest! - 10/11/07 12:33 AM
So, anyone else enter this? I'm curious to see what other people's mockups look like.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Contest! - 10/11/07 03:21 AM
After seeing the other, err only... submission I figured there wasnt much hope in trying to do a mockup myself because it would probably end up looking practically identical to whats been submitted already.

Sure, I could dream up something in photoshop but putting it into dreamweaver or another program would probably be a real pain for axioms web designers.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Contest! - 10/11/07 02:42 PM
Brandon,
I'm assuming they'd ask the winner for the photoshop file. Each element in my mockup -- e.g. the header, content boxes, text, etc -- is in its own layer. The layer styles -- e.g. blue border strokes, the gradients, the glow on the left and right side -- are all tweakable. If you build the mockup right, it's fairly simple to split it up into chunks that are easy to position with css.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Contest! - 10/11/07 10:15 PM
I thought you had done yours with dreamweaver because of the jibbersh text, since thats what they use for some premade designs.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Contest! - 10/11/07 10:22 PM
The Lorem ipsum is generic text that is used widely in the publishing industry. Pretty much a standard--you get it in Adobe products, Macromedia (now Adobe...), Quark, etc.
Posted By: Amie Re: Contest! - 10/12/07 12:21 AM
So far only one entry, actually! Anyone else going to take a stab?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Contest! - 10/12/07 01:09 AM
I bet someone's sitting on an amazing design and waiting for the last minute to submit it.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Contest! - 10/12/07 01:13 AM
I'll bet it's the Europeans.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Contest! - 10/12/07 01:30 AM
I better come up with some alternate designs.... I know what I'll be doing after the kids' bedtimes next weekend. ;\)
Posted By: CV Re: Contest! - 10/12/07 03:03 AM
Incorporating your kids into the designs?
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Contest! - 10/15/07 06:00 AM
Ok heres my entry. Nothing really flashy, And i left out the recent logins thing because... well who really cares about that anyway.

Posted By: Haoleb Re: Contest! - 10/15/07 06:52 AM
I just wanted to add that the gallery things are just a main picture you would click on to enter the specific members complete gallery.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Contest! - 10/15/07 12:47 PM
Finally, some competition. \:\) Looks clean, Brandon. It was a good idea to feature another part of the site. I see you also stuck with the familiar blue scheme.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Contest! - 10/15/07 01:30 PM
Looks very nice.
Posted By: alan Re: Contest! - 10/15/07 02:52 PM
Very handsome design, Haoleb. Also amused by the Recent News sidebar. . .

Regards,

Alan
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Contest! - 10/22/07 01:51 AM
Well even though as it stands now, AFAIK I have a 50% chance of winning this, Considering axiom is generous enough to offer up contests all the time with great prizes, this being no exception I made another entry. I am sure that this contest has been a little bit underwhelming, So here's another one to add to the list \:\)

Coulnt get the whole page in one screen shot and i cant FTP it to my server because for some reason i cant login so i stiched together two screen shots. Hence the messed up gradient.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Contest! - 10/22/07 03:05 AM
I like your sidebar. I tried to come up with another entry, but I kept circling back to my original design. My muse has left me.

Good luck. I'm sure one of us will win. But, since you already have a prize coming, I hope it's me. \:\)
Posted By: Mojo Re: Contest! - 10/22/07 03:55 AM
Nice.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Contest! - 10/22/07 03:58 AM
Since my muse left me, I stuck with my original theme, but applied it to the forum page, to show how it might appear. Notice the change in gradient on the navbar on top to indicate the active section.

Posted By: 19rookie83 Re: Contest! - 10/22/07 04:00 AM
Alright two fired off at 12pm
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Contest! - 10/22/07 04:01 AM
am?
Posted By: 19rookie83 Re: Contest! - 10/22/07 04:04 AM
Correction 12am EST time. The emails went out right before my last post but knowing email they will probably end up with a funny time stamp on them so I will post them as well. Alright well I will post them all for everyone to see. I know this is just after midnight but they were all emailed in well before midnight.

Posted By: 19rookie83 Re: Contest! - 10/22/07 04:04 AM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
am?

right... Also all the designs I posted are at 3/4 scale so that they display properly on the forum.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Contest! - 10/22/07 04:26 AM
Nice entries, rookie. I love the blue speaker icons you put in the right sidebar on the second picture.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Contest! - 10/22/07 04:29 AM
I think this is what just happened to my dream of winning this contest...

Posted By: Mojo Re: Contest! - 10/22/07 01:53 PM
Brandon,

I like yours better because you included my theatre in it \:\) .

Rookie, amazing job!
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Contest! - 10/22/07 07:57 PM
I concur about the rook.
Posted By: Amie Re: Contest! - 10/22/07 08:37 PM
We also received some entries via email, so we'll be making a decision over the next couple of days and then we'll let you know. Thanks to everyone who entered!
Posted By: Mojo Re: Contest! - 10/22/07 09:03 PM
Those Europeans are very cunning \:\) . They came in through the back door where no one could see them.
Posted By: 19rookie83 Re: Contest! - 10/25/07 11:31 PM
Congrats CBK I just read in the newsletter that you won!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Contest! - 10/26/07 12:53 AM
just saw it, too. Congrats! Can we get a sneak peek?
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Contest! - 10/26/07 03:08 AM
Yeah, We want to see what it was that won! On another note I wish it would have been someone who is a regular contributor on the forums. \:\( Since we sortof have our little community here and thats mainly who would be using the gallery and all... Although that would have limited the choices down to about 3 or 4 designs. Im sure what was chosen will be outstanding though \:\)
Posted By: Mojo Re: Contest! - 10/26/07 03:20 AM
As long as CBK used mojo's dojo I'm sure I'll like it \:\) .
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Contest! - 10/26/07 03:25 AM
In a way I agree with you Brandon, I don't even see a single post going back 5 years, who the heck is CBK? Unless the search feature still does not work? Congrats by the way whoever you are...

I figured one of you guys that actually posted screenshots should have been the winner, but what do I know.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Contest! - 10/26/07 03:41 AM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
In a way I agree with you Brandon, I don't even see a single post going back 5 years, who the heck is CBK? Unless the search feature still does not work? Congrats by the way whoever you are...

I figured one of you guys that actually posted screenshots should have been the winner, but what do I know.

If you look him or her! up in the memberlist CBK registered 10/1/07 , never posted and filled out no info about his or herself.
Posted By: CV Re: Contest! - 10/26/07 03:46 AM
Some people just like having the rewards, not the fame. Not me.
Posted By: 19rookie83 Re: Contest! - 10/26/07 03:44 PM
He could have been like me. I have been trolling on this forum for a while but all of this equipment is so far out of my price range that I don't have much to contribute. So rather than be that lame guy that talks out of his a-- but really doesn't know what he is talking about with "seinheiser headphones" in my signature under my equipment list, I may just continue to troll \:\)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Contest! - 10/26/07 08:28 PM
You could just be our search engine. Hey, rookie, find me that post where I said biwiring is pointless. \:\)
Posted By: cbk Re: Contest! - 10/26/07 08:53 PM
CBK =<"Come Back Kid"> and clearly I did come from behind and won, booya! Thanks to the Axiom Team and the Forum Members for there support. I’m assuming my layout is the initial step but it’s up to “us members” to actively make suggestions to improve the community for us to all enjoy. Check out the exclusive screen shots and have a great weekend!

Original Email:

I thought I’d take a shot at the “Contest” for our social networking site. Please have a look at the three concepts and my comments and let me know what you think. Thanks for your time.

Community 1: The Layout, using all of the elements from the example site. I had envisioned a menu navigation that is a hybrid drop down system that expands and collapse once the user clicks on each section. I arranged the categories in the order I, as a user, would prioritize them. (If you’re using “Windows Image Viewer” to view each image, you can get the dropdown effect I envisioned by toggle from image 1 and 2 quickly.)

Community 2: Photo Gallery, here’s an example of how the sections would expand. Opening all of them at once or viewing only the content you want to see.

Community 3: The Forums, The navigation now in the far left and main focus is the content on the forums. Pretty straight forward but very important, hence located at the top of everything.

CBK | Epic Grand Master
===================
M22s
QS8s
VP150
EP500 v2

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Contest! - 10/26/07 09:00 PM
Very nice work, cbk. You deserve the prize. I like your Buy This button. Sneaky. \:\)
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Contest! - 10/26/07 09:40 PM
Quite good!
Posted By: Mojo Re: Contest! - 10/26/07 09:44 PM
YEAHHHHH!! Mojo's on there so I'm happy \:\) .

In all seriousness though, this is excellent work. Amie, maybe you should hire this person for your team.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Contest! - 10/27/07 12:27 AM
Very nice job, But where is my avatar? Oh ya, I don't have one but this makes me want to have one!
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Contest! - 10/27/07 03:05 AM
Well done, Its simple yet well laid out and easy to navigate \:\)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Contest! - 11/29/07 01:47 AM
Isn't the new version suppose to be out on Nov 1st?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Contest! - 11/29/07 02:19 AM
Umm..... did you mean Dec. 1st?

We have been using some of the new version since the beginning of this month, the new look of the forum.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Contest! - 11/29/07 02:26 PM
Not talking about the new forum, talking about the new member community, it was supposed to be released Nov 1.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Contest! - 12/09/07 03:32 AM
What are you talking about Randy we have all been enjoying it since 11/1 and were wondering why you were not there.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Contest! - 12/09/07 04:25 AM
I signed up when it was in Beta, but I was told on Nov 1st it would be merged with this forum. I see no link from the forum to access this information? Wasn't part of the point to help with the "Hearing Things Auditions" and to replace the wall of fame, so people could see our systems, etc.? When I go to the Community URL, there is not very much info that I can see.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Contest! - 12/09/07 04:51 AM
I want it NOW!!!

I'd rather they have an official merging when it's ready, and not before.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Contest! - 12/09/07 09:14 PM
I agree, just commenting that Nov 1 came and went as the original production date, no biggy.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Contest! - 12/10/07 03:56 PM
Heh,

Axiom is not known for hitting their projected release dates (at least to my knowledge). This is a good thing in that they won't release something unless it really is ready to be released!
Posted By: Murph Re: Contest! - 12/10/07 05:18 PM
You mean like Microsoft?

O God, sorry. I couldn't resist.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Contest! - 12/10/07 05:37 PM
I was thinking more like Valve.
Posted By: skyhawk669 Re: Contest! - 12/10/07 05:45 PM
Valve, heh, don't get me started...
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Contest! - 12/10/07 09:46 PM
or 3D realms with Duke Nukem Forever? 11 years in the making I think...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Contest! - 12/10/07 09:47 PM
3D Realms doesn't even count.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Contest! - 12/10/07 11:00 PM
More like Duke Nukem For-never, amiright?

Could be worse... could be a real flop like Interstate '82 was to Interstate '76...

* I76 had 70s funk, I82 had Devo
* I76 had "never get out of the car", I82 had "get out of the car, but if you do, the walking motion makes it look like you're riding a small pony - making you wish for the Wolf3D "rolling wheelchair" movement instead
* I76 had salvage management... stripping cars for parts... I82 just kind of handed you new toys as you went
* Did I mention the Devo thing? Seriously... who pulls Devo out of retirement to do a video game soundtrack?

That still ranks as the biggest videogame sequel disappointment for me.

Bren R.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Contest! - 12/17/07 12:07 AM
>>Seriously... who pulls Devo out of retirement to do a video game soundtrack?

I would ;\)
© Axiom Message Boards