Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ian Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/07/15 11:12 AM
The introduction of our new wireless platform is a big step in a new direction and we are considering also giving it a whole new look and logo variant. The current challenge is what to call it. Below are a few of names we have come up with that we would like your feedback on. Any additions you would like to make to the name pool would be most welcome.

Posted By: jmone Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/07/15 11:40 AM
Any specs to share with us yet?
Thanks
Nathan
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/07/15 11:49 AM
Without getting into specific naming, I thought I would throw out a comment that I like the look, feel, color and "lightness" of the new logo+name combinations!

I voted for three choices as well.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/07/15 01:08 PM
I agree, Mark. Ian, I kind of like the idea of adding the word "air" to a couple of the choices...like Axiom Air Link, Axiom Air Connect, Axiom Air Play ect..

Axiom (Air) Wave
Axiom Airphonic
Axiom Atmos
Axiom Borealis
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/07/15 01:35 PM
Honestly, I think "Air" is overdone of late. I'm not really coming up with synonyms that I prefer, though, except maybe Ether.... and I'm not all that crazy about that. smile
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/07/15 03:38 PM
There might also be variations on concepts like:
Axiom Unchained
Axiom Unbound
Axiom Free or Freedom
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/07/15 04:34 PM
I am not a marketing guy, but I am not fond of any of them.

I did not vote, so I cannot view the results! How about an option for those to either write in, or choose none of the above so we can at least see what the consensus is?

I can say that "air", "i" and several of the choices listed are well passed their best before dates.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/07/15 05:29 PM
My first thought is "too many syllables"... found I preferred the shorter names like AxiomAir even though I agree that Air is overused. Wondering if starting with something like "a" instead of Axiom might work better.

All that said, if we're talking about the platform rather than a specific speaker I lean towards AxiomLink, but I'm not a big fan of confusing "lifestyle" names and have a strong preference for names that actually describe the product.

Something like "Small wireless speaker" is more to my liking smile
Posted By: MMM Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/07/15 06:14 PM
I find that putting the word 'air' into the name makes it sound too much like you are trying to ride on Apple coat-tails.

AxiomPlay sounds like a video game
AxiomLink sounds like a computer protocol and not an easy pick up and it works sort of thing.

Thinking about it some more, I sort of like the AxiomOpus along with the AxiomPlay.

watch words. Aeris is a defunct french airline. Vivus is a California drug company for erectile disfunction. You can easily get a good laugh at your product by choosing the wrong name.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/07/15 06:47 PM
Quote:
watch words

Damn. There goes my suggestion for "The Little Blue Speaker" or the "Axiom WindBreaker".
Posted By: CV Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/07/15 07:09 PM
From Wikipedia: "Air is one of the four classical elements in ancient Greek philosophy and science. According to Plato, it is associated with the octahedron; air is considered to be both hot and wet."

AXXXiom SeXXX

Sex sells. And it will also explain why products from the line will keep proliferating around my house.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/07/15 08:34 PM
Replay

Edit: looks like there's one named Replay already...

Go
P1000
Rain
4-play

Can't wait to see it...

Posted By: Mojo Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/08/15 06:34 AM
Axiom Epiphony

As in "Dude, I had an epiphony when I heard the Axiom wireless platform!"
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/08/15 06:52 AM
Mojo, as in I got my Mojo back
Posted By: CV Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/08/15 09:16 AM
Axiom Axiom

The platform so nice they named it twice. AA for short. The instructions for each device in the line should all be 12 steps long.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/08/15 03:15 PM
I was given these (and a few other) choices by Ian when I was up there a little over a week ago, looked at them for a while, and never got back to him. Here are some thoughts based off of what comes to mind and first hand experience with the product capabilities.

Play - Google Play?
Next - What's next?
Air - Apple Air?
Link - Missing link?
Connect - Considering what the technology can do, it fits, but isn't "catchy"
Opus - Cartoon penguin (even though I have two daughters that have been in Opus honor choirs, this still comes to mind)
Viva - Las Vegas
Aeris - Maybe....
Vivo - Los Vegos (hehe)
Vivus - Too much like Virus

Maybe it is the pessimist in me that brings out the negative side of the names, but we all know a few characters out there that will tear apart anything Axiom related, even a name, just because they like the tension that it creates.
Posted By: AAAA Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/08/15 07:20 PM
Axiom Aura
Axiom Genie
Axiom Aspire
Axiom Ethos
Axiom Smartspeak
Axiom Wavecatcher
Axiom Impulse
Axiom Playmaker
Axiom Escape
Axiom Exist
Axiom Inspire
Axiom MC
Axiom desire
Axiom Icon
Axiom Relay
Axiom Eventus
Axiom Converge

Axiom super duper good times fun box. laugh
Posted By: JBG Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/08/15 07:30 PM
Axiom Micro or Micro-Play
Axiom Nano or Nano-Play
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/08/15 10:21 PM
I like it...The Axiom by Axiom...
Where's Bob?
Posted By: fredk Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/09/15 02:37 AM
Originally Posted By: oakvillematt
... Vivus is a California drug company for erectile disfunction...

Axiom Vivus. Put the boing back in your music.

Catchy in the wrong sort of way.
Posted By: fredk Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/09/15 02:39 AM
Originally Posted By: brwsaw
I like it...The Axiom by Axiom...
Where's Bob?

I think his day pass expired.
Posted By: fredk Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/09/15 02:40 AM
Axiom Air. Sure it sounds like you're riding Apples coat tails, but everyone know what it is.

I Like the sound of Axiom Ethos. Will the wider public get the reference?
Posted By: bridgman Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/09/15 03:06 AM
Originally Posted By: Serenity_Now

blah blah
Axiom Wavecatcher
blah blah

I like Wavecatcher.

There's an obvious similarity with the Totem Dreamcatcher but I think it's sufficiently different. Only problem is that the Dreamcatcher is probably about the same size as a wireless speaker is going to be so might come across as a bit of a ripoff (that's how we say homage in English).

All that said, if the name is going to be "Axiom" without a space I keep coming back to Air or another single-syllable name.
Posted By: CV Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/09/15 07:37 AM
Originally Posted By: bridgman
All that said, if the name is going to be "Axiom" without a space I keep coming back to Air or another single-syllable name.

Axiom Heir?
Posted By: Adrian Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/09/15 01:07 PM
Axiom Horizon? Axiom Tropos? Stratos?

Maybe one that appeals to peoples culinary senses...Axiom Chow-Dah.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/09/15 04:44 PM
I'm just not sure I have enough information to have an opinion, and probably could never get enough information to be as creative as the rest of you.

Are we talking about a *product* or a *platform* that might be employed in multiple products?
Posted By: Ian Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/09/15 05:29 PM
It is the platform we are naming. There will be multiple wireless products that come out using this platform.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/09/15 06:06 PM
Well, then AxiomLink or AxiomConnect seem close enough to me.

And I like the new logo!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/09/15 09:11 PM
Of the ones listed I voted for Vivo, but none of them really grab me. I agree that "Air" is already a crowded namespace.

How about Axiom Beacon or Blaze?

Oh, I like the redesign of the 'a' in the logo.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/09/15 09:55 PM
axiomeverything

Would be the most appropriate name. It will do it all...

Until official specs of the platform are released to everyone, some names may end up being a little too "limited" in scope (Air for one.)
Posted By: a401classic Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/09/15 11:25 PM
Originally Posted By: nickbuol
axiomeverything

Would be the most appropriate name. It will do it all...

"Whoops, I probably shouldn't have said that"
--Hagrid
Posted By: Adrian Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/10/15 01:43 AM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko

How about Axiom Beacon or Blaze?

"Beacon" might work. Sounds like Bacon. That's a good thing.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/10/15 03:06 AM
What about Axiomaurora (from aurora borealis)? Muskoka created the world’s first permanent Dark Sky Reserve called Torrance Barrens Dark-Sky Preserve, where the aurora borealis can be viewed. The aurora borealis looks like waves in the sky. Maybe wireless waves look similar. Also it's distinctly Muskoka and distinctly Canadian, which I believe fits Axioms MO.

Peace
Originally Posted By: Da_Gimp_Pimp
What about Axiomaurora (from aurora borealis)? Muskoka created the world’s first permanent Dark Sky Reserve called Torrance Barrens Dark-Sky Preserve, where the aurora borealis can be viewed. The aurora borealis looks like waves in the sky. Maybe wireless waves look similar. Also it's distinctly Muskoka and distinctly Canadian, which I believe fits Axioms MO.

Peace

Axiom Aurora Air
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/10/15 10:45 AM
Ooh, I like Aurora, but I wouldn't put it as one word, unless you use intercaps:

AxiomAurora
Posted By: JBG Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/10/15 11:19 AM
Here"s a few more

Axiom Evolution Series

Axiom Hi-five

Axiom Revolution Series

Posted By: MMM Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/10/15 12:05 PM
Why not stick with their current naming conventions rather than trying to come up with something new.

Call it the Axiom RM(x) or Axiom R(x)

You have the M, QS, EP, LFR.. now you will have the RM
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/10/15 02:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
Ooh, I like Aurora, but I wouldn't put it as one word, unless you use intercaps:

AxiomAurora

Oops. That's what I meant.
Posted By: DrStrangeQuark Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/10/15 02:57 PM

How about:

AxiomSpirit

As in "The Spirit of Radio" - also uniquely Canadian!

Additionally connotes the disembodied transmission of music:

"Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antennae bristle with the energy
Emotional feedback on timeless wavelength
Bearing a gift beyond price, almost free"
-- Peart/Rush
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/10/15 03:17 PM
JP, seated in an oversized chair in a office cluttered with Simpsons memorabilia, just asked his patient to shut up for a moment. He put down his scribble pad, closed his eyes, and felt at peace with the world.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/10/15 03:51 PM
I can't remember who has won these naming contests in the past, but has any of them been American? Just askin.'

The Loner, Rebel, Iconoclast (really, Bob?), Freedom, Solo, Unplugged (MTV lawsuit?), Flyer, The Fly, Maverick, Konectless (isn't Hartford in Konectless?), WFO (Wires, f-off!), The UFO, Unencumbered (again, really, Bob?), The Floater, The Harrier, Hummingbird, The Drone...

If you are thinking of ever having a wireless sub to go with these, they could be Movers and the sub would obviously be named The

I know almost all of these suck, but I was trying to use words that convey the freedom of a winged insect or a bird. How about a local (to Dwight) songbird? It lands wherever it chooses, unrestricted, and then sings. Where it lights has no affect on the beauty of its song. Well, not that syrupy, either.

As already suggested, an alpha/numeric designation can be used. I'd add some, but I'm already spent from thinking.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/10/15 04:28 PM
Originally Posted By: BobKay
I'm already spent from thinking.

You had to think to compose that mundane post? My Bobby is getting really old, really fast.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/10/15 05:50 PM
pA
As in portable audio with an emphasis on the Audio
Posted By: BobKay Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/10/15 06:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Da_Gimp_Pimp
I'm already spent from thinking.

You had to think to compose that mundane post? My Bobby is getting really old, really fast.

I gotta save something for the Hand Grenades and F-Bombs thread. However, your aging assessment is quite correct, Camerade. It's a bitch!
Posted By: BobKay Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/10/15 06:53 PM
Originally Posted By: brwsaw
pA
As in portable audio with an emphasis on the Audio

That's a good one. Also a twist on PA system (public address).
I can't remember who has won these naming contests in the past, but has any of them been American? Just askin.'

The Loner, Rebel, Iconoclast (really, Bob?), Freedom, Solo, Unplugged (MTV lawsuit?), Flyer, The Fly, Maverick, Konectless (isn't Hartford in Konectless?), WFO (Wires, f-off!), The UFO, Unencumbered (again, really, Bob?), The Floater, The Harrier, Hummingbird, The Drone...

If you are thinking of ever having a wireless sub to go with these, they could be Movers and the sub would obviously be named The

I know almost all of these suck, but I was trying to use words that convey the freedom of a winged insect or a bird. How about a local (to Dwight) songbird? It lands wherever it chooses, unrestricted, and then sings. Where it lights has no affect on the beauty of its song. Well, not that syrupy, either.

As already suggested, an alpha/numeric designation can be used. I'd add some, but I'm already spent from thinking.

You did it Bob , the Axiom SongBird grin
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/11/15 04:46 AM
Axiom Whip
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/11/15 11:28 AM
[stewie]Whip or Hwip? [/stewie]
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/11/15 01:55 PM
The Floater
Really? You're circling the drain with that one, Bob.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/11/15 02:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Socketman

You did it Bob , the Axiom SongBird grin

I was scrolling the whole page from the bottom up. I saw "You did it, Bob..." before I saw that it is was you, Richard! Ha!
Thanks for the vote of support. Ian should make some of these contests open only to Canadians, just to generate fodder for the rest of us. Sour grapes posts can be soooooo funny.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/11/15 02:24 PM
I was thinking of bbigwyres, so how about "Nno Wyres?"

edit: a new low---Freebyrd (the "y" is a hommage to Lynyrd Skynyrd, one of the all-time great, ummmm, not Canadian bands.
Posted By: AAAA Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/11/15 03:52 PM
Songbird is already an app name for streaming players.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/11/15 04:06 PM
Axiom Aura, AxiomAura.

Bob, stop trying to subliminally make Ian chose an American winner. Isn't it enough you guys won't let Stanley come home? cry
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/11/15 04:59 PM
Re. Plain, simple and it sets up the name for the products to follow.
Ian, the wait is killing me.
Posted By: MMM Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/11/15 04:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
Axiom Aura, AxiomAura.

Bob, stop trying to subliminally make Ian chose an American winner. Isn't it enough you guys won't let Stanley come home? cry

And I thought that was just because the Leaf's simply suck!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/11/15 05:05 PM
Oooh! Axiom|moixA
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/11/15 05:25 PM
Wireless? Howzabout the:
Axiom Freedom,
Axiom Untethered,
Axiom Breeze,
Axiom Flex (for flexibility in placement),
Axiom Element (as in the Element of Air),
Axiom O²
Axiom BobK (Full of hot air)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/11/15 05:57 PM
Why do those all sound like car names?
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/11/15 07:01 PM
It. Internal technology?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/11/15 07:10 PM
Quote:
Why do those all sound like car names?

Because you drive a Flex. Honestly, I hadn't caught the Element link.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/11/15 08:02 PM
There was a Breeze as well. A Plymouth POS, I believe.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/11/15 10:01 PM
You are correct, sir.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/11/15 11:46 PM
Does this mean I shouldn't suggest the Axiom Accord or the Axiom Hummer H2? smile
Posted By: real80sman Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/12/15 12:26 AM
If you look at the other platforms in Axiom's stable, they definitely hint at their intended purpose. Audiobyte (computer), Algonquin (outdoor), Epicentre (earthquake), etc.

They have the regular M2, and the new M2 Audiobyte. The M3, and the new M3 Audiobyte, and so on.

How about the Axiom "bridge" line? The M2 Bridge, M3 Bridge, etc.

Would that convey "wireless" adequately?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/12/15 02:43 AM
Originally Posted By: real80sman
Would that convey "wireless" adequately

How do I put this lightly, dude.....

Ummmmmmmmmmmm nope.

grin laugh smile grin laugh smile
Axiom Air Link or Axiom Link Air
Posted By: 1sweetspot Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/12/15 04:48 AM
Axiom Stream
Axiom W2 (W = wireless)
Posted By: bridgman Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/12/15 06:34 AM
How about something lifted from data/computer networking ?

Axiom Cluster... Hub... Channel... there's probably some play on Hotspot that I haven't figured out yet...

Hey, weren't we supposed to just vote, not do the free association thing ?
Posted By: AAAA Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/12/15 08:40 AM
Sonos already uses bridge.
Posted By: JBG Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/12/15 09:40 AM

Axiom broadcast series
Posted By: MMM Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/12/15 10:32 AM
you could do the Axiom RS series for Remote Speaker
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/12/15 12:20 PM
Axiom CV
Axiom Forum
Posted By: BobKay Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/12/15 04:55 PM
Songbird is already an app name for streaming players.

"Simpsons did it. Simpsons did it." Jeesh
Posted By: BobKay Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/12/15 05:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
Axiom Aura, AxiomAura.

That's not fair, Adrian. I wasn't being subliminal.
(Nice to see you around.)

And if you really want Stanley to stay home, do with hockey what Mexico did with foreigners pumping out their oil---PEMEX---nationalize it. Start a national movement, "Hockey for Canadians," or "Bring Hockey Home."

When that succeeds, let us know, because there are a bunch of American soccer teams who could use your help.
Posted By: Jeff_in_the_D Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/12/15 10:53 PM
Axiom Aria, for no better reason than I like the way it sounds.
/Jeff
Posted By: bridgman Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/13/15 04:56 AM
Originally Posted By: JBG
Axiom broadcast series

Nice - covers both the wireless aspect and a "professional" / "studio monitor" vibe...
Posted By: bridgman Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/13/15 10:53 AM
I could even live with AxiomBroadcast....
Posted By: jmone Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/14/15 03:07 AM
I guess this blog post gives an insight into what the wireless speakers will be like (sans the wireless bit of course)

http://www.axiomaudio.com/blog/new-computer-speakers/
Posted By: CV Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/14/15 04:45 AM
Originally Posted By: bridgman
I could even live with AxiomBroadcast....

What about just Axiom Cast? That way I can pretend it's magic.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/14/15 12:48 PM
Originally Posted By: jmone
I guess this blog post gives an insight into what the wireless speakers will be like (sans the wireless bit of course)

I REALLY like those. If they had a HF and LF trim switch I would be all over them at the pre-order price.
Posted By: CV Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/14/15 07:53 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1

I REALLY like those. If they had a HF and LF trim switch I would be all over them at the pre-order price.

I finally read the post about them. They do sound like a significant improvement over the previous iterations, and those are great preorder prices. I have no spending money to speak of right now, and when I do have some, I want to continue pumping it into my main system, but I would love to hear what they can do at a desk computer someday.
Posted By: jmone Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/14/15 10:01 PM
I have the AudioBytes and I think these new speakers would be far better. I "almost" traded up my AudioBytes but being in Aust as after playing around with the calculator;
- I'm not sure the cost of posting the AudioBytes back makes economic sence
- adding them to your cart everything changes to USD (at the wrong exchange rate). I'm not sure the trade up prog is designed for non US use

I run a ODAC anyway so would use this, but Q's regarding the inbuilt DAC:
- Is it an In-House design or XYZ brand?
- The specs on the DAC say max "16bit/48kHz" so no 24/96, but I "presume" it also does 16/44.1.

Thanks
Nathan
Posted in this thread as there is no What's New at Axiom Forum Thread to post in (yet).
Posted By: AAAA Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/15/15 11:53 AM
I really want to preorder these. Why are there no RCA inputs? Why is the onboard DAC limited to 16/48? Does this mean they are a bottleneck for high res audio? Please tell me I'm wrong on this.

My building pal is a computer audio nut and his desktop speakers could use an upgrade. These would make a perfect gift, but he already uses an audioengine DAC.

Edit: it seems there is a connector for minijack analog. These should work fine. Yes!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/15/15 08:56 PM
The presale is a really outstanding value - M3's cheaper than regular price, but including all the electronics. I don't need them, but still want to buy them!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/16/15 01:23 PM
Axiom Wireless gets my vote.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/16/15 06:10 PM
Axiom WiHiFi laugh
Posted By: Hansang Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/17/15 03:41 AM
How about Axiom InMotion. Maybe Axiom inMotion

Feels like emotion, but it represents digital bits that are in motion. Or the freedom of motion.

hsb
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/17/15 04:49 AM
I like it...Emotion or E-motion
E=Ax2
Emotion equals Axiom paired
Posted By: MMM Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/17/15 11:24 AM
Posted By: BobKay Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/17/15 05:59 PM
Matt, I don't think that will fit on the grilles.
Posted By: Newf Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/17/15 06:01 PM
Air is overused but from the poll choices it's the only one I like. Aura would be another. I tend to agree it's too Apple'ish and I hate Apple.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/17/15 06:03 PM
I've recommended the word Aria for pretty much every naming contest. I like it here, too.

I'm stubborn and stuff.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/17/15 07:44 PM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I've recommended the word Aria for pretty much every naming contest. I like it here, too.

I'm stubborn and stuff.

That word make me instantly think, "husband killer." Which, I suppose, in a way, does make one "free" to flit about, wirelessly, for a while.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/17/15 07:46 PM
Originally Posted By: newf
Air is overused but from the poll choices it's the only one I like. Aura would be another. I tend to agree it's too Apple'ish and I hate Apple.

I'm writing this as "Serenity-Now" (Trevor):

"That's already a trademarked line of paint."
Posted By: Jeff_in_the_D Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/17/15 07:59 PM
Okay Mark that makes two votes for Axiom Aria, sounds like a quorum to me!
Voting is officially closed ! Axiom Aria wins hands down!
Jeff
Posted By: AAAA Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/17/15 08:05 PM
Maybe there can be a crossover promotion with the paint company. Pretty fancy for a jobsite radio perhaps. wink
Posted By: Newf Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/18/15 01:17 PM
some more silly ones.

Axiom Breeze - because setup is a breeze haha
Axiom EZ - setup is easy for lazy people who don't want to run cables smile
Axiom Freedom or Axiom Free - Free yourself from wires

or wait for it....

Axiom Wireless - sometimes simple is the most effective to getting your message across to your customer.

Axiom's biggest hurdle is brand recognition and new customers understanding each model quickly. You might get away with Axiom Air simply because of Apple's use of Air, as people sorta understand that AIR means wireless - just be careful Apple doesn't sue you because they are a bunch of low level scum pricks. But as for the rest of the names in the first post, the average brainless consumer isn't going to know what the heck they are.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/18/15 04:37 PM
I've recommended the word Aria for pretty much every naming contest.

I think the name Aria is rather stark...
Posted By: Newf Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/18/15 04:49 PM
aeras is the greek word for Air.

I believe Axiom originates from greek as well.

So Axiom Aeras
or
Axiom Aeolus (greek god of Air/wind etc)

that's my final answer.
Posted By: AAAA Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/18/15 08:50 PM
I think Axioms biggest hurdle will be convincing people to consider Axiom when the market is flooded with affordable lifestyle systems that integrate with other established product lines. Must be some meat left on the bone if Axiom is jumping in. Future of lifestyle Audio I guess.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/18/15 08:50 PM

I don't see many movies, Peter, so I don't know who that is!

Howzabout the Axiom Areola?
Posted By: a401classic Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/19/15 09:43 AM

I don't see many movies, Peter, so I don't know who that is!

Howzabout the Axiom Areola Aireola ?

There, fixed ya wink
Posted By: AAAA Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/19/15 10:18 PM
Sorry if I missed it, but what is the ETA of the first run of the computer speakers? I'm excited to finally hear an axiom product (even though it isnt ending up in my house.)

Ian or Andrew, is it fair to say the computer speakers will have a similar sound flavour to their bookshelf counterparts, or are the tailored to a response on top of a desk near a wall? Want to give them the best scenario for a critical listen.
Posted By: Ian Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/20/15 03:33 AM
We are going to have them ready for May.
Posted By: AAAA Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/20/15 08:42 AM
Thanks Ian!
Posted By: medic8r Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/20/15 04:55 PM
Originally Posted By: a401classic

There, fixed ya wink

Thank goodness! Maybe now he'll stop humping Joyce's leg.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/20/15 08:28 PM
Originally Posted By: medic8r
Originally Posted By: a401classic

There, fixed ya wink

Thank goodness! Maybe now he'll stop humping Joyce's leg.

I don't understand any of this.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/22/15 03:27 AM
How about the Axiom Binary Series M1001
Posted By: a401classic Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/22/15 06:47 AM
Aura is already taken by Harman Kardon - It's their bluetooth/Airplay speaker.
Posted By: Andrew Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/23/15 06:25 PM
I run a ODAC anyway so would use this, but Q's regarding the inbuilt DAC:
- Is it an In-House design or XYZ brand?
- The specs on the DAC say max "16bit/48kHz" so no 24/96, but I "presume" it also does 16/44.1.

Thanks
Nathan
Posted in this thread as there is no What's New at Axiom Forum Thread to post in (yet).

Hi Nathan,

The DAC is a completely in-house design using excellent quality parts from BB/TI.
You are correct that the DAC will handle anything from 16bit/32kHz up to 16bit/48kHz, including CD standard 16bit/44.1kHz.

Thanks for your interest!

Andrew
Posted By: Andrew Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/23/15 06:49 PM
I really want to preorder these. Why are there no RCA inputs? Why is the onboard DAC limited to 16/48? Does this mean they are a bottleneck for high res audio? Please tell me I'm wrong on this.

My building pal is a computer audio nut and his desktop speakers could use an upgrade. These would make a perfect gift, but he already uses an audioengine DAC.

Edit: it seems there is a connector for minijack analog. These should work fine. Yes!

Hi,

As you have discovered, there is an analog input via a stereo 3/5mm (1/8") jack. We chose this for the analog input because it is the most likely type of connector for the bulk of units that would be used with these speakers, including computers, tablets, and smartphones. For devices with RCA outs a simple adapter cable should be easy to obtain. If your friend already has a good DAC, he can happily use it plugged into the analog inputs.
Now, your questions regarding the DAC that is inside the Axiom Computer Speakers are tricky to answer. You are correct that the USB interface+DAC will not natively decode so called high res audio files, i.e. those in 24bit format ranging from 48kHz to 192kHz. Most playback software will down sample these files to 16bit/48kHz which our DAC WILL play. The only thing happening is that they will not be playing back "bit-perfect". For many, with collections of ripped CDs and downloaded MP3 and MP4 files, this will be of little concern. Why did we not include a DAC that can play these files bit-perfectly? Well, the DAC itself is capable of 32bit/384kHz playback, only the USB interface is limited to 16bit/48kHz. We chose this USB 1.1 compliant chip because of its wide availability, its direct I2S output to the DAC, and the fact that USB 1.1 audio devices do not require any custom drivers for Windows, Mac OSX, or Linux. Simply plug-and-play. For 24bit files over USB a USB 2.0 compliant audio device is required, and this requires custom drivers for Windows machines...a never ending merry go round of driver updates as Windows updates the OS. It is also added complexity for the end user, certainly a concern for some. Finally, and this is a biggie for small companies such as Axiom, is the limited selection of USB 2.0 audio interface ICs and the required licensing fees to obtain and use these parts. Most of the manufacturers offering these parts make it impossible, or at least prohibitively expensive, for low-volume producers (<10k) to even consider them.

I hope that sheds some light on why we have decided on the DAC platform used in the new Axiom Computer Speakers.

Thanks,

Andrew
Posted By: MMM Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/23/15 09:32 PM
My take on the Axiom computer speaker and lack of high res audio.

1. For the price that you are paying, getting 16/48 is great. I still am on the fence for 24/196 and if with blind sound testing, you will be able to hear a difference.
2. Take a look at the reference DAC market. There are some DAC's out there that cost upwards of $2000+ for just a DAC. If you are thinking that you want that 24/196 sound, then you are also going to be concerned about RF, jitter, aperture error, noise, not to mention power shielding between the digital/Analog amplifiers so that errors in sound are not induced. I am sure that to get the best sound out of for 24/192 you would be dealing with a much higher end DAC amp combination that is being offered here.
3. It's for a computer to give you better sound. It's not like they are offering this with the M60-M100 speaker line-up.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/24/15 05:06 AM
16bit/48kHz is all anyone needs. Anything more than 16 bits is a waste. And anything more than 48KHz could lead to intermodulation distortion within the audible frequency band.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/24/15 10:51 AM
But that old guy whose hearing has been ruined by playing 50 years of concerts at extreme volumes said 24/96 has a soul!
Posted By: fredk Re: Naming the Axiom Wireless Speaker - 03/28/15 10:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
But that old guy whose hearing has been ruined by playing 50 years of concerts at extreme volumes said 24/96 has a soul!

As in: "I cant hear a soul." ?
© Axiom Message Boards