Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SirQuack tech question IP based - 11/03/06 04:49 AM
I'm familiar with some basic commands: ping, nbtstat, tracert, etc...

I was just curious if there is a way to find out what a persons IP address is on certain forums. I've tried viewing the web source code, nothing there...Basically, there are a few forums, for ex., AVSforum where I think a few people are the same person. I would love to prove that they are...
Posted By: Daphoid Re: tech question IP based - 11/03/06 10:03 AM
All IP information can be logged, and/or viewed. However only if you're the board adminsitrator.

Showing all the IP addresses of users is rather frowned upon because a good amount of damage can be done with an IP address.

Obviously they're not private in anyway, but mentioning them openly a forum leaves you even to crawlers / bots grabbing those IP's and putting them in the hands of the people who can cause harm.

So in short, not really

Hope this helps.

- D
Posted By: skyhawk669 Re: tech question IP based - 11/03/06 01:23 PM
I've had the same issue on several boards and as Daphoid mentioned only the moderator was able to check the ip. There's no real way for you to figure it out unless you had some direct communication with the people you're trying to figure out (like IM or email).
Posted By: Ajax Re: tech question IP based - 11/03/06 01:50 PM
Looking for Chuckie and HelloDeafJeffery (not their actual screen names, but close), Randy? My opinion, is they are not the same guy (although I don't rule that possibility out), but they are buddies, and they seem to have some sort of agenda (knocking Axiom?). Both have described the QS surrounds, in different threads, with the same/similar, slightly unusual, wording - "surrounds with the speakers pointing toward the ceiling and the floor." Not likely, unless they are communicating with each other or are, indeed, one and the same. Regardless, they are weird.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: tech question IP based - 11/03/06 02:33 PM
You hit the nail on the head Jack, those be the 12 yr olds I'm talking about. I just don't get some people. I wish the moderators would put an end to that crap, but it would be hard to police all trolls.
Posted By: INANE Re: tech question IP based - 11/03/06 11:02 PM
I'm not condoning hacking at all, but it seems to me its the modern way kids act out in a poor way. I compare it to how we used to go out with a baseball bat take out mailboxes or drive thru ppls front yards in a car. Definitely not anything standup but kids will be kids. Parents job to teach them right and wrong.
© Axiom Message Boards