Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Craig_P Laptop / USB sound - 10/14/06 01:41 AM
Hey all.
Looking for some advice/recommendations. I've just bought a new notebook computer, and I'm looking for a USB soundcard/dock that will allow me to bypass the headphone out for exporting sound to a stereo. I just would like a basic device, offering stereo analog outs and a digital out. Searching for such a device seems to bring up a lot of pro gear that is way too much for my needs. Anyone have any personal recommendations?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Laptop / USB sound - 10/14/06 03:50 AM
Craig, for several years I've used a Xitel HiFi Link to feed the digital output from the USB output of my laptop to analog stereo inputs of one of my receivers. I usually use this to listen to streaming classical music from stations all over the world. It's a bit pricey($40-$50)for what it is(besides the cables, just a simple DAC), but it does the job. Another unit, which I don't have personal experience with, is available from Turtle Beach .
Posted By: Craig_P Re: Laptop / USB sound - 10/30/06 04:38 AM
Thanks for the advice.

As an update, I kinda got carried away. I had been thinking of eventually getting a new stereo for my bedroom/laptop/secondary listening space, and kinda building a stereo only set-up from there. So I just went and splurged on an Outlaw Audio 2150 stereo receiver. It's got a USB input.
Whoops. No more presents until Christmas I guess.
Posted By: muttsinparadise Re: Laptop / USB sound - 10/30/06 05:01 AM
Craig, can you use an ordinary USB cable, or are you supposed to use one with better shielding, as with coax cable?
Posted By: BrenR Re: Laptop / USB sound - 10/30/06 05:40 AM
Mark - a "regular" USB cable is fine... unless you happen to live beside an atom smasher or something.

Bren R.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Laptop / USB sound - 10/30/06 06:08 AM
Yeah Mark, "ordinary" USB cable, such as the one in my connection, has aluminum foil plus copper braid shielding similar to that used in coaxial cable. As Bren mentioned, nothing more is needed in ordinary circumstances. However if the situation he described fits you, Monster Cable and other similar outfits sell suitable cabling for only about $1,000/ft.
Posted By: muttsinparadise Re: Laptop / USB sound - 10/30/06 06:57 AM
Thanks guys. It's kinda funny - the USB cable is likely to be most utilized connection, as I find I spend most of my audio time listening to Internet Radio nowadays.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Laptop / USB sound - 10/30/06 07:13 AM
Yes, the selection of stations in the Islands is a bit limited. If you're not familiar with this site , it's an excellent source of stations all over the world streaming classical music. When I'm at the computer I'm usually listening to one of them. Among my favorites are BBC Radio3 and CPR(Colorado Public Radio, Denver).
Posted By: muttsinparadise Re: Laptop / USB sound - 10/30/06 07:25 AM
Wow, great site, thanks!
© Axiom Message Boards