Axiom Home Page
Posted By: membrane22 AxiomAir N3 with open bar subwoofer - 08/29/21 09:58 PM
Is it possible?
Posted By: Mojo Re: AxiomAir N3 with open bar subwoofer - 08/29/21 10:12 PM
The Kickstarter version of the N3 had a sub out. The new N3 does not. AFAIK, there is no way to sync a wireless sub with the N3.

I had the Kickstarter version and tried it with a sub. Yeah it had a bigger bottom end with the sub but you couldn't cross the Air to the sub.

I have the latest N3. You don't need a sub. I also have the N2 and enjoy that too without a sub. All this coming from a guy who runs 7 sealed Axiom subs in his room.
Posted By: membrane22 Re: AxiomAir N3 with open bar subwoofer - 08/29/21 10:53 PM
Hello Mojo, do you know if the Kickstarter version with the sub out can be used with a passive sub?

Thanks in advance
Posted By: Mojo Re: AxiomAir N3 with open bar subwoofer - 08/29/21 11:12 PM
No. It was low level out. A few Volts and milliAmps.
Posted By: rrlev Re: AxiomAir N3 with open bar subwoofer - 08/30/21 12:28 AM
Can it be done Technically, yes. I do not think you can currently do it (without rigging up stuff). (Ahhh, if I understand the question correctly)

It would be nice if you could cross various systems and wireless speakers/subs. Think this might make sense especially when combined with a transformer … I.e. axiom should consider it.

P.S. I have an N3 with a sub out. I bought it as a refurb (I like to think I got Mojo’s return). It was a bit too boomy indoors for my tastes (Mojo tells me they fixed it since …) outdoor on the deck it’s much better and now it’s used there or on the patio. Originally I was hoping that it would cross to the sub when a sub was plugged in but the jack was just an output … I.e. didn’t help the boom just augmented it wink
Posted By: Mojo Re: AxiomAir N3 with open bar subwoofer - 08/30/21 12:54 AM
I'll never buy a wireless sub until I have guaranteed and constant latency that I can compensate for. 1 msec latency on a 30Hz signal is 11 degrees. That's the difference between an emotionally wrenching THWACK! and a pansy-ass phhhhpt.
Posted By: Mojo Re: AxiomAir N3 with open bar subwoofer - 08/30/21 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by rrlev
P.S. I have an N3 with a sub out. I bought it as a refurb (I like to think I got Mojo’s return).

The return label I got from Deb was for some place in MA. If both woofers sound like kazoos when playing the Petra Magoni and Ferruccio Spaghettini tune below at full volume, that was mine.

https://open.spotify.com/track/4feU...amp;utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1
Posted By: Mojo Re: AxiomAir N3 with open bar subwoofer - 08/30/21 01:14 AM
It was a bit too boomy indoors for my tastes (Mojo tells me they fixed it since …) outdoor on the deck it’s much better and now it’s used there or on the patio.

Ian had the team tune it for plumpy bass when placed mid-room. So when it was placed in a corner, all 20 pounds of it skipped across the room like Angus Young on bennies. It now sounds great like the N2.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: AxiomAir N3 with open bar subwoofer - 08/30/21 03:01 AM
Do the batteries remove from it so you can charge the battery in a different location? Or is it on board charging within the unit itself only?
Posted By: Mojo Re: AxiomAir N3 with open bar subwoofer - 08/30/21 03:14 AM
On board charging only.

I get 19 hours on the N2 at 40% volume and 8.5 hours on the N3. 40% volume is plenty. You can get a twin battery for the N3 to take you up to 17 hours.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: AxiomAir N3 with open bar subwoofer - 08/30/21 03:23 AM
Oh wow. That’s exceptional battery time.

N2 is 2 tweeters and single 5.25 woofer…

N3 is 2 tweeters and single 6.5 woofer…
( I like the twin battery idea….)

What?! No HP option!!! ( ha ha. ).

Which one do you prefer?
Posted By: Mojo Re: AxiomAir N3 with open bar subwoofer - 08/30/21 03:42 AM
N3 is dual 6.5" woofers.

The N2 sounds more like an M2 and the N3 like an M3. I really do like the sound of both. The N3 sounds beefier but I think the N2 may be more linear. Given the compactness, improved battery time and lighter weight of the N2, I think it's more practical.

The Air Fury will have an 8" woofer, dual 5.25" midranges and dual tweeters with 200W a side and fully active. You'll also be able to use it for doing squats.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: AxiomAir N3 with open bar subwoofer - 08/30/21 04:08 AM
Oh sweet , dual 6.5?! Nice!!

The n2 certainly is more practical for moving around or travelling with. But dual 6.5 must have some good punch over a single 5.25 of the n2.

I think if I weren’t considering travelling with it and it was going to stay out in a location with minor movements from indoors out to deck etc the n3 is the one.

I guess the OP would need to add a small amplifier in front the passive sub to get what he wants. There’s lots of inexpensive reasonable quality and small form class d amps out there that would probably work.
Posted By: Mojo Re: AxiomAir N3 with open bar subwoofer - 08/30/21 04:42 AM
The woofer on the N2 is 6.5". I should have corrected you the first time.

For partying, the N3 is the way to go. How party-hardy is it? My deck is 70 feet from my neighbor's house. The first time I cranked it, she called me to turn it down because it sounded like chimps were pounding on her roof.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: AxiomAir N3 with open bar subwoofer - 08/30/21 06:55 AM
No worries. I should’ve just read about the product more carefully on the website.

Ya the n2 I just assumed was a 5.25 based on m2.

The n2 would fit the bill for portability which is what I’m into for this type of product.

My backyard deck has outdoor in ceiling speakers. Haven’t hooked them up yet. So I can party with those. Or just open the patios doors and let m60s do the job. I’ve got in ceiling speakers in kitchen too.

Too bad the subwoofer rca out didn’t carry over into the current versions of AIR. I think that would be sweet.
Posted By: Mojo Re: AxiomAir N3 with open bar subwoofer - 08/30/21 02:31 PM
The sub out was a great idea but the lack of crossover wasn't a good thing. An 80Hz fixed crossover would have been good. I can understand though how this increases cost and may even reduce battery backup time. I think Axiom made the right decision getting rid of it because it sounds full enough now without being bloated. Besides, the majority of users are likely using it as a portable device.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: AxiomAir N3 with open bar subwoofer - 08/30/21 04:25 PM
Ya true. It’s more about portability and ease of use. It would be sweet though , especially with some of the micro subs out there these days.

I could see having an n3 in a garage or shop with a sub and have it all plugged in and running on AC and batteries charged, daily use. Then grab the n3 and and go away with it for the weekend without the sub. Etc. You could have tunes playing on the main system via transformer and then go into garage to work on something and same tunes are playing there too via the network. Kinda sweet.
Posted By: Mojo Re: AxiomAir N3 with open bar subwoofer - 08/31/21 12:21 AM
You won't need a sub with The Fury.
Posted By: Kodiak Re: AxiomAir N3 with open bar subwoofer - 08/31/21 12:23 AM
Just a 500 pound rated hand truck to wheel it around!

Unleash the Fury!!
Posted By: Mojo Re: AxiomAir N3 with open bar subwoofer - 08/31/21 01:00 AM
Optional wheels and telescopic handle.
© Axiom Message Boards