Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ken.C New Piano! - 07/23/06 04:07 PM
Well, I can't imagine many people are interested, but I'm so excited I just have to tell people.

Just got my new piano yesterday, a Kawai CA5 digital piano, in satin rosewood finish (ie, dark woodlike-vinyl). It has wood keys, which feel wonderful and very heavy. It has a good sound, and all sorts of neat adjustments--8 different pianos! I haven't played seriously, or even at all really, for about 10 or 15 years, and I played on this one for about 3 hours yesterday, before my wife told me I'd been playing for 3 hours and should probably take a break.

In short, I'm pretty darn happy.

Oh yeah, and it's freakin' enormous, and weighs 150 lbs. I think my wife would like to include that qualification.
Posted By: Ajax Re: New Piano! - 07/23/06 05:14 PM
I'm interested..............and excited and happy for you. Making your own music is a joy. Will you be playing duets with Adam?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New Piano! - 07/23/06 05:39 PM
I am so far below Adam's skill level, it's not even funny.
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: New Piano! - 07/23/06 07:43 PM
Congrats, Ken!

From the descriptions and all, I get the feeling that I may envy your purchase after trying it out. We shall see.
Posted By: Ajax Re: New Piano! - 07/24/06 12:46 AM
Quote:

I am so far below Adam's skill level, it's not even funny.

Well then, will Adam be giving you lessons?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New Piano! - 07/24/06 02:00 AM
That ...remains to be seen. Actually hadn't crossed my mind. I need to make myself finish the last of this chapter of my CCNA book, then I can play today. Which means I shouldn't even be on this computer.
Posted By: JohnK Re: New Piano! - 07/24/06 02:10 AM
Ken, congratulations, that looks terrific! As far as your skill level goes, I bet with a little more practice that you'll be able to knock off the Albeniz Iberia with no sweat.
Posted By: JohnK Re: New Piano! - 07/24/06 02:15 AM
Jack, staying with the piano theme, today I gave Marshall's Gershwin collection as a gift(Tower had it back in stock)and I wondered if your order from Crotchet went well and what your impressions were.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Piano! - 07/24/06 02:23 AM
Congrats Ken! Now I won't have to hear about your trips to the paino shops any more!
Posted By: rcvecc Re: New Piano! - 07/24/06 03:00 AM
pmbuko,did he visit the shops often and drool over the pianos like in waynes world with the strat?
have fun with it ken-how does the keyboard feel and respond to sensitivity-looks nice
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: New Piano! - 07/24/06 03:23 AM
Heh. Easy there John. Let him warm up with Ravel's Gaspard de la Nuit or a few Liszt Transcendental Etudes first. Maybe Rachmaninoff's 3rd as a quickie.
Posted By: JohnK Re: New Piano! - 07/24/06 03:32 AM
Yeah Adam, with that action the Rach 3rd should be a breeze.
Posted By: BrenR Re: New Piano! - 07/24/06 03:58 AM
So Ken, that makes you, what... about a 75" pianist?

Bren R.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New Piano! - 07/24/06 04:02 AM

Posted By: Ajax Re: New Piano! - 07/24/06 06:14 AM

Quote:

Jack, staying with the piano theme, today I gave Marshall's Gershwin collection as a gift(Tower had it back in stock)and I wondered if your order from Crotchet went well and what your impressions were.

Man my memory is getting bad. Yes, I got it and have listened to it a number of time. I'm particularly fond of the the variations on I Got Rhythm.

I also picked up this DTS/DVD-A Mozart Classics disc which I really love. I know it's one of those "greatest hits" type of things for the uneducated, but I really enjoy the light, gentle stuff on this disc. I'm considering picking up one or more of the other discs in the series (see the "related products links on the right side of the page).
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: New Piano! - 07/27/06 10:39 PM
Well, I got a chance to check out Ken's new toy last night (with dinner thrown in for free!). I approve.

I question Kawai's choice for the default piano sound, as I was unimpressed at first, but there are several different piano sounds, and a couple of them in particular are really good - with multiple samples per note and harmonics to add to the realism. The action is the real star, though. Probably the closest to a good acoustic grand piano action I've ever played on. The touch just felt natural. There are a couple instances where the limits came into play (repeating the same note very quickly for one), but all in all I was quite impressed. There are a few little quirks (mostly sound related - may be the speakers, actually), but the more I played the more I liked. Ken did good.

I still like my digital, but for some reason it feels... dated now.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New Piano! - 07/27/06 11:10 PM
Thanks for coming over, Adam, and for approving of my purchase!

BTW, everyone, Adam is a damn good pianist.

I agree with you on the sound quirks; I wouldn't doubt the speakers being the issue for a second. The woofers are actually in plastic boxes hanging under the keyboard, with the tweeters behind the plastic on the console, so it's not exactly the ideal arrangement.

And before anyone asks, no, I'm not going to replace them with Axiom drivers.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: New Piano! - 07/28/06 01:03 AM
So are you going to replace them with...oh...nevermind.
© Axiom Message Boards