Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SirQuack Looking for outdoor OTA HDTV antenna ideas? - 08/16/06 02:17 AM
I currently have been using a Terk TV55 antenna over the last few years. I really need something else, this thing can't hold a signal. According to antennaweb I would be in the "red" range. All my towers are about 25 miles due North from my place. The TV55 is not designed for that distance. I see Terk has a HDTVo outdoor antenna that is within my range and has a few good reviews on Amazon.

I am just finding it hard to find a good outdoor antenna with good reviews. This would need to be mounted on the side of my house. Any ideas on other brands that have great reviews and have an attractive appearance?
Have you considered attic mounting an antenna?
I have considered this, however, some of what I've read says for best reception an outdoor scenario will work better. There is a company based out of Iowa, called Winegard that is big in the antenna industry. They make a model called the Squareshooter which appears to be very popular, with upto 40+ miles using the unamplified model, hmmmmm....

Sure, Randy, Winegard along with Channel Master are well-established in the industry. That Squareshooter is very stylish if that's critical, but that 4.5dB gain figure is a bit low. Consider how the various possibilities test out and something like the Winegard 4400 at a fourth of the price seems more promising.
I have the Channel Master 4228 attached to my chimney with great results. Towers are 35+ miles away.
Quote:

I have the Channel Master 4228 attached to my chimney

doesn't it chafe badly?
Peter, Randy is catching up with you in post count.

Randy, do you have some stupid HOA like I do? I'm not sure if they CAN unreasonably restrict your ability to put up an aerial antenna if you choose to do so. You will certainly get more gain and probably a lower price for a traditional antenna. You might check out the FCC OTARD page (which is just fun to say, if nothing else).
Quote:

Quote:

doesn't it chafe badly?

Rimshot
I do live in a development and we do have a HOA, however, we are like 3-4 miles from my city and out in the county. I should have no problems replacing my current TERK TV55(crap) with something else. I just wanted to find something that had a nice appearance and good performance. The TV55 works off/on most of the time, however, with my HTPC MediaPortal software, if the signal gets weak, it locks up MediaPortal.
Quote:

Quote:

doesn't it chafe badly?

No, but it sure tunes in the right signals!
© Axiom Message Boards