Axiom Home Page
Ok, you model gurus out there, I need help. It has been back in the 70's since I was into building car models. My kid is really into the Dukes of Hazzard for some reason, and we have found a cool Revell 69 Dodge Charger R/T he wants to put togethor. The Paint Guide calls for around 16 different colors (if we follow the instructions. Anyway, we will be substituting the Blue Metallic for the Orange to make a Dukes car.

My question, is how do you paint these things? I would think to get the best results you would use aerosal spray cans? Not sure if using a brush would provide a nice end results without streaks? Some of the smaller parts I would think you could use a brush, but the exterior body panels I think would not look as nice if brushed?

Thanks, in advance....
I would use spray for the exterior--much smoother application. For other things use a brush, but not one of the cheap plastic bristle ones. If you can, invest in a couple of nice brushes. Don't have any recommendations--been about 20 years or so since I did a model. If I remember correctly, brushes can get outrageously expensive. I don't know what kind of brush goes best with model paint.
For the body, I used an airbrush. I painted a few layers (2 or 3, I think) and then used the spray gloss coating. Brushed body color just looks horrible. You could try spray paint; I never tried it for the body, since someone gave me an airbrush pretty quickly after I started building models. The Testors airbrush I had was pretty crummy, though.

If you do go the airbrush route, be sure to put the propellant in a bucket of water while you're using it. It'll last longer.
Oh yeah, the same birthday I got the airbrush, I also got a respirator. Not a terrible idea.
If you really wanted to get a smooth finish on the model with spray paint you could wet sand it by hand with some fine grit sandpaper inbetween fully-dried coats.
See, I never had that kind of patience.
For upholstery, and a lot of engine/chassis parts make sure you use a flat paint, it can be easily made by mixing a bit of talcum powder with gloss paint, in fact that gives you a very wide range of colours. Also flat black for fan belts and things like that.

details, details
Long after I was a child and I wanted to do a few Mopar muscle cars, I got a friend to mix the body colour in acrylic enamel... and painted the other parts in water-based acrylics, then gloss or dullcoated them.

The acrylics work very well, dry a LOT faster (for recoats and fine detail) and look a little less "model paint" unrealistic in the end.

Loved going back and doing models as an adult... had all the patience to do the things I didn't as a kid, like painting "Fram" on the oil filter, adding scuffs to the tires for realism, painting the dashboard gauges, etc.

Still want to someday get a model, and build it as a beater, use the soldering iron and styrofoam cutter to add rust holes, etc...

Bren R.
© Axiom Message Boards