Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ian 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/30/10 01:15 PM

Hi Everyone;

As some of you may know Axiom is celebrating our 30th anniversary this year (somehow it just does not feel that long). As part of this celebration there has been some talk of having a get-together in September in Dwight. We have landed on Saturday, September 11th as the official day for the get-together at the factory in Dwight. We are thinking that during the day we can do some factory tours, have some blind listen test sessions, and some audio workshops with Alan, Andrew, and myself. The evening will be reserved for party time. Since we are in a resort area there are lots of lodges in the neighbourhood and we will work out some special deals for everyone and post an update with the details soon.

We would love to have as many of you as possible join us for the celebration. Getting to know so many of you over the last 10 years on the forums has made you feel like an integral part of the Axiom family and we would be honored to have you attend.
Posted By: medic8r Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/30/10 01:42 PM
Woo hoo!

I have been lucky enough to have been in on the group PM that got the ball rolling. Kudos to MarkSJohnson for helping spur this along, and to pmbuko for coordinating our hopes to Axiom HQ. And, of course, many thanks to Ian and the gang at Axiom for their enthusiasm and plans for the homecoming.

Peter (pmbuko) and I have booked flights into Buffalo for 9/9 thru 9/12. We plan to rent a car together and head up to Dwight by way of Toronto. I think that Mark plans to drive over from NH.

I am really stoked about this. I really enjoyed the other business homecoming that I went to, the BMW Z3 owners' one at the plant in SC. It was a blast meeting people and touring the factory. This one should be even sweeter because of the friendships I have made with all of you on the boards.

Who else is in? Let's do this thang!!!
Posted By: onn Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/30/10 02:10 PM
I'll be a definite maybe. I'll have to sort through all the details to see if it will work for me, work wise.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/30/10 02:12 PM
Sounds good to me, would be really good to meet everyone, perhaps we can even get some recluses up from Florida and Ohio \:\)
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/30/10 03:55 PM
Afterthought....

Ian, will Axiom be unveiling any changes to their speakers to celebrate 30 years of success?

Perhaps a modded VP150 with a 6.5" driver or two? Call it the VP160. I'd love the VP180 but it's just too big. Also completely aluminized cones and magnetic grills across all models.

and yes, thirty years does go by really fast.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/30/10 07:16 PM
Wayne, I hope you do attend.

I am very much looking forward to seeing old and new friends at this gathering.

I'm just a little slower making arrangements than JP and Peter. \:\)
Posted By: CV Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/30/10 07:31 PM
I'll have to see if I can make this happen. It would be great to finally see if the anechoic chamber is creepy enough to hold my wedding ceremony in.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/30/10 07:59 PM
Make it work, Charles!
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/30/10 08:40 PM
Charles, the anechoic chamber is certainly worth the effort, very strange to say the least.
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/30/10 10:18 PM
Dang, that falls on one of my afternoon shift weeks. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyway.

I won't be able to make it up until late afternoon, but it will still be a lot of fun to meet the various people I have gotten to know on this board.
Posted By: Adrian Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/30/10 10:43 PM
Sounds like it will be a great get together!

Ian, congratulations to you and the Axiom family on your 30th anniversary, and to the next 30!!
Posted By: Ian Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 12:24 AM

Adrian,

Thank you for the warm wishes. I am quite looking forward to the next 30 years. The past 30 years has certainly been both fun and exciting. Fredk was commenting in a different thread that it must have been an exciting time during the 80s when I was a part of all the ground breaking research going on at the NRC; and it really was. Prior to that research it was generally accepted that sound was perceived differently by each person and they had to search out the speaker that suited their individual taste (some of you may remember the days of the east coast sound, the west coast sound, etc). However, it became apparent early on that this was not the case and that when the visual cues were removed the personal differences also went away. This opened the door to the development of a set of measurements that could be consistently relied on to produce proper sound while at the same time allowed us to identify and discard the ones that did not impact performance. The shear size of this plate of measurements means that after 30 years of pursuing the goal we are still working to this end today; and there is no doubt lots left to do.

Thanks,
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 12:47 AM
Sounds like a blast. I'll do my best to make it. I'll also talk to Teri about going with me \:\) . She's no longer my caregiver but we're still really good friends, so keep your fingers crossed .
Posted By: FireGuy Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 01:14 AM
About 5.5 hr road trip from Buffalo, sweet. If I get it scheduled I'll spend at least two to three days there. Can of pair of M80's help catch fish too?
Posted By: Adrian Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 01:41 AM
 Originally Posted By: R DeVries
Can of pair of M80's help catch fish too?

Maybe if you play the song "Fishin' Blues" on them? \:D
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 01:49 AM
Might also come in handy for giving a muskie good crack on the head to imobilize it.

I still remember fishing on lake Simcoe as a kid and the guy in the next boat hauled in a small muskie. I could see this fish flopping around in the boat and this guy whacking it with a beer bottle. It took quite a few whacks.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 01:55 AM
Is a passport required for entry from USA to Canada?
Posted By: Adrian Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 01:57 AM
Muskie are pretty rare in Simcoe, Fred. Where about's were you fishing...on the East side towards Beaverton/Lagoon City?

Brian, I'm pretty sure you need a passport these days, although they may accept a license with photo ID, but you'd definately need to verify that beforehand.
Posted By: FireGuy Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 01:58 AM
Yes, a passport is required. If your state (like New York) has an "enhanced" driver's license that will also work.

This should be helpful:

http://studenttravel.about.com/od/uspassports/a/passports_2.htm
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 02:02 AM
A couple of interesting links:

Board of tourism

Nice Video
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 02:17 AM
I haven't booked a room yet, but am attending.... possibly Thursday, but definitely Friday through Sunday.

If any golfers out there are going and interested in arranging something, it looks like there's some very nice courses there. I'm a bit of a hack, usually hitting 90-95 and carrying no handicap, but I don't slow down play, read putts from four angles or throw clubs. \:\)

If you're like me and interested, send me a PM.

Wow, that last line sounded like something from Craig's List.
Posted By: mpyw Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 09:44 AM
shoot....I am 9000km away....congrats anyway on the 30 years although I only get to know Axiom for 2 years....
Posted By: Murph Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 11:54 AM
Wow. Congratulations Axiom on all of your successes and triumphs over the 30 years!!

While I would Absolutely love to attend, I'm highly doubtful that I will. My wife and I both decided that instead of one big vacation this year, we will try and book more smaller weekend trips to do stuff we both enjoy together. We do normally take longer vacations together but our weekend activities tend to be more spread out over our individual hobbies, especially on my side to be honest as my hobbies are a bit more, shall we say "varied," than hers.

We both enjoy camping, hiking and such, so I'll work on that angle as I know there is lots of outdoors to explore in that area but most likely I will be waiting for the pictures, stories, and tales of good times that I have no doubt will ensue.

Congrats and Enjoy!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 02:59 PM
That just sucks, Murph. Check out my link above to the board of tourism and see if it provides any supporting data for your argument that this would be the best camping trip possible!!
Posted By: SRoode Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 04:48 PM
Well, I mentioned this to my wife, and she was SOOOO excited (maybe more than me!). I am going to make every attempt to be there (75% certain now). She said she'd watch the little ones so I could get out there and really enjoy the experience. I live about 660 miles from Dwight, so I'll drive it. This is very exciting, and I am looking forward to meeting everyone. Thank you Ian, this is very gracious of you, and I cannot wait to see the factory and finally get to meet all my Axiom friends. I don't think I could ask for a better vacation!

Please let me know about places to stay, and if anyone else wants to hack it out on the course (Mark, 90 is not a hack... My 110 is a hack!) I'll bring my clubs and give it a try too!

-Steve
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 05:14 PM
Hotels.com shows several in the area.

My thoughts are that the official Axiom Day is one day only, yet I'll be there for 4 or 5 days. That being the case, I'd rather stay in nearby Huntsville, where there are restaurants and pubs for get-togethers all the other times. I'm likely to stay at the Holiday Inn Express because I'm looking for clean and simple, with internet and breakfast included. I'm not a "four star" guy, but neither am I a "cabin in the woods" guy. (Been there, done that, had snakes in the ceiling!)

Links aren't working, copy and paste:
http://www.hotels.com/search.do?pointNam...s=true&children[0]=0&searchParams.rooms[0].numberOfAdults=1&asaReport=HomePage%3A%3ANoSuggest&page=1&dayInMonthCheckIn=9&fromDisambiguation=false&destinationForLandmark&monthCheckIn=9&activeTab=DESTINATION&dayInMonthCheckOut=12&lat=0.0&rooms=1
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 05:18 PM
And, BTW, that looks like a probably three to five golfers already. Why don't I commit to golf being early Friday afternoon, so those flying can check their schedules?

I'm checking into local course now, but when we get some more names together, I'll start a separate thread for the golf-wannabes with some good course options, etc..
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 05:51 PM
Send somebody to PEI to "persuade" Murph. ;\) Really wish you could be there, Andrew.

Ian, it's been said in lots of ways before, but I want to underscore my gratitude for not only your gracious invitation to share in this celebration, but also for your work. Your creations measurably enhance my quality of life on a daily basis, and it is clear that your expertise and passion continue to drive Axiom in new directions. So, thanks for continuing to show up at work each day.
Posted By: onn Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 06:00 PM
Got my motel booked in Dwight (Dwight Village Motel) from Friday to Monday. Don't know if I will be staying for Monday though. Now I just need to get the flights and car rental arranged and I'll be set.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 06:36 PM
Oh, that's why they're not working; the links have brackets in them. Confuses the heck out of ubbcode, is my guess.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 06:56 PM
I had assumed it was because I was drunk in the morning....as usual.

Thanks for noting the brackets!
Posted By: jakewash Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 08:20 PM
Congratulations to Axiom for 30yrs in this crazy business.

I would love to attend but the distance for a weekend is just too great and the costs associated are just too much for me to cover right now, as I have new house syndrome ;\)
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 10:56 PM
 Quote:
...but I don't slow down play, read putts from four angles or throw clubs.

Well, thats it then. I'm never golfing with you!

My record for the 1/2 club toss is a cool 35 feet. You should have seen how fast those course marshalls got there. ;\)
Posted By: Ajax Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 11:03 PM
Can't guarantee anything at this point, but I'm definitely going to try to make it. Just too many people I've always wanted to meet. \:\)
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 11:14 PM
 Originally Posted By: Ajax
Just too many people I've always wanted to meet. \:\)

I hear you, Jack!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 11:21 PM
I'm tired of people telling me that I don't know Jack.

I'm gonna fix that in September.
Posted By: jakewash Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 11:22 PM
Ya, but your room will still be square ;\)
Posted By: medic8r Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 05/31/10 11:52 PM
Peter and I are bribing the hotel clerk to make sure that Mark gets booked into a square room.
Posted By: RickF Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/01/10 12:14 AM
Congrats on the 30 year anniversary Ian, that's quite an accomplishment!

Just curious of the folks who are planning on going, how many will have their wives?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/01/10 12:16 AM
Only if she's going with me and lets me.

I'm sorry. I'm tired and punchy!
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/01/10 01:46 AM
I'll have to show you boys how us Gimpy Canadians drink! \:\)

Ohhhh, I foresee the first Axiom beer pong tournament!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/01/10 01:48 AM
Cam, I'd be scared to drink with you. I've seen pictures, and I'm a lightweight! \:\)
Posted By: spiffnme Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/01/10 04:54 AM
Thanks Mark for the heads up on this! Unfortunately I don't think I can swing it! \:\( That falls on my birthday, and we've already got plans for the 12th.

I sooooo wish I could be there though!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/01/10 10:38 AM
Last night, I booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express in Huntsville for Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. I got a better rate by calling the "main" number of Holiday Inn Express (1 800 315 2621) rather than the local hotel. Basically, the rate for this cancelable, refundable reservation is the same as if I did the pre-paid, non-cancelable rate ($133 CAD for Thursday and $156 CAD for Friday and Saturday) booked through the hotel itself.

It's a few dollars more than the Best Western, Comfort Inn, Econolodge or Motel 6 in the area, but the reviews are excellent and it has a breakfast buffet that I'll like (some hotels have it, some don't).

I was thinking that as we get closer, it might be handy to have a list of other Axiomites staying at various hotels. I know I can enjoy meeting up with people over the breakfast as well as the other stuff. I can make a list if people are interested in sharing the info.

I don't know that it could result in anything with the number of attendees that are going as of this point, but I talked to the desk at the HIE a few nights ago, and if we can book 20 rooms, we'll get a discount of probably $10 per night per room. I got the name of the person to contact there if others are interested in the HIE as well.

Hopefully any or all of this will be helpful to someone in their planning.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/01/10 10:39 AM
Craig, can't you move your birthday? \:\)

If something charges, it would be very cool to have you there!
Posted By: sonicfox Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/01/10 04:33 PM
Thanks for informing me, Mark! This really would be a fun get-together. If Cananda weren't so far away or cost me a ton of money, I think I'd go. In fact, I AM considering it anyway if my plans in August don't work out. I see a lot of people I recognize who are going and it would be great to meet you all! If I DO go, I'm MAKING Jack go too!
Posted By: Kruncher Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/01/10 05:03 PM
As much as I would be absolutely thrilled to attend this outstanding event, it's not likely to happen.

But rather than not contribute in any manner at all, I've taken a moment to build an online map that might help those who want to or will definitely attend.

I've added a blue marker for Axiom, and red markers for the hotels that Mark kindly pointed out above. You can add new hotel markers in necessary, and maybe markers in other colors for other planned events, such as golfing (green?).

Further, I've set the map so that information for the markers can be edited. This will allow you to add your name to details of the hotel that you plan to stay at, if you wish. Just be careful not to delete anything, OK? Play nice and all will go well.

Have a great time everyone!
Posted By: Adrian Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/01/10 05:43 PM
Just a heads up for people driving to Axiom... the 401/400 interchange area is the busiest highway in North America, you'll want to avoid it during the rush hour(s) which generally go from 7:00AM to 6:30PM during the week. There is some traffic relief between 10:00AM and 3:00PM during the week however. Weekends are lighter, but Friday evenings can be busy as cottagers head north on the 400 esp near Barrie(Sept 'should' be a little lighter) as can southbound traffic on Sunday night.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/01/10 05:55 PM
Hey, that's some good, solid travel advice, right there. Thanks!

I've been trying to figure it out, but could use some local expertise about public transportation from the Toronto airport into Toronto proper. It looks like a bus to either the GO or to the TTC subway - i.e. neither the train nor the subway actually connect right at the airport. Is that right?
Posted By: Adrian Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/01/10 06:13 PM
Hmmm, I'm sorry Tom. I'm a little lost where public transportation is concerned. There might be a shuttle connecting Pearson to downtown...

Maybe you can find some help right here.
Posted By: Murph Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/01/10 06:49 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Tom & Mark. There are indeed many people such as yourselves that I know I will regret missing the opportunity to meet, probably for the rest of my life. Unfortunately, we had to, no we chose to, direct a good bit of funds to a particular family event of much importance this year. Our mad money will be a bit thin which adds to having to be more considerate of each others vacation events. That being said, I know Sharon interest will be raised from Mark's link. There is still hope, but I'm doubtful.

The truly sad part is that I will be flying to Ottawa just two weeks after that for United Way Canada meetings. That would have gotten me most of the way there.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/01/10 08:21 PM
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but what is the closest International airport? I'm assuming, Pearson Toronto? How long of a drive from there?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/01/10 08:24 PM
You'll want to fly into YYZ (Toronto). The drive from there to Axiom is roughly 3 hours. (And yes, that's converted from Canadian time.)

Here's a google map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s...861&ie=UTF8&z=9
Posted By: Avi Deshpande Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/01/10 09:51 PM
Congrats Axiom !!

I wish i could fly from CA and meet all U good souls.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/01/10 10:04 PM
Mary, you should attend. There are not many forum users who have been registered longer than you.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/01/10 10:10 PM
Also, there are not many forum users who have been women longer than you. \:D
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/01/10 10:43 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
You'll want to fly into YYZ (Toronto). The drive from there to Axiom is roughly 3 hours. (And yes, that's converted from Canadian time.)

I guess you don't speak Canadian eh?

Mary, translated its about 3 Timmie's and a beer store. 4 Timmies in heavy traffic. ;\)
Posted By: FireGuy Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 12:25 AM
It's official, my brother is coming up from Pennsylvania for this year's road trip. Heck he was on board the second I mentioned the event. Not a bad trip from Buffalo. Great audio, fishing, golf and yeah...beer. Now why are we going?
Posted By: medic8r Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 12:57 AM
Here's what it looks like so far:

Attending:
MarkSJohnson
medic8r
pmbuko
onn
R Devries

Probably Attending:
Ajax
tomtuttle
SRoode
wheelz999

Possibly Attending:
CV
FordPrefect
sonicfox
fredk

I say we use this list as an enticement to get as many people to come. It is going to be so nice to get away and have some fun with old friends and new.

If I got anyone's status wrong, or if anyone wants to add his name to the list, then please quote the list, or cut and paste, editing as needed. Like the
map from Kruncher, this can be a useful tool going forward.
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 12:58 AM
Heck he was on board the second I mentioned the event. Not a bad trip from Buffalo. Great audio, fishing, golf and yeah...beer. Now why are we going?

What is wrong with you people? AND Timmies...

Sheesh!
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 01:00 AM
You can put me on the definately attending list. I'll just be a little late to the party. Unless... I left after work on Friday. Then I could start early. Hmmm...
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 01:02 AM
Adrian said he's attending as well. Time to update that list already, JP!
Posted By: medic8r Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 01:21 AM

Attending:

MarkSJohnson
medic8r
pmbuko
onn
R Devries
Adrian
fredk

Probably Attending:

Ajax
tomtuttle
SRoode
wheelz999

Possibly Attending:

CV
FordPrefect
sonicfox
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 01:24 AM
There hasn't been a peep from Alan as to whether or not he'll be around Dwight at that time.
Posted By: Adrian Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 01:33 AM
I'm quite sure Alan will be there(according to Ian's OP). Alan spends much of his summer at the cottage on Georgian Bay as I understand it.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 03:35 AM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
I'm quite sure Alan will be there(according to Ian's OP). Alan spends much of his summer at the cottage on Georgian Bay as I understand it.

Yes, and this has become doubly true since Alan discovered a water route to Georgian Bay from New York.
Posted By: onn Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 12:38 PM
 Originally Posted By: Kruncher
I've added a blue marker for Axiom, and red markers for the hotels that Mark kindly pointed out above. You can add new hotel markers in necessary, and maybe markers in other colors for other planned events, such as golfing (green?).

Further, I've set the map so that information for the markers can be edited. This will allow you to add your name to details of the hotel that you plan to stay at, if you wish. Just be careful not to delete anything, OK? Play nice and all will go well.

Hey Kruncher I screwed up.
I put my motel in the wrong spot and can't delete it since I'm not a mod. You will see 2 red markers on either side of the Axiom blue marker. The red marker that is wrong is the one to the right (east). If you could delete that one I would be very grateful.
Thanks
Mel
Posted By: alan Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 01:06 PM
Yep, I'll be there, and it should be great. The yard manager at the marina where I keep my sloop just got the hi-speed wireless up and running last night so I've been catching up on email and the forums.

The marina in Parry Sound is only about an hour's drive from Dwight and Axiom.

Cheers,
Alan
Posted By: Kruncher Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 02:18 PM
No problem, Mel. All fixed up now.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 02:37 PM
Just wondering. Has anyone thought of or mentioned camping? Maybe I could pitch my 20X8X8 ft. tent at the plant . I much prefer it to a hotel.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 03:01 PM
You have a chair-accessible tent? \:\)
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 04:50 PM
Yeppers. That wooden ramp has hinges on both sides so the ramp can fold up when the door is closed, and down when I need to use it. I also sleep on a queen size bed at the far end of the tent.

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 04:56 PM
Dude!

Are you able to get the surrounds in Dolby-recommended positions?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 05:11 PM
HEHEHE LOL. You know, I could move my bed to the front half of the tent as there is enough room. Then the other half could house a little camping movie room
Posted By: grunt Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 05:45 PM
Somehow I had missed this thread but Mark PM’d me and brought it to my attention. I still need to do some checking to see if I can get away. I’m one of the most qualified alert crew chiefs so the date of the event usually has me waiting for a pager to go off or even sitting “hot alert” (engines running). However, I will do my best to attend and let people know as soon a I know something.
Posted By: Murph Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 06:44 PM
I'm adding "partying with Cam" high on my list of reasons why I should attend. Although somehow I still don't see this convincing my wife that this is a good idea for us. Although, I know she would have as much fun as me, once she met everyone. Errrr and I met everyone. Sometimes I forget I never met you guys.
Posted By: Adrian Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 06:47 PM
You "think" you've never met some of us...Muu-aah-haa-haa!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 06:49 PM
Remember the Jeep Insurance Adjuster?

ME!

HA!
Posted By: Adrian Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 07:13 PM
And guess who changed the oil on your Mini, last month?

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 07:17 PM
::fist bumps Adrian::
Posted By: pmbuko Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 07:18 PM
Remember that guy who drew the picture you're using for your avatar?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 07:21 PM
...and that nice man who sold you the Mini?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 07:23 PM
...and that scary dude who tried to carjack you?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 07:27 PM
And that guy that told you that you were kinda cute, and if maybe you were interested....no really, it's not the beer talking..... in a relationship.....?

Yeah.

That one wasn't me. I just wasn't sure you remembered it.

I was the one that introduced him to you.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 07:28 PM
Bazinga.
Posted By: Adrian Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 07:32 PM
And the guy in the white van with lots of speakers in it who looked uncannily like Alan....
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 07:34 PM
Man, am I looking forward to meeting you guys in person.

And harassing Murph in person.
Posted By: Adrian Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 07:41 PM
It would be kind of funny if some people introduced themselves as other forum members....
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 07:43 PM
ooooh! oooooh! I wanna be JohnK!
Posted By: jakewash Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 07:55 PM
No one would believe you Mark \:\)
Posted By: Murph Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 07:58 PM
In regards to all the mysterious meetings...

AAAAAGHH STOP IT!!!!
The Nightmares, the Nightmares!
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 08:22 PM
 Originally Posted By: Murph
I'm adding "partying with Cam" high on my list of reasons why I should attend.

Murph, I feel the same way towards you. So, there's only one remedy - GOGOGOGOGO \:\)
Posted By: sonicfox Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 08:24 PM
Will JohnK be there? \:\)
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 08:25 PM
He's been silent and mysterious!
Posted By: Kruncher Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 08:34 PM
You want nightmares? There's a good chance that you might come face to face with... Bbigwyres!

REFLECT!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 08:41 PM
Audiopiles everywhere!

I bought my plane tickets today, and am eagerly anticipating seeing new, old and ancient friends there.

Unlike him, references to Jack's age never seem to get old.

Mark's going to buy me a beer! Yay!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 08:42 PM
It won't be a good one or anything.

What kind of 40s are sold at the Dwight Packie?
Posted By: BobKay Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 08:50 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson

Mark: I don't think "packie" means much once you get far enough away from "here" ('wingland) to have those accents begin to fade.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 08:59 PM
Really? I think it'sa wickid ahsome word!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 09:00 PM
And Bob... you've been quiet on this topic...

Gracing us with your presence in September?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 09:01 PM
And, by the way... it's not like I said "Cumbie's"....
Posted By: BobKay Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 09:03 PM
I think that's "wickit." And I, too, agree that "packie" is pissah. We 'winglanders weren't allowed to leave there with alcohol visible. It had to be wrapped or bagged into a package.

Can you imagine Texans having to hide their booze on the way home??? How would they get at it before they got there?
Posted By: BobKay Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 09:04 PM
And, by the way... it's not like I said "Cumbie's"....

When I lived in CT, the corner store chain was Wawa!
Posted By: BobKay Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 09:08 PM
And Bob... you've been quiet on this topic...

Gracing us with your presence in September?

I would l-o-v-e to be there in the role of Hans Blixx, just to make sure everything is on the up and up.

Seriously, really wanna. Maybe an excuse to visit old colleagues in Chicago on the way (tax ded.)
Posted By: Adrian Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 09:13 PM
What is this strange language of which you speaketh?
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 09:37 PM
It won't be a good one or anything.

For the longest time, we stopped the crappy beer at the border, but yes, you can buy Bud Light in Canada now.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 09:39 PM
Fred, I ain't lookin' for none of that fancy stuff.

Wht's cheaper than Bud Light? By a lot?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 09:40 PM
I only drink draft beer, Mark.

It's a religious thing.
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 09:47 PM
Fred, I ain't lookin' for none of that fancy stuff.

Wht's cheaper than Bud Light? By a lot?

Water is free here Mark. And we don't even colour it yellow or anything.

::ques up Labats Blue commrecial::
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 09:54 PM
Zealot.

Ummm, where and when does your church meet?
Posted By: Ian Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 10:08 PM

Everyone,

I was chatting with a friend of mine who owns a resort http://www.luminaresort.com very close to the factory. He is going to work out a very special rate for us in the next day or two; I will keep you posted. I am thinking it would be best to have breakfast included each day but not lunch or dinner.

I saw the chatter about a possible golf game on the Friday. This is a great area for golf with lots of wonderful courses; in fact this is a great area for many recreational things incase some of you wanted to spend some extra days enjoying Muskoka.

I think it would be best if Amie looked after everyone’s needs and questions (just to add confusion both my wife and my secretary are named Amie; so this will be Secretary Amie). Amie will post here tomorrow so you can send her PMs of all your needs and she can look after everything for you from booking the lodge, to booking the golf, to answering any questions you may have. Amie is a Dwight native so she knows the area inside out.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 10:10 PM
Awesome, Ian!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 10:22 PM
Wow! Wonderful! Thank you, Ian!
Posted By: bridgman Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 10:29 PM
Apparently there's a list so I guess I should add my name to the "probably" pile. I can't think of what might keep me away but I don't normally plan that far ahead outside of work so playing it safe.

According to Google Maps I live almost a three hour drive south of Axiom. I thought it was much less than that... oh well. Maybe I'll see if I can pick up my VP180 at the factory and see how long the drive takes ;\)

Edit - just saw Ian's post. Ian, that sounds like a fantastic idea. It would be even more fun if most of the people were staying at the same place.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 10:32 PM
Excellent, John! I really hope that you attend!
Posted By: Ray3 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 10:38 PM
Well, I can't let Jack come up there alone. "Grumpy Old Man" doesn't work NEARLY as well as "Grumpy Old Men".

Besides, I never get tired of Jack telling the story about the day dirt was invented. Rare to hear first hand experience like that.

Put me down as a probable, although I am sure I am coming unless a major gremlin interferes.

It will be great to finally meet the folks that I've been talking to for years. Oh yeah - and the beer!!!!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 10:39 PM
You've been talking to beer for years?

You're supposed to drink it. Although if you've had it for years, I'd probably get a new bottle.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 10:40 PM
JP is getting way behind on this list. Lots of great additions.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 10:42 PM
If you don't talk to your beer, you are clearly NOT drinking enough!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 10:43 PM
And some not-so-gr... oh wait, I'm not supposed to say that out loud, am I?
Posted By: bridgman Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/02/10 10:45 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
And some not-so-gr... oh wait, I'm not supposed to say that out loud, am I?

Nope, that's where you use the inside voice.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 12:10 AM
I'm checking my schedule and negotiating in my head.

Eight years on the forums, and six since the last trip to the factory, one since my last trip to the general area.
I seem to be due for another associative trip in a reducing exponential frequency.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 12:45 AM
 Originally Posted By: chesseroo

I seem to be due for another associative trip in a reducing exponential frequency.

chess,

I'm still not sure what that was, but when I had it, some strong penicillin therapy cleared it up for me and they told I would be immune going forward.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 12:47 AM
Hmmm - is there a mod available that could do some magic and move the list that is evolving to the first page (maybe first post)?
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 01:03 AM
So are most people arriving on the Thursday and leaving Sunday? I may try to swap weeks with my co-worker so I can take a couple of days off. This seems like a one time opportunity to meet a lot of you guys.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 01:11 AM
I'm Thursday-->Sunday.

Does that scare you off? \:\)
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 01:12 AM
Not in the least square room compadre. ;\)
Posted By: chesseroo Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 01:47 AM
I was just commenting to Peter that i have this vision of the 3 days, no one knowing anyone from a hole in the head other than their online persona.

The whole Axiom weekend would be guys wearing 30th anniversary shirts with nothing but their forum IDs on the front happy face buttons and taglines printed on the back yelling to each other from cottage to cottage at the lodge as onlookers think spring break came to Dwight.

"Hey pmbuko, Wheels and medic8r are heading out for a good time. You wanna join us and Potatohead for drinks?"
Posted By: Andrew Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 02:19 AM
As a newcomer to the Axiom family, I have to say that I'm really looking forward to meeting any of the forum faithful that are able to attend. One of the many things that makes Axiom so special to work for is the close ties we have with our customers and fans! This is NOT something that can be said for many companies in the consumer electronics biz. In addition to having a pile of fun, I'm also hoping to cover some technical ground for those that are interested in learning a few things between drinks! Obviously a full factory tour, including the labs, is a must. For those planning on attending, I'd like to start a discussion on what topics you are most interested in. From there Ian, Alan, and myself can start working on some fun and interesting tutorial sessions.
We're all looking forward to September!

Andrew
Posted By: CV Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 07:19 AM
If I end up not going, I can tell I'm really going to regret it.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 09:28 AM
You will, Charles. For the rest of your life.

You don't want that.

Just say "Go". \:\)

(See my PM)
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 01:40 PM
Don't forget the women of Ontario are waiting for you Charles.
Posted By: medic8r Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 01:46 PM
with brickbats and pepper spray.
Posted By: medic8r Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 01:49 PM

Attending:

MarkSJohnson
medic8r
pmbuko
onn
R Devries
Adrian
fredk
tomtuttle
Ajax
Ray3

Probably Attending:

SRoode
wheelz999
bridgman

Possibly Attending:

CV
FordPrefect
sonicfox
Murph
grunt
BobKay
chesseroo
Posted By: sonicfox Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 02:56 PM
Not many of you have spoken up about whether or not you are bringing your wives. I hope if I go, I'm not going to ruin any of your wild male bonding experiences!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 03:13 PM
Ewwwww.....

Oh, I read that as bondage.

Sorry. \:\)
Posted By: CV Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 03:21 PM
Male bondage experiments? I hope that's not some of the technical ground Andrew's going to cover in between drinks.
Posted By: medic8r Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 04:06 PM
It's a miracle any of us have wives.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 04:23 PM
You mean "allegedly" have wives \:\)
Posted By: medic8r Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 04:29 PM
is tru, audiopile frend!
Posted By: Milford3 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 04:35 PM
R A DeVries will attend
Posted By: BobKay Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 04:42 PM
I think I'm getting closer to a committment. As someone who has never imbibed alcohol (God, how'd I get through Music/Art colleges and Grad school??), I see a great opportunity for me here (in Dwight in Sept.)

My m.o. is to hang to the bitter end each night with the wastees. The next morning, I invent horrible things to tell people that they said to each other, then sit back, open a cola, and watch the fireworks. Great fun!

C'mon, I've been the designated driver my whole f'n life! There's gotta be some fairly equitable amusement in it for me.
Posted By: FireGuy Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 04:56 PM
Hey R A DeVries do I know you?
Posted By: medic8r Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 05:17 PM
Time to up DeVries' meds! His multiples are coming out again!
Posted By: jakewash Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 05:33 PM
 Originally Posted By: CV
If I end up not going, I can tell I'm really going to regret it.
I already do \:\(
Posted By: CatBrat Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 05:36 PM
I'll go if I win the Lotto, but until then, my next project is new floors at home. It'll be October by the time I'm done with that project and I'll be broke again.
Posted By: medic8r Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 05:45 PM
Attending:
MarkSJohnson
medic8r
pmbuko
onn
R Devries
Adrian
fredk
tomtuttle
Ajax
Ray3

Probably Attending:

SRoode
wheelz999
bridgman

Possibly Attending:

CV - and if not, he'll really regret it
FordPrefect
sonicfox
Murph
grunt
BobKay
chesseroo
CatBrat - if he wins the lottery
Posted By: Milford3 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 05:49 PM
I think so. I'm the one with the new QS4"S and now the duel sub set-up
Posted By: Andrew Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 05:52 PM
 Originally Posted By: CV
Male bondage experiments? I hope that's not some of the technical ground Andrew's going to cover in between drinks.

Ummm...no.
Posted By: Milford3 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 06:02 PM
That's my twin brother. Not on enough Meds.
Posted By: medic8r Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 06:08 PM
Then I regretfully must cancel my reservation.

;\)
Posted By: Milford3 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 06:23 PM
Hey R DeVries, I'm working on my passport.
Posted By: FireGuy Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 07:47 PM
That's a good thing you're doing R A . Can you buy meds with a passport in Canada?
Posted By: Ray3 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 09:03 PM
Did Amie post anywhere about Ian's buddy/lodge?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 09:17 PM
Not yet. Deal is likely still in the works.

Perhaps the buddy is having trouble tracking enough bottles of 1995 Krug "Clos Ambonnay" Brut Champagne for the mimosas.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/03/10 11:36 PM
YAY! I just spoke with Teri, and she is going to come with me (my sister may come also)!!

So, you can mark Teri and I down as going for sure (dependent on the cost of accommodations of course).

Good times!
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/04/10 02:54 AM
Woohoooo!!! we get to meet Teri... um, I mean, thats great cam. Can't wait to meet you.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/04/10 11:47 PM
MUCH too quiet in here today!

Ian/Other_Amie - any news on the Lumina situation?
Posted By: DanielBMe Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/05/10 02:01 PM
Hmm I thinking of attending on Saturday since I'm located in Toronto, so not too far a drive for me. I don't really know anyone on this site, I've posted infrequently even though I do read the site all the time. I just find it's better for my wallet when I stay away... ;-)

I've always wanted to do some listening tests and see the factory. Just curious is there anyone from the GTA going up?
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/05/10 02:07 PM
I'm thinking I'll be going up on the Saturday as well, I'm in Burlington. Can't commit 100% to it yet though.
Posted By: Ajax Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/05/10 03:10 PM
Hope you can make it, Wayne.
Posted By: bridgman Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/05/10 03:32 PM
 Originally Posted By: DanielBMe
I've always wanted to do some listening tests and see the factory. Just curious is there anyone from the GTA going up?

I'm planning to head up -- I live north of Bowmanville and work in Markham, not quite GTA but close ;\)
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/05/10 03:38 PM
Adrian is also heading up for the day. He's out in Caledon.
Posted By: real80sman Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/05/10 07:24 PM
My wife gave the thumbs up, just so long as I don't come home with any more speakers! LOL. Just have to clear it with work this week, and I'm in.
Posted By: medic8r Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/05/10 07:34 PM
Awesome. We're getting good critical mass now.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/05/10 07:58 PM
Perhaps it might be possible to get a group photo of us all on Saturday, s...aid the Axiomite who still hasn't said he's going.
Posted By: FireGuy Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/05/10 08:53 PM
Getting some topics together for discussion is a good idea Andrew. Here are some that should not be "agendized":

Cable Vs. Wire
Biwiring
Politics
Bose
Posted By: medic8r Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/05/10 09:52 PM
Andrew sent me a PM with the topics he plans to cover:

"All Amplifiers Sound the Same, Except Tubes, Which Are the Best"

"Why Your Amplifier Is Insufficient to Power the M80s"

"Monster Cable - an Introduction to Our New Corporate Partner"

"Mosquitoes - the Official Province Bird of Ontario"

"Annalog Tru Worldbest Sound - REFLECT!" by guest speaker bbigwyres
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/05/10 10:05 PM
Don't forget our favourite topic:

Meds for the dedicated audioholic, buy a mystery guest speaker...
Posted By: casey01 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/05/10 11:46 PM
 Originally Posted By: medic8r
Andrew sent me a PM with the topics he plans to cover:

"All Amplifiers Sound the Same, Except Tubes, Which Are the Best"

"Why Your Amplifier Is Insufficient to Power the M80s"

"Monster Cable - an Introduction to Our New Corporate Partner"

"Mosquitoes - the Official Province Bird of Ontario"

"Annalog Tru Worldbest Sound - REFLECT!" by guest speaker bbigwyres

Actually in that part of the province it is not the mosquito it is the "black fly"(much more dangerous). When the G8 people meet nearby later in June they will be in for a rude awakening.

Don't worry though, by September, they will all be gone.
Posted By: DanielBMe Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/06/10 12:01 AM
Is there a date which we need to confirm by? For right now I expect I'll be going up. I'll have been back from Bolivia and Peru about a week prior. Hopefully the ride down the world's most dangerous road doesn't become prophetic...
Posted By: CatBrat Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/06/10 12:07 AM
 Originally Posted By: fredk
Don't forget our favourite topic:

Meds for the dedicated audioholic, buy a mystery guest speaker...

How much does he/she cost?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/06/10 01:31 AM
That's great, Shawn! \:\)
Posted By: Ian Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/06/10 12:33 PM

Everyone,

We finally have some options for you for accommodation. Wheelz999 brought up the idea of camping and there is in fact a campground right next door to Axiom http://www.algonquintrails.on.ca . Their rates are $30 to $35 per day depending on the services you want. There is also Algonquin Provincial Park. The closest campsite in the park to Axiom would be Tea Lake campsite; it is about 35 km (21 mi) away http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca . There are also many resorts quite close to Axiom. Since we are still in the high season the resorts will all have limited space available but there are so many resorts around there is no danger of actually running out of accommodation; it will just mean if the numbers get large we will need to utilize a couple of different resorts near Axiom. Lumina Resort http://www.luminaresort.com is very conveniently located and has offered us a rate of $60 per night per person including breakfast.

There are two types of resorts around our area. The ones that have quaint rustic cabins near the lake, like Lumina, and the ones that are more like luxury hotels but still on the lake; these would include Deerhurst Resort (where the G8 summit is being held this month) http://www.deerhurstresort.com and Grandview Resort http://www.deltahotels.com/en/hotels/ontario/delta-grandview-resort .

Amie (“The Other Amie” on our message board) can look after booking whatever you would like or answering any of your questions. I would suggest you send her a PM, an e-mail amiel@axiomaudio.com ,or give her a call at 705-635-2222 to let her know what you need.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone in September.

Cheers,
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/06/10 02:58 PM
Thats an amazing rate Ian. Thank you to you and your friends at Lumina Resort.

I was originally thinking of camping at Arrowhead PP, but this may change my mind. I hope to know by Tuesday or Wednesday if I can swap shifts that week.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/06/10 04:09 PM
That is an amazing rate. It would be cool if all of us could swing staying at the same place.

Thanks, Ian.
Posted By: FireGuy Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/06/10 05:36 PM
I agree. Let's start a campaign to make this resort our rally point. Need to make certain the beer truck is there by Thursday AM.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/06/10 05:53 PM
How are you Americans getting there from the airport? Renting a car?
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/06/10 06:09 PM
If y'all rent a limo, the beer truck could meet you at the airport!
Posted By: FireGuy Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/06/10 06:16 PM
New vehicle cat...limbeerauto.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/06/10 06:34 PM
Well i'm still trying to clear a work date off my calendar, but if that happens, i will probably 'drag' myself east for this mayhem.

I would likely fly into TO and rent a vehicle. We get pretty good corporate rates through Enterprise so there is a possibility of me renting a larger vehicle for those looking for a drive from the airport.

This would of course require some fastidious timing and planning but i thought i would throw it out as a possibility in the next few weeks.

Is there an outline of the days/events planned?
i.e. what is going on thursday? friday? saturday? sunday?
Might help people to plan if they only want to head up for two nights vs. three or four.
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/06/10 06:59 PM
Well, on Friday Mark is playing golf. With himself... ;\)

The only official thing I know that is planned is Saturday at Axiom. I was thinking of arriving early to maybe do some paddling on the Thursday, but that is very much weather dependant.

I'm up for a round of golf on Friday.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/06/10 09:06 PM
Just ideas-

- Axiom group dinner Saturday? Some people are only going Saturday, so hopefully the dinner would include everyone.
- Friday/Saturday night drinking, and who's partaking in the debauchery! (I'm getting Mark hammered! \:D )
- I'm going to PM Amie about the cab situation up there. I'll need an accessible one to haul my inebriated ass around because Teri will be drinking and obviously can't drive my van.
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/06/10 09:19 PM
Relax Cam. We'll wheel you around. What could possibly go wrong?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/07/10 04:40 PM
JP, Peter and I are all flying into Buffalo on Thursday morning. We are planning to rent a car, stay in TO Thursday night and drive to Dwight Friday. We'll head back south on Sunday.

I've seen quite a bit of evidence regarding Peter's wife and have actually met JP's wife. So, we all HAVE wives, but we're not bringing them.

Most trips should have beer and food as central themes, and I am just beginning to do that research.

I'm looking forward to Cam and Mark reenacting the drinking scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/07/10 04:42 PM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle

I'm looking forward to Cam and Mark reenacting the drinking scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I NEED VIDEO.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/07/10 05:07 PM
Cam and the rest of you will be disappointed. I'm not really much of a drinker at all, having maybe 1-2 beers a week and I don't think I've had hard liquor in probably 20 years.

I used to have a bit too much of both, but that's not me anymore.
Posted By: Adrian Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/07/10 05:57 PM
Lol! you drink more than I do, Mark!
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/07/10 06:26 PM
I was only getting Mark going, as he already told me he was a lightweight \:\) . And I drink once every couple months, but when I do, I make up for lost time .

I need a drinking buddy - Murph.......
Posted By: Ian Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/08/10 05:14 PM

Everyone,

The Axiom Anniversary weekend is shaping up just great. Our plan is to have all the main events on Saturday day and evening. During the day on Saturday we will have factory tours, double blind listen tests, some workshops on various audio topics with Alan, Andrew, and myself, plus we will have a buffet lunch. For dinner on Saturday we will be hosting a BBQ and after dinner party. We will have the BBQ and party either in an open tent behind the factory (which is the Algonquin Trails campground) or at my dock; it will depend a lot on the weather.

For those coming on Thursday and Friday this will be a great time to play around Muskoka. Amie will organize the golf game on Friday for everyone who wants to play; I am sure some Axiom staff will want to join in for this. Besides the golfing there are lots of things to do around the area including canoeing, hiking, fishing, fine dining, and of course general lying around on the dock. Thursday and Friday evening we can all get together for a few drinks to bring a relaxing end to the day. Perhaps an evening boat cruise would be nice too.

I think we are probably running out of space at Lumina by now because they are hosting a wedding on Saturday but Amie is making arrangements at some other nearby lodges today for us.

We are all looking forward to meeting everyone in September.

Cheers,
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/08/10 05:52 PM
Awesome!
Posted By: sonicfox Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/08/10 07:40 PM
I seldom drink anymore since my already bad allergies get worse with alcohol (my nose gets WAY stuffy), but on the occasions I wanna party, I just take an antihistamine beforehand! LOL! I'm surprised how much I can still drink...probably about a six pack. So, watch out! ;)Oh, you can put me on the "probably" coming list. I'm going to be bringing a friend who will be my babysitter!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/08/10 08:01 PM
It would be great to meet you, Mary!
Posted By: chesseroo Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/09/10 01:44 PM
All this talk about booze and so little talk about the audio.
Sheesh.
In the least i hope people bring various listening test discs or music source material with them.

Originally Posted By: Ian

Everyone,
The Axiom Anniversary weekend is shaping up just great. Our plan is to have all the main events on Saturday day and evening. During the day on Saturday we will have factory tours, double blind listen tests, some workshops on various audio topics with Alan, Andrew, and myself,

Things I would love to see:

A speaker frequency analysis in the anechoic chamber.

An EP500/600 turned up to 100% to demonstrate two things; just how loud they can actually go (with listening room measurements monitored), and how well the DSP controls the max levels as advertised.

Just for kicks, i would also love to have a double blind test of an Axiom speaker vs. some other brand. However, i can see how that could potentially backfire as a marketing idea if people chose the other brand.
Maybe if the other brand was a really crappyBosequality of some kind...but of course that does slant the results.
Alternatively, a double blind test of ....yep....receiver A vs. receiver B (or amp A vs amp B).

One last thing, i know it is a weekend, but i'm keen on watching that assembly line pump out the speakers. Maybe someone could shoot a short video of that during the week and show it on the weekend.
Hard working people at work.
You can't appreciate it until you've seen it in action IMO.
Maybe some of us could get the chance to "attempt" to paint your own speakers?
Oooh better yet, grab that CAD program and setup the CNC machine to carve out your own speaker design!!

Ian, is this too far fetched for a day's worth of activities?
It's like a kid in a candy factory (forget the candy store, the factory is where the action is).
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/09/10 02:04 PM
I've never heard a good sub, and would be thrilled just to hear a 500 or above in a good room!
Posted By: Ajax Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/09/10 03:27 PM
I'll be content with whatever Ian and the gang come up with. \:\)
Posted By: medic8r Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/09/10 03:59 PM
There Jack goes again, being all agreeable and stuff.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/09/10 04:04 PM
I'll disagree to agree.
Posted By: Ajax Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/09/10 05:53 PM
I know. Silly me. I'm just really looking foward to this event and seeing everybody. I'm very confident I'll enjoy it no matter what is planned.
Posted By: medic8r Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/09/10 06:58 PM
Well, Mark's coming, so we'll see about that.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/09/10 07:04 PM
I know. Silly me. I'm just really looking foward to this event and seeing everybody. I'm very confident I'll enjoy it no matter what is planned.

That's gonna be difficult with those thingies stuck in your ears and duct tape wrapped around your head!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/09/10 07:50 PM
Really, Jack, you should have specified whose planning you are comfortable with.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/09/10 07:52 PM
I'm planning on having the cabins nuked from orbit, since I'm insanely jealous.
Posted By: medic8r Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/09/10 08:58 PM
I feel for ya, buddy. I really do. What a mixed blessing.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/09/10 09:39 PM
I'll try to enjoy it twice as much in your absence as I would with you there.

Hey, someone has to do it.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/09/10 09:57 PM
I wish I snatched up one of the cabins. It's just my luck that a wedding ended up being on that weekend too. I didn't want to get a cabin now in case I had to cancel just prior, resulting in an empty cottage and a lost accommodation for others. Hopefully Amie can get another deal on something nearby.
Posted By: Ajax Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/09/10 11:00 PM
Really, Jack, you should have specified whose planning you are comfortable with.

I thought I did.

I'll be content with whatever Ian and the gang come up with. \:\)

Posted By: Ajax Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/09/10 11:01 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
I'm planning on having the cabins nuked from orbit, since I'm insanely jealous.

Big disappointment that you won't be there, Ken. \:\(
Posted By: FireGuy Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/10/10 12:47 AM
I was lucky enough to make a reservation today (cabin)... at the Lumina. Vicki (at the Lumina Resort) said they had two units available for Axiom. And yes, there is a wedding that weekend booking at lot of the vacancies. Not sure if anyone else called but there is a chance that one cabin is still open.

You think Ian will lend me a pair of M60's and an amp? I'll return them on Monday, I promise.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/10/10 01:10 AM
Believe it or not, I've committed...just bought the plane tickets! \:o I'm kinda freaking out about it to tell you the truth! I don't normally do these kind of things, but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet so many of you in one place...and none better than at Axiom!

I'll be bringing my house mate with me. She'll be keeping me safe. ;\) Just kidding! More like keeping ME under control! LOL!!! Seriously, I'm a pretty shy person...so this is a big deal for me.

Thanks again to Mark for contacting me about this meeting and welcoming me back to such a fine forum. I'm looking forward to meeting you all! \:\)

Mary
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/10/10 01:25 AM
Thats awesome Mary. It is indeed a rare opportunity.

It looks like I'm good for Thursday throught Sunday now. Just waiting to confirm the details with my co-worker tomorrow.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/10/10 05:21 AM
That's wonderful, Mary! I'm very happy that you chose to attend!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/10/10 10:25 AM
Awesome, Mary! Very, very happy to see you can make it.

We didn't want to say anything to bias you beforehand, but everybody in Kraftwerk are friends with Ian and performing Saturday night on the docks!!!

Well, no, not really.

But it'll still be good to see you there! \:\)
Posted By: sonicfox Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/10/10 03:17 PM

We didn't want to say anything to bias you beforehand, but everybody in Kraftwerk are friends with Ian and performing Saturday night on the docks!!!

Kraftwerk music in the middle of nature? Doesn't seem to go together, but that would be NICE!!!

Looking forward to meeting all of you...and Tom, since you are the beer expert, you gotta buy me a good one! ;\)
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/10/10 03:35 PM
It will be my honor to share a pint with you.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/10/10 04:40 PM
Any other ideas on where to stay...that doesn't cost a fortune?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/10/10 05:01 PM
Mary: Check out this post with links to other hotels in the area.

Also, this link to The Board of Tourism and this video might be helpful.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/10/10 08:18 PM
Mary: Check out this post with links to other hotels in the area.

Also, this link to The Board of Tourism and this video might be helpful.

How far is Huntsville from Axiom? Oh...and where I'm from, we measure by TIME not distance! HAHA!
Posted By: medic8r Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/10/10 09:12 PM
In Canada they measure by Timmies.

Am I ready for my citizenship test yet?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/10/10 09:18 PM
20 Canadian minutes.

Here's the map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s...08&ie=UTF8&z=12
Posted By: jakewash Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/10/10 09:23 PM

You are getting close.

Can you tell me who just won the Stanley Cup and, I'll make it easy for you, the last 3 winners?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/10/10 09:24 PM
The Blackbeards, right?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/10/10 09:30 PM
What's "The Stanley Cup"?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/10/10 09:32 PM
Americans.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/10/10 10:43 PM
I called Lumina today and there's still room, which is the cheapest accommodations AFAIK, but they aren't wheelchair accessible.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/10/10 11:12 PM
 Originally Posted By: wheelz999
I called Lumina today and there's still room, which is the cheapest accommodations AFAIK, but they aren't wheelchair accessible.

I wish they'd make up their mind...I just reserved at Motel 6. Oh well, Motel 6 is pretty cheap too...$100/night for two people. No breakfast, but I found out there's a McDonald's nearby. That's good enough for me!
Posted By: Ray3 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/11/10 01:03 AM
 Originally Posted By: sonicfox

I wish they'd make up their mind...I just reserved at Motel 6. Oh well, Motel 6 is pretty cheap too...$100/night for two people. No breakfast, but I found out there's a McDonald's nearby. That's good enough for me!

Mary,

I have stayed at that Motel 6. RIGHT next door to the Holiday Inn Express (car pool with Mark??). Clean with smallish rooms. About 20 minutes from Dwight - assuming no delays caused by Bigfoot.

Across the street is a shopping center with a few selections for food and beverage. Plus, there is a Dairy Queen a couple of doors down.

Shopping center across the street
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/11/10 01:05 AM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash

You are getting close.

Can you tell me who just won the Stanley Cup and, I'll make it easy for you, the last 3 winners?

Thats easy. Chicago. Not Toronto, not Toronto and not Toronto.
Posted By: jakewash Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/11/10 07:09 AM
You're disqualified Fred, you ARE Canadian, but we can add another 40 behind those 3 "not Toronto"'s.
Posted By: Adrian Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/11/10 01:12 PM
Why's everyone always picking on the Leafs? Just because they haven't won the Stanley Cup for over 40 yrs, make more money than any other team, have players making millions of dolars to finish out of the playoffs year after year, owned by the Ontario Teachers Union which would rather see them NOT win to avoid any pullback of interest if they ever did win it all......

::sigh::

..... Goll Dang Leafs....YOU SUCK!!
Posted By: chesseroo Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/11/10 01:18 PM

The woman at Lumina has not been very accommodating so far (no returned messages, no returned emails, attitude on the phone that would have sent me to another hotel in an instant in any other circumstance and given the field work i've done over the years, that says alot b/c i've stayed in some pretty questionable places).
She's been bipolar from minute to minute the two times that two of us have called. I'm getting the impression she isn't really that thrilled about this deal/situation.
She seems overly concerned about filling her cabins rather than providing any service to the customer.

We're thinking about looking elsewhere.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/11/10 02:35 PM
I left a phone message there (Lumina) and never got a returned call either. I assumed there was nothing available.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/11/10 02:54 PM
I assumed there was nothing available.

Your assumption wasn't far from the truth.

The camping site next to the factory that Ian mentioned also has cabins.
I'm contemplating giving them a call.
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/11/10 03:17 PM
Sorry Adrian. Just trying to teach a few more Canadianisms.
Posted By: jakewash Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/11/10 03:23 PM
I think Adrian has a valid term for the Canadian language thread "..... Goll Dang Leafs....YOU SUCK!! " \:\)
Posted By: real80sman Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/11/10 05:36 PM
Well, you could always just grab a sleeping bag and curl up inside the anechoic chamber!
Posted By: bridgman Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/11/10 08:48 PM
I heard they loop a few selections from Dark Side of the Moon all night in the anechoic chamber to discourage squatters from making a nest there.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/11/10 09:25 PM
When I called and told her that I was physically handicapped, she informed me that there are steps into the cottages and that " we're not for you", which I thought was an odd way to say unfortunately we can't accommodate you. I was going to say something about her comment but she had to let me go because she had someone on hold. She did take my number and called me back not even 2 minutes later and discussed the accommodations further with me and was pleasant to talk to, although she did state rather emphatically that we are to be off the resort and the mingling is elsewhere, at which time I told her that everything is planned at the plant.

The one thing I will mention is that it's the only place I've called that won't work with me when I mentioned that a temporary ramp could be made to get me into the cabin (I mentioned it but nothing in return).
Posted By: sonicfox Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/11/10 10:04 PM
she did state rather emphatically that we are to be off the resort and the mingling is elsewhere, at which time I told her that everything is planned at the plant.

The one thing I will mention is that it's the only place I've called that won't work with me when I mentioned that a temporary ramp could be made to get me into the cabin (I mentioned it but nothing in return).

Hmmm...I can't imagine a resort full of wedding guests would be any quieter than a few Axiom members. Anyway, I wonder if a few handy guys here would be able to make a ramp for you, given they have available materials...or is it the fact the resort doesn't want to be held liable?
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/11/10 10:07 PM
Hmm... Small town, word travels. Are Ian and Alan party animals? ;\)
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/11/10 10:38 PM
Mary, I guarantee the guys could and would be able to, it's simple to make a ramp, we've done it numerous times.

I won't be staying there regardless because she was going to charge me full price for my caregiver, which I require. Again, the resort I go to twice yearly, and other places I've stayed that are a per-person fee (a $1.5 million cottage) have only charged me, not my caregiver (I incur both charges). Here in Canada my caregiver flies for free (domestic flights), travels VIA rail free, gets into the cinema free etc. etc.

Whatever ..........
Posted By: Ian Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/11/10 10:54 PM
Everyone,

We have checked into a few more options for places to stay and both Blue Spruce Resort http://www.bluespruce.ca and Spring Lake Resort http://www.springlakeresort.net are good options. Blue Spruce is all-round a nicer resort but a bit further away (8 km or 5 mi). If you can e-mail amiel@axiomaudio.com with your requirements she will make the arrangements for you. We can arrange it so the price is the same $60 per night per person and this will include breakfast at Lumina. At least everyone can have breakfast together even though you may be at separate resorts.

Cheers,

Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/12/10 01:37 AM
Thank you Ian. I will contact Amie.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/12/10 10:17 PM
she did state rather emphatically that we are to be off the resort and the mingling is elsewhere, at which time I told her that everything is planned at the plant.

Cam, I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly. Are you saying that she was not very open to us "hanging around" the resort?
Posted By: Adrian Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/12/10 10:29 PM
Part of renting the room at the resort would be to use the facilities provided and "hang about" if desired, I would think. Maybe just a misunderstanding there...someone should tell her that Mark will not have more than 50 guests in his room at any given time...

;\)
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/12/10 11:09 PM
No misunderstanding. She also told me that she informed Ian of this. I don't know to what extent she was talking about, but I'm guessing she wants it quiet as the resort is booked solid for the wedding. Vickie is probably stressed with the wedding accommodations, and I'm sure she's a pleasant lady, but I didn't get a good vibe (don't think I'm the only one), which is why I won't stay there regardless.

I hate being the middle person for stuff because I don't want to come off the wrong way, but it's just what I was told; I'm not two faced.

I will say that I received a PM from Ian, and in typical Axiom fashion, he told me not to worry about accessibility regardless where I stay, they're going to build a ramp if needed and are taking care of things for me.
Posted By: Milford3 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 01:54 AM
Hey Ian, I have an idea that everyone might enjoy. Could someone at the factory snap a picture of the place? It would be nice to know what the factory looks like before we arrive for the gala.

You could post the pic somewhere on Axioms web site.
Posted By: FireGuy Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 02:05 AM
Nice idea. BTW I just picked up a couple of new CD's for Father's Day:

- Sirenia's "13th Floor"
- Nightwish's "Once"

Your copies will be ready when you get here in September for our Dwight trip.
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 02:06 AM
 Quote:
I will say that I received a PM from Ian, and in typical Axiom fashion, he told me not to worry about accessibility regardless where I stay, they're going to build a ramp if needed and are taking care of things for me.

Thats excellent Cam!. I'm sure Mark is relieved that he won't have to piggy back you everywhere.
Posted By: Milford3 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 02:20 AM
The M3's will love Sirenia's "13th Floor". Wish I was home listening to my QS4's but I'm at work working commuications We bean bagged bears all day.
Posted By: FireGuy Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 02:27 AM
We may need to bean more at Axiom's factory...they'll be gearing up for hybernation and will probably want to get their audio and BBQ fill before passing out. Hope you'll still a good shot after some Moose Heads.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 03:00 AM
It's on Google street view, east of Dwight and just east of Spring Lake Rd, on the north side of the road.
Posted By: Ajax Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 03:57 AM

I'm guiesstimating abut 4 miles (6-7 km) between Axiom & The Lumina

Posted By: chesseroo Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 04:48 AM
 Originally Posted By: Robert DeVries
Could someone at the factory snap a picture of the place? It would be nice to know what the factory looks like before we arrive for the gala.

You could post the pic somewhere on Axioms web site.

You can see some older pics of the factory from 2004 here.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 01:11 PM
Post deleted by me.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 04:22 PM

Cam, I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly. Are you saying that she was not very open to us "hanging around" the resort?

I'm just looking for a place to sleep with a roof over my head. As far as mingling with the wedding folks (can you say "Wedding Crashers"?), no biggie. We'll have a pretty sizable group and Saturday is spoken for, probably at Ian Manor. Friday night, I'm guessing we'll find a restaurant/watering hole to spend time and get to know each other.

By the time this is all done, we are going to wonder what we were fussing about. \:\)

Now the big question. Are we going to try and talk to each other while we are there, or just post back & forth on our laptops?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 04:29 PM
I figured we'd move to texting on our phones while there!

Except for Jack, who will be trying to send Morse Code....
Posted By: Ray3 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 04:31 PM
I figured we'd move to texting on our phones while there!

Actually, Jack asked me if I spoke "smoke signals".
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 04:32 PM
and did you tell him that yes, indeed... you wrote your college thesis in smoke?

Hell, come to think of it, it was one of my specialties after high school as well, so....
Posted By: Ray3 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 04:35 PM
We may need to bean more at Axiom's factory...they'll be gearing up for hybernation and will probably want to get their audio and BBQ fill before passing out. Hope you'll still a good shot after some Moose Heads.

My curiosity got the better of me, so I googled "Moose Head". Two results came back. In Canada, it's a beer. In West Virginia, it's a felony.

Not sure what to make of that.
Posted By: Ajax Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 05:54 PM
 Originally Posted By: Ray3

Actually, Jack asked me if I spoke "smoke signals".
Hey Hey! A little respect here. I'll have you know last Monday, I got an HTC EVO 4G. That's right, skeptical breath.........4G! The old guy is cutting edge!!!!!!

(Now if I could just figure out how to turn it on )
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 05:58 PM
You're way ahead of me, Jack.

I don't think my phone is anything "G"! \:\)

All I know is that I can call people with it. It isn't connected to the internet, doesn't make popcorn or do my taxes.

Oh, I can take photos with it, but I have other cameras for that....
Posted By: Ajax Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 06:00 PM
 Originally Posted By: Ray3
My curiosity got the better of me, so I googled "Moose Head". Two results came back. In Canada, it's a beer. In West Virginia, it's a felony.

Not sure what to make of that.

Here in Cleveland, it's a Saloon.

Actually, it's an eclectic pub/restaurant, not far from me, which has an interesting atmophere and some pretty good food.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 06:01 PM
Well, let's drive to there Friday nite, 9/10/10!
Posted By: Ajax Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 06:04 PM

Interestingly, to me, the 8 megapixel camera is one of the EVO's real assets. My little Canon camera (which I like very much) is only 7,1 megapixels. I can now leave my camera at home and carry only piece of equipment, the phone.
Posted By: BobKay Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 06:05 PM
Now that I've seen Jack's photos of Axiom's campus, (thanks, Jack), it looks suspiciously like a northern California rehab facility. Is this some kind of intervention trick?
Posted By: Ajax Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 06:07 PM
Well, let's drive to there Friday nite, 9/10/10!

Someday, should you ever find yourself in this area, we will do exactly that!
Posted By: Ajax Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 06:13 PM
 Originally Posted By: BobKay
Now that I've seen Jack's photos of Axiom's campus, (thanks, Jack), it looks suspiciously like a northern California rehab facility. Is this some kind of intervention trick?
LOL! Good one, Bob.

(Yes, we're going to dry out the lovable, but beer-soaked, Peter and Tom. )

You're very welcome, Bob. I believe in the old "a picture is worth a thousand words" thingy.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 06:17 PM
 Originally Posted By: Jack
I believe in the old "a picture is worth a thousand words" thingy.

And by using words like "thingy", mastering photography might be more important for you than most?

Edit: We all know Jack and Tom are the literary scholars of this forum!
Posted By: BobKay Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 06:18 PM
Oh, OK. As long as it's someone's else's time for tough love, I'm cool. And I'm thinkin' your list is probably waaaaayyy to short, no?
Posted By: sonicfox Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 06:22 PM
You're way ahead of me, Jack.

I don't think my phone is anything "G"! \:\)

All I know is that I can call people with it. It isn't connected to the internet, doesn't make popcorn or do my taxes.

You can all laugh at me if you'd like...but, I own a Tracfone! I don't need a fancy phone since no one ever calls me when I'm not available by landline. If I'm not at home, I'm at work. I found it less expensive for me than a contract. Also, one advantage of a Tracfone is you can call internationally without extra charges. You use up the same amount of minutes on the phone as you would calling your neighbor. I use that feature a lot when calling my friend in Brazil. I don't know of any regular cell phone service that includes international calling for free...without upgrading to expensive plans.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 06:47 PM
You can all laugh at me if you'd like...

Note to self for September: Gather a small group of members to point at Mary and laugh....

I've never cared for whatever is the latest and greatest for phones. They're a tool to make calls, and that's it for me. So Mary, you're really "OK" in my book! (though I still want to do that laughing" thing in Sept.! \:\)

Jack, take a couple of test photos with your phone v. your camera. Megapixels isn't everything, and it just might be that you like the photos taken with your regular camera more because of a superior lens.

I'm not saying the convenience of not having to carry a separate camera wouldn't win out in the end, but....
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 07:53 PM
 Quote:
I've never cared for whatever is the latest and greatest for phones.

I generally don't care either, but a rotary dial phone doesn't work very well in a car. Well, at least not after the first 20' of travel time...
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 07:55 PM

Posted By: Ajax Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 08:08 PM
Jack, take a couple of test photos with your phone v. your camera. Megapixels isn't everything, and it just might be that you like the photos taken with your regular camera more because of a superior lens.

I'm not saying the convenience of not having to carry a separate camera wouldn't win out in the end, but....

I did a brief test Mark. In my opinion, the HTC is marginally superior. Even if it isn't, it is close enough that, as you say, the convenience of not having to carry a separate camera wins out. Final judgement won't really be made until I spend some real time with the HTC, and take numerous photos.

Remember, I am a photographic hack. I just want some relatively decent snapshots.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 08:12 PM
Remember, I am a photographic hack. I just want some relatively decent snapshots.

Those "snapshots" you take of friends and family are infinitely more important than the photos of products people pay me to take!
Posted By: Ajax Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/13/10 09:02 PM
Agreed! \:\)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/14/10 03:24 AM
I've been to the Moose Head, but my wife's family usually frequents the Ironwood next door.
Posted By: Ajax Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/14/10 11:23 AM
Been to the Ironwood once. I'm good friends with many of the members of the high school class which was 2 years behind mine. They are having a 45th reunion in about a month and the Friday night icebreaker is going to be at the Ironwood. I will be in attendance and I'll holler your name to see if anyone cheers, boos, or runs.
Posted By: Murph Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/14/10 12:43 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
I've been to the Moose Head, but my wife's family usually frequents the Ironwood next door.

Old riddle, this reminded me off.
How far is it to MooseJaw?

Warning, Spoiler:
About seven feet from his butt.

Posted By: bridgman Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/14/10 01:50 PM
I was surprised to see the Axiom factory on Google Street View.

Maybe someone was using the camera van to pick up their speakers ?
Posted By: medic8r Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/14/10 01:52 PM
Best white van speaker sale EVAR.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/14/10 02:57 PM
Murph, buddy, have you booked your ticket yet?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/14/10 03:03 PM
Murph PM'd me this morning that it isn't at all likely that he'll be able to make it. I promised I wouldn't ask him about it anymore because I think it makes him feel bad!
Posted By: medic8r Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/14/10 04:21 PM
So, no ticket yet, maybe tomorrow, then, Murph?

:runs away running:
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/14/10 09:21 PM
Hey guys, is Amie's e-mail address- amiel@axiomaudio.com?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/14/10 09:24 PM

:runs away running Drives away really fast:

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/14/10 09:29 PM
Yes, it's amiel@axiomaudio.com.
Posted By: bridgman Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/14/10 10:00 PM
Is it worth trying to edit out the posts mentioning Amie's email address so they don't get scanned & added to some awful spammers list ?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/14/10 10:17 PM
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that I got the e-mail address from a previous message that Ian posted earlier in this thread.

Edit- yep it's on page 25, so I think everything is kosher.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/14/10 10:32 PM
so I think everything is kosher.

I guess you meant "I think it's probably too late now". These things happen, but it is always a good idea (even for Ian) to avoid leaving full email addresses in the public section of a website. Not a big deal as anti-spam soft are getting pretty good.
Posted By: onn Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/15/10 01:47 AM
I think it would be a good idea if both JC and Brent would be at the celebration on Saturday. I do know that one of them would probably have to work that weekend but maybe Ian can make it a one day affair where the help line would not be operating. It would be nice to get to meet the voices I hear when calling to get info or help.
Posted By: jakewash Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/15/10 06:35 AM
I would be willing to bet you will get to met them, if nothing else during a tour of the facility.
Posted By: Murph Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/15/10 02:37 PM

:runs away running Drives away really fast:

Haha. Well I do feel bad that I won't be there but I take people asking me if I'll be there as a good thing.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/15/10 06:25 PM
I think you're all going to be quite disappointed in both my level of scholarship and my level of intoxication.

But I'm optimistic that Jack and Ray's level of "old" will somehow make up for it all.

Sorry to hear that the Lumina is shaping-up as a mirth-free zone. We'll adapt.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/15/10 07:30 PM
Sorry to hear that the Lumina is shaping-up as a mirth-free zone. We'll adapt.

The dudes abide.
Posted By: medic8r Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/15/10 08:22 PM
I'm bringing a rug in my carry on. I hope it really ties the room together.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/15/10 08:42 PM
Why bring it in your carry on? Why not just keep it on your head?
Posted By: Adrian Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/15/10 09:26 PM
They might quarantine it for 6 mos! \:D
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/15/10 11:03 PM
There will be a beverage there.
Posted By: Jc Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/15/10 11:22 PM
 Originally Posted By: onn
I think it would be a good idea if both JC and Brent would be at the celebration on Saturday. . .

Hi,
Don't tink for a second that anyone could have kept us away from such a memorable event.

It was supposed to be a surprise ! But now we are forced to reveal it . . . both Brent and I will be there for sure.
Posted By: onn Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/16/10 12:14 AM
Thanks JC
It will be great to meet both of you.
Posted By: cb919 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/16/10 05:28 PM
Hi all - this get together really sounds good. Unfortunately I can't commit to going as I have 3 different trips I have to work around from end of August through September. However since Dwight is only a 4 hour drive from my place along some awesome motorcycle roads, I may opportunistically decide to drop in when the weekend arrives. Accommodations aside, anybody know if you can just drop in to the celebrations or do you need to give Axiom some advance notice? I know, email Axiom, just started typing since I was scanning the forum anyway!
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/16/10 06:04 PM
No advanced notice as far as I know. There's just a list of attendees, maybes etc. Although it hasn't been updated, you could put yourself down as "maybe attending", in case there's a need for an approximate number for the festivities.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/16/10 06:12 PM
Does anyone know who else I should contact about accommodations? I was told to contact Amie, and did on Friday, but she must be away on holidays because I haven't got a reply.

I just really want to get my accommodations figured out and out of the way.

Thanks
Posted By: Ray3 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/16/10 07:14 PM
Does anyone know who else I should contact about accommodations? I was told to contact Amie, and did on Friday, but she must be away on holidays because I haven't got a reply.

I just really want to get my accommodations figured out and out of the way.

Thanks

Ian had a couple of additional resort suggestions he made in a later post. Huntsville has the Motel6 and the Holiday Inn Express (both should be pretty good for access). A search on Dwight, Huntsville or Muskoka would also yield some results that you might find interesting.

Not sure where you are planning on staying, but you could just call them directly. Actually might be better than working through Amie since a direct call would give you the opportunity to work through some of the special details and discuss solutions you might need.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/16/10 07:18 PM
 Originally Posted By: cb919
Hi all - this get together really sounds good. Unfortunately I can't commit to going as I have 3 different trips I have to work around from end of August through September. However since Dwight is only a 4 hour drive from my place along some awesome motorcycle roads, I may opportunistically decide to drop in when the weekend arrives. Accommodations aside, anybody know if you can just drop in to the celebrations or do you need to give Axiom some advance notice? I know, email Axiom, just started typing since I was scanning the forum anyway!

I'm guessing that the words "informal" and "party on" will be in play here, so there shouldn't be a problem just showing up.

The only downsides I see to your plan are:
1) Rain or the time you'll need to pick bugs out of your teeth
2) Beer + motorcycles + 4 hour ride = not a good equation
3) Keeping your tuxedo clean and wrinkle free on the ride up.
Posted By: cb919 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/16/10 07:31 PM
Good points Ray3, my responses:

1 - Bugs are good eatin' (or I can take the car)

2 - Incorrect order and omission - Motorcycle + 4hr ride then beer + party til I sleep somewhere then slow but sober ride home to remove hangover \:D

3 - My apparel is usually clean but almost never wrinkle free anyway! I'm trying to make that a new style, it just hasn't caught on yet.

Cheers
Posted By: Ray3 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/16/10 08:40 PM
Excellent!

Then we'll see ya there?
Posted By: cb919 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/16/10 09:19 PM
I hope so - it will be Epic! very bad pun intended
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/18/10 09:34 PM
I just called Blue Spruce Resort and luckily timed it when Ian was there! Just wanted to say that he was a hoot to talk to on the phone, cracking jokes and having a laugh.

I don't imagine talking to the big guy is common unless you go to the plant, so I thought I'd let everyone know that they're not only dealing with a company that surpasses expectations, but a top notch owner.

Cam
Posted By: Adrian Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/18/10 10:45 PM
You got to talk to the Grand Poobah!!? \:\)
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/18/10 10:50 PM
Yeppers! \:\) .
Posted By: pmbuko Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/19/10 04:42 AM
I'm lucky enough to get to talk to him about once a month. I'll be sad when my tenure on the Customer Council is up, but then some other lucky Axiom owner will get to take my place. \:\( \:\)
Posted By: Worfzara Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/19/10 11:18 AM
Oh Goodie, an excuse to visit the Axiom Plant again. Count me in, I will be there! I will be bringing my wife, or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

It's about a 4.5 hour drive, from where I live, but lots to see and do on the way.

I am Looking forward to it!

paul
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/19/10 11:44 AM
 Originally Posted By: Worfzara
I will be bringing my wife, or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

Wait.

We're allowed to bring facsimiles? Do they HAVE to be reasonable?

It'll be good to see you, Paul!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/19/10 11:12 PM
Your wife must be very thin to fit into the fax machine.

Posted By: BBIBH Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/29/10 12:06 AM
Hi Ian,

count me in, I am finalizing plans with "the other Amie"

I will bring my AX3's the 1980' brochure and the pics I took during the factory visit in 1991 for you.

I will be driving up on Saturday from Cambridge Ontario - 3-4 hours away!

Regards
Mike
Posted By: sonicfox Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/29/10 12:11 AM
Originally Posted By: BBIBH
Hi Ian,

Regards
Mike

Yay! smile You and chesseroo are ones I remember from a LONG time ago when I first registered. It will be nice to meet you!

BTW...I'm getting shirts made up for all of us to wear in case you didnt know. So, you better wear it! wink
Posted By: chesseroo Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/29/10 12:32 AM
Quote:

Yay! smile You and chesseroo are ones I remember from a LONG time ago when I first registered. It will be nice to meet you!

BB/Mike registered amazingly long ago and with his recent resurgence coming out of the bushes, he now surpasses Sonic as the longest active posting member of the Axiom forums.
Posted By: fredk Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/29/10 12:32 AM
Hi Ian,

I will bring my AX3's the 1980' brochure and the pics I took during the factory visit in 1991 for you.

Cool. It will be neat to listen to the progress of sound from model to model.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/29/10 12:35 AM

BTW...I'm getting shirts made up for all of us to wear in case you didnt know. So, you better wear it! wink

Ma'am, yes ma'am!
[stands up straight so fast to salute cracks can be heard along the joints]

Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/29/10 01:16 AM
I'm not only bringing Teri; my mom, dad and sister are coming also! A family weekend together!
Posted By: CV Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/29/10 04:59 AM
That's great, Cam. Now I'll HAVE to entertain Teri since you'll have your hands full with your family.
Posted By: jakewash Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/29/10 06:42 AM
Oh great, now we are going to be subjected to CV's trials and tribulations with women once again wink
Posted By: CV Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/29/10 06:44 AM
Oh, speaking of which, a stripper waved at me today! At least, she's rumored to have been a stripper.
Posted By: jakewash Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/29/10 06:48 AM
Go get her Charles! smile
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/29/10 10:51 AM
Did the pole she was carrying give it away?
Posted By: Adrian Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/29/10 12:54 PM
No. She smelled like vanilla.
Posted By: CV Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/29/10 06:37 PM
Did the pole she was carrying give it away?

No, no, that was me with the pole.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/29/10 06:40 PM
Bazinga!
Posted By: BBIBH Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/30/10 01:44 PM
Thanks, I will see what I can do about the shirts...a man has to keep his fashion sense, at least somewhat!

Chess, yes, I am a veteran of this board - and having owned and followed Axiom for over 20 years, probably one of the things I admire most is the companies ability to provide world class customer service.

While I look in on all of you once a month or so, I must say I saw this thread and thought I need to check more often, as I easily could have missed this!!

Rgegards
Mike
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 06/30/10 06:44 PM
If you might be interested in golfing on the Friday of the 30 Year Anniversary weekend (on Sept. 10th, please PM me. I know that a few of you had previously mentioned an interest in golf (SRoode, Adrian, RickF) but there isn't a definitive list. Even if you're unsure at this point, please get in touch with me.

The only people on the actual list on the sticky of the other thread are Jakeman, FredK and myself....but I know there are other potentials out there!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 07/02/10 12:17 AM
No one?
Posted By: CV Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 07/02/10 03:55 AM
Even miniature golf seems too big for me.
Posted By: BBIBH Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 07/02/10 12:01 PM
Hi Mark, thanks for the invite.

At this point I am not sure about golfing. I love golfing, bought my current house near a golf course, but have been too busy this summer to take my clubs out of the basement!! I am travelling to Europe soon, and not back until mid August - wont get a chance to play St Andrews or Royal Troon this trip!!

So best case is if I can swing it (pardon the pun!!) I am hacking while most are in smooth mid season form!!

Worst case is I miss the golf game, but definitely will be there for the party!!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 07/02/10 12:16 PM
most are in smooth mid season form!!

Wow... I won't speak for others, but that's a pretty big assumption. I'm still a hack at the end of the season!
Posted By: BBIBH Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 07/02/10 01:48 PM
Well then, maybe I have a shot at the game!! LOL
Posted By: Ray3 Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 07/03/10 02:52 AM
No one?

OK Mark, I've been watching this whole golf thing unfold (or stay folded up, really) and it doesn't seem to be getting much traction.

So what's the solution that MIGHT get somebody to actually play a game with you? One word:

CURLING!!!

Almost everybody has a broom; this could work for you!! grin
Posted By: bridgman Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 07/03/10 03:26 AM
How about skeet ? It's a speaker factory, most of what they do is cut round holes in wood. There must be a big pile of round things out back we could throw in the air..

Nothing goes "pfft!" like MDF hit with a load of #7-1/2.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 07/03/10 04:33 AM
I'd be up for that, but I'm much better at hitting the air next to the flying target than the target itself. I much prefer rifles and stationary targets.
Posted By: bridgman Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 07/03/10 06:21 AM
That passes with practice... or so I'm told.

One day I was up at the skeet club, sitting out on the balcony watching the 5-stand sporting clays range. One shooter seemed to get much bigger "puffs" of black dust from the targets than everyone else, and I wondered aloud if he was using some special choke, high velocity ammo, or something.

It was (quite rudely, in my opinion) pointed out to me that the shooter was the current Canadian champion, that targets are *always* supposed to blow up like that, and that if I shot 5,000 rounds a week my targets would probably blow up like that too.

I don't think I've fired 5,000 rounds in my entire life.
Posted By: a401classic Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 07/03/10 07:25 AM
Originally Posted By: bridgman
Nothing goes "pfft!" like MDF hit with a load of #7-1/2.

50 BMG does a nice job, too!
Posted By: a401classic Re: 30 Year Anniversary Celebration - 07/03/10 08:07 AM
Originally Posted By: bridgman
That passes with practice... or so I'm told.

targets are *always* supposed to blow up like that, and that if I shot 5,000 rounds a week my targets would probably blow up like that too.

I don't think I've fired 5,000 rounds in my entire life.

Having shot trap and skeet competitively for many years as a kid, I can tell you that a big black puff means that the shot is dead on, that all. Fortunately for me those are scored the same as a shot that only produces a single (visible to the scorer) chip. There are no 'style' points awarded.

5000 rounds a week? Wow. In my prime, 1200 rounds a week was a VERY busy week - 8 rounds of trap or skeet / day (typical competition) = 200 shots/day x 6 days = 1200 rounds. I never practiced at that rate, either. Closer to 400 rounds a week was typical.

Scott
© Axiom Message Boards