Axiom Home Page
Posted By: HomeDad Never before seen images of Saturn - 03/02/07 02:55 AM
Thought I would pass along, cool stuff for astronomy buffs.
NASA
Posted By: Jim_Perkins Re: Never before seen images of Saturn - 03/02/07 03:38 AM
very cool.
i just couldnt help thinking to myself ' there has to be a god'. what beauty
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Never before seen images of Saturn - 03/02/07 07:19 AM
very cool.
i just couldn't help thinking to myself 'wow, science is cool'. beautiful stuff.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Never before seen images of Saturn - 03/02/07 10:49 AM
Yes, great views we could never get from any earth-bound instruments. Much of the beauty and wonder of the universe can be captured from here; observe the Palomar views of the beautiful Rosette Nebula .
Posted By: JohnK Re: Never before seen images of Saturn - 03/03/07 03:59 AM
Thought I'd add one of the most famous photos taken by the orbiting Hubble telescope: continuing Creation(or creation, if you prefer)in gigantic pillars of gas and dust giving birth to new stars.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Never before seen images of Saturn - 03/03/07 05:06 AM
It has been a few years since I dragged out my Dobsonian telescope I made back in college in Astronomy class, but I was able to get some very nice views of Saturn, Jupitor, etc. and their moons, not to mention galaxies...
Posted By: millerbrad Re: Never before seen images of Saturn - 03/03/07 06:05 AM
I figured that I should add to the Saturn pictures.

Enjoy.

Posted By: CV Re: Never before seen images of Saturn - 03/03/07 06:20 AM
I wonder how many abortions those pillars have.
Posted By: Zarak Total Lunar Eclipse - 03/03/07 12:30 PM
I figure anyone is this thread has astronomy interest, so I wanted to make sure everyone knew that there is a total lunar eclipse tonight. I'm just hoping the rain and clouds stay away. The moon will be in totality when it rises in the east. The further east you are the better for this one. Those on the west coast get their chance in late August with another one. Space.com has a couple articles. Here's one to start: Total Eclipse of the Moon
Posted By: PDXGuy Re: Never before seen images of Saturn - 03/03/07 04:51 PM
We shouldn't forget the carbon-based life forms here on earth who produce incredible images of the cosmos. Here is a 15-tile mosaic of the moon, shot by an amateur astronomer who frequents a photography forum I haunt...

The Moon

And here is his web site with many more photos...

Noel Carboni

He's really quite accomplished at this sort of thing.
Posted By: bray Re: Never before seen images of Saturn - 03/03/07 05:25 PM
Thanks for that PDXguy.
That Moon shot is incredible.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Total Lunar Eclipse - 03/03/07 09:42 PM
I've got about an hour to go until moonrise today. Since I'm in Virginia, it should be a good show. I plan on sharing the moment with 3 year-old my son, Steven.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Never before seen images of Saturn - 03/04/07 01:31 AM
Stephen, Noel certainly is accomplished in the deep-space area. Especially impressive to me was his M42/M43 view which is the best-looking amateur work on those nebulas(nebulae)that I've seen.

While I'm at it I'll also include for your viewing pleasure this very attractive Hubble telescope view of NGC 346 .
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Total Lunar Eclipse - 03/04/07 01:40 AM
The weather did not agree. Too many clouds.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Total Lunar Eclipse - 03/04/07 02:02 AM
Well Peter, I suppose that we should say bad show. Anyway, by the time it got dark on the east coast the moon was already in totality, so even with clear weather you would've seen it coming out of eclipse, which subjectively is a less impressive sight than going in, at least in my view. Of course, if you should happen to be in the Bay Area for the next one, you're in business(never gets cloudy there, does it?).
© Axiom Message Boards