Axiom Home Page
Posted By: NADishman So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/08/07 07:08 AM
(Thread title acknowledgement to sirquack ; thanks!)

Listening to Radio Paradise - good indie Internet radio - on M3's upstairs and M60's downstairs, while I cook this fantastically complicated duck 'n beans recipe.

I eat to live, but I love to cook. I have been working on an extended version of the French classic cassoulet, the cooking of which seems to cause more emotions than football .

The recipe I'm starting out with is the classic four day version, but as I am an impatient fellow I'm trying to compress it down to just three days.

Day one

Soak the beans... classic says 24 hours, I say 2 oughta do it;

Replace water, simmer the beans with some extra bits... I combined this step with the ham hocks (which I didn't have, see below);

Season and marinate the duck 24 hours before making the confit... classic says another day, I say I can't wait that long, let's just confit the quacker right now!

Simmer the duck in (lots of) duck fat four hours: check (oops, that was too long; next time let's try two hours).

Brown and simmer salted pork, ham hock, onions, carrot, bouquet garni etc. for an hour... well, OK, forgot to buy the pork and ham, but I do have a couple of lamb shanks; let's try those. But don't have time to do this according to Hoyle, so let's just brown the veggies in some duck fat and then throw them in with the lamb shanks and the beans - add some water, turn on the gas for a couple of hours and see what happens. (Note to self: buy more thyme, you cannot make a decent bouquet garni without it).

End of day one: we have some boiled beans and lamb shank, as well as a nice duck confit, well preserved in a ton of duck fat (oh, yeah, this is key: I did have about 1 litre / quart of duck fat in the freezer which I saved from the duck which I cooked last week. You can never have enough duck fat when you're going to confit a duck. )

Ditch the carrot, onions, etc. from the beans. Remove duck confit to a clean container and cool everything (it helps that it is about 35 below C outside, so even though I've been cooking all night it is a decently cool 10 above C in the pantry).

Let the cat in (again). Bank the fire. Go to bed, reflecting on a job well done.

Day two

Classic says to warm up some pork fat to smoking hot, then brown onions (translating from French, but sometimes I get it wrong). Don't have pork fat, but I do have plenty of duck fat, so...

Classic next step is to brown a couple of ham hocks, which (d'oh) I forgot to buy, but I do have a pound of good organic bacon from Rowe Farms so let's brown that. Brown some onions - oops, out of onions but here we have some shallots, close enough.

Add some "plain homemade pork sausage" (a la nature)... well, I forgot to off the pig this year but I have some lamb sausage with mint in the fridge so let's use that.

Put two diced tomatoes into the saucepan... Yeah, I could do that, but I only have one tomatoe (you say tomato, I say something else). I think I'll use some nice Italian pressed tomatoes from a bottle - way better than winter tomatoes in Toronto.

Add some garlic cloves, bay leaves, more thyme (woo hoo, these I have).

"In an special earthenware cassoulet dish"... well, what do you know, I have to improvise here. I do have a nice iron/ceramic dutch oven, I'll use that.

...layer the meats, sauce and beans with a good dusting of ground pepper over each layer.

Pepper I have. In fact - because I love pepper, I have a selection of peppers and grinders. Let's see, should I use Tellicherry, Red Sechuan, Cubebe, White Vietnamese? The ceramic grinder, the Peugot, the plastic deli-issue twister? I opt for the grocery store "gourmet pepper mix": this dish takes a lot of pepper.

Finish with a dusting of rough black breadcrumbs on the top... OK, I gotta admit, I faked this one. For some reason, I'm out of rough black breadcumbs, so I use the fine white ones. So, sue me.

Place in pre-heated slow (300 F) oven three hours. Break the crust which forms three times - no, six times - no, don't use breadcrumbs and don't break crust - depends on which classic recipe we're using - so I decide to break it four times. I hope the soundstage is wide and the highs are not too bright when we finally get to eat this dish.

So, that's what I'm cooking tonight (since yesterday). I'll let you know whether my tweaks are good (well, they have to be: they're tweaks) on the weekend, when we finally:

Day three

Classic... Serve at the table and break the crust in front of the assembled company.

... and serve the appropriate wine: inexpensive, unheralded, and high-alcohol like a good plebian Minervois. No shortage of these wines in the cellar (hello, wine thread) so we're good to go.
Posted By: real80sman Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/08/07 11:59 AM
Well NADish, I applaud your conviction. I love food, and I enjoy cooking, but I'm far too impatient for a 3 to 4 day recipie.

At work, we were just shipped our first skid of Big Green Eggs yesterday. There will be a demonstrator that the staff can take home on weekends. I can't wait to fire that bad boy up.
Posted By: vassillios Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/08/07 12:49 PM
Im'g going to practice for a chili cook off coming up soon:
Posted By: Wid Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/08/07 12:56 PM
Some of the best chili I have ever had was made with BigJohns chili recipe.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/08/07 06:19 PM
Good lord, Scott. You DO love to cook!

I enjoy dabbling in the kitchen, but am clearly not to your level. I cook well enough to present and enjoy the results on a good day.

I enjoyed your post VERY much! Thank you.

Quote:

You can never have enough duck fat when you're going to confit a duck

Now, what other audio board is going to give you that, I ask you?
Posted By: bridgman Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/09/07 02:49 AM
Wow. I never had the courage to try something like a cassoulet, and I was never quite sure I would like the finished product anyways. Your tweaks look mighty tasty though -- I'm looking forward to the weekend to see how it turns out.

My "cooking" tonight wasn't even real cooking, but it did spread out over a couple of days, so without further ado I give you...

La-Z-Man Muffuletta !!

Day One

Dump the following into a strainer, then into some kind of resealable container(s):

28 ounce jar of Hot Pickled Vegetables
28 ounce jar of Stuffed Green Olives
8-ish ounce jar of Sweet or Sweet/Sour Cocktail Onions
28-ounce jar or 2 14-ounce cans of sliced black olives
If you're into peperoncito (sp?) peppers put a bunch of them in too; I cut the tops off and drain them first.

Chop a few cloves of garlic and add to the olive mix. If any of the pickled vegetables are really big then cut them up and put back.

Mix well, then cover (or at least 1/2 cover) with a mixture of olive oil and vegetable oil. Using more olive oil tastes better, but the vegetable oil lets you take the resulting olive salad out of the fridge and use it without having to wait a few hours for the olive oil to turn back into a liquid. Put in the fridge and come back in a day or 20.

Day Two (three, four, five...)

Take the olive salad out of the fridge and let it warm up enough that the oil is liquid. Cut a loaf of Italian bread, or fresh crusty Kaiser rolls, in half. Pick out a bit of the bread in the middle to make room for the good stuff.

Put a good layer of olive salad, including oil, on both sides of the bread. Yes, that means almost completely covering the bread with olives, onions, peppers. You want the oil to soak into the bread a bit but you don't want the bread to disintegrate.

Add a layer of Hot Genoa Salami, Regular Mortadella and Regular Capicollo to one half of the bread. Add a layer of Provolone cheese to the other half of the bread. Push the meats into the bread gently with the palm of your hand then invert onto the cheese-covered half. Press sandwich together. Hardcore eaters will wrap the sandwich in wax paper and leave it for a while to soak, but I don't do that.

Cut in half (kaiser) or four (Italian loaf) and enjoy. Done properly it is a bit messy, kinda spicy and extremely tasty. It also looks extremely odd when you cut it in half.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/09/07 03:39 AM
Some day I may have the patience for a multi-day recipe, but no time soon.

Tonight, it was easy/lazy leftover enchiladas. Pour some red enchilada sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Cover the bottom of the pan with corn tortillas. Spoon leftover rice and beans over the tortillas. Add shredded cheese and more sauce. Add another layer of tortillas. Add shredded leftover rotisserie chicken. Add more cheese. Add another layer of tortillas and top with more cheese and sauce. Bake at 400 covered in foil for 20 minutes. Bake uncovered an additional 5 to 10 or until top gets a little crispy.

Easy, tasty, and saves you from throwing out food.

While we ate, we had the chicken carcass on the stove in a small pot of water with some herbs to start a stock for soup later in the week. We've since added celery, carrots, onions, more herbs and spices, some cooked chicken chunks, a bit of soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, and broken up uncooked spaghetti. Preliminary tasting leads me to believe it'll be a nice soup by the time we eat it tomorrow or the day after.
Posted By: NADishman Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/09/07 03:56 AM
My brother has an egg. My sister has an egg. That's a nice cooker, and great for turkey.
Posted By: NADishman Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/09/07 04:03 AM
My "level" of accomplishment doesn't always match my enthusiasm, but the adventure is at least half of the enjoyment.

My wife (who is a wonderful cook and hostess) would prefer if I don't test new recipes on unsuspecting guests, but how often am I going to just do a test run on something like cassoulet?
Posted By: Amie Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/09/07 02:22 PM
I proudly uphold my family tradition of always trying new recipes on unsuspecting guests. Then if it doesn't work out, there aren't as many leftovers to deal with! {giggles} Last weekend I tried a recipe for braised fennel, onions and potatoes - deeelish! But so pale - it was one case of having to eat with your nose instead of your eyes.
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/09/07 03:47 PM
Tonight I'll make one of my wife's favorites: Pork chops braised in a Jack Daniels sauce served with mashed 'taters, green beans, and corn bread.

And "amen and Hallelujah" to BigJohn's chili recipe. Making your own chili powder and toasting and grinding whole cumin seeds makes it even better.
Posted By: vassillios Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/09/07 04:21 PM
OK here's the recipe to that I chili i mentioned earlier:

High Def, Stout Chili

1) Rub chuck roast lightly with maple syrup/worstechire mixture. Then rub raost with cumin and beef seasoning (whole foods natural beef seasoning). Sear on both sides in olive oil and place on riser in dutch oven. Pour in 1 16oz bottle of guinness. cover and cook, basting often, until the meat can be shredded with 2 forks.

While meat is cooking:

2) grill red pepper, onion and garlic until tender. Chop to your size preference

3) Combine tomato sauce, fire roasted tomatoes, grilled veggies, kidney beans, black beans, cumin, chili pepper, salt, bay leaf, oregano and ancho pepper in a pot and simmer while meat cooks.

4) after the meat is done and has been shredded, add it to the pot and add broth from meat to taste. add spices to taste.

Sorry but I don't have amounts, I usually wing it each time i make it. I'll be sure to take measurements at the cook off this time.
Posted By: bray Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/09/07 06:39 PM
Tonight its gonna be Misquite Grilled Rib Eyes, Garlic Mashed Potatos, Penne pasta in a Tomato and Goat Cheese Sauce and Steamed Asparagus followed by either Plain Cheesecake or Ice Cream.
Posted By: vassillios Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/09/07 06:42 PM
mmmmmmm

and tomorrow, funny smelling pee
Posted By: HomeDad Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/09/07 10:07 PM
Thanks everyone, you have pretty much shamed me into making better meals for my wife and kids
Posted By: bray Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/09/07 10:14 PM

In resonse to vassillos
HOW TRUE!
I'll wiz 40 times tomorrow.
Posted By: richeydog Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/09/07 10:49 PM
Quote:

In resonse to vassillos
HOW TRUE!
I'll wiz 40 times tomorrow.

40 times? You're gonna wear IT out, man!
Posted By: chesseroo Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/10/07 01:55 AM
Shawn, how much are those big green eggs?
I had a $10 CdnTire charcoal bbq for about 4 years until it was too rusted out to bother using (and we moved). I bought a slightly more expensive one for $40 which is in great shape so far (we only bbq a handful of times a year...don't let me get into the dangers of carcinogenics).
However, if i go looking for a 'lifetime' unit, i would say that green egg looks like a possible winner.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/11/07 02:45 AM
Bigjohn's chilli recipe (first try) it came out incredible followed instructions to a "t" except reduced the red pepper amounts to make sure it was good for the whole fam.
also shepherds pie and strawberry shortcake. everything came out better than i imagined.
Jake
Posted By: real80sman Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/11/07 01:02 PM
Quote:

Shawn, how much are those big green eggs?
I had a $10 CdnTire charcoal bbq for about 4 years until it was too rusted out to bother using (and we moved). I bought a slightly more expensive one for $40 which is in great shape so far (we only bbq a handful of times a year...don't let me get into the dangers of carcinogenics).
However, if i go looking for a 'lifetime' unit, i would say that green egg looks like a possible winner.

Since I'm "outbound", I haven't seen pricing yet. I will say this - they weigh a ton. The lid has dual, heavy duty springs to assist opening, but it still takes a $#it load of effort to open it.
Posted By: michael_d Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/18/07 12:11 AM
Man that duck / bean recipe had me laughing my but off. If I wasn’t so impatient, I’d try that one.

Being in the Halibut capitol of the world (or thereabouts), I’m always trying to come up something different that doesn’t include mayonnaise or some other artery clogging recipe for this white fish. (we usually have a couple hundred pound of a year).

So I think I might have stumbled onto a weird, but pretty darn good sauce the other day. It will go with any sort of firm white fish; cod, ling cod, red fish, snapper, grouper….whatever.

I like to bake my fish first. Nothing fancy, just a little olive oil, salt and pepper and throw it in the oven at 350 for about 7 minutes per side. The trick with white fish is to not overcook it. When you can flake it with a fork, it’s done. If the fillets are pretty thick, cut them down to one inch and let them soak in skim milk for a few hours. The milk gets rid of that ‘fishy’ taste. [skinned fillets, with all the darker areas trimmed off]

For the sauce, I started out with three medium shallots, minced pretty fine. Sautee them in butter (one tablespoon) for about ten minutes until they get soft. Add 8 ounces of clam juice and cook that down for about twenty minutes. Then add a can of light coconut milk and about a half a tablespoon of green curry paste. Then add a couple shoots of fresh thyme and about three ounces of Sambuca. For those non-alcoholic types, you can substitute the sambuca with fennel and sugar.

I just cooked that for about ten minutes or so on low heat and poured a tablespoon or so on the baked fillets over a bed of couscous.

I know, curry and fish sounds weird and the Sambuca probably put you over the top….but I thought it was good and I wasn't even drinking.
Posted By: real80sman Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/18/07 01:58 AM

Chess, here is a picture of the "large" egg. The way it is pictured with the "nest" (legs and castors), and side shelves is $1339.00 CDN.

Here is a picture of the hinge mechanism:

This is the XL Egg, but I don't have pricing yet.

Posted By: real80sman Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/18/07 02:13 AM
Every 5 or 6 months, we have a street dinner party where the neighbours get together with a specific "theme" for the night. We each take turns hosting, and usually there are about 9 to 10 couples. Tonight it was catered with authentic Indian food, and man was it good. I can't tell you what I had, but I'm sure I'll be paying for it tomorrow. We tend to eat and drink too much, but a great time is always had by all.

The next 3 will be Jamaican, Thai, and then Mexican.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 03/19/07 03:23 AM
Today was "easy dinner." I made:

teriyaki pork tenderloin (bought pre-marinated)
rice, cooked in a rice cooker and lightly seasoned with salt, onion powder, ginger, and turmeric
green beans

The green beans were the most complicated part. I blanched them in 1/2" of water with a teaspoon of orange zest until the water was almost gone (and the beans were just stating to get tender). Then I added a tablespoon of butter and the juice of the orange I'd taken some zest from. I let that thicken and caramelize a bit, then removed it from the heat, sprinkled with sesame seeds and tossed to coat.

Very easy and everything was tasty. If I were serving this to company, the only thing I'd change is to marinate the tenderloin myself.
Posted By: bridgman Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 04/01/07 07:47 AM
I bet a lot of board members would enjoy reading this link -- probably the definitive work on pizza crusts.

http://jvpizza.sliceny.com/

Jeff moved from New York to Atlanta (where, apparently, the pizza just was not the same) and spent a lot of years trying to get the same taste at home. Part of the solution involved jimmying the interlocks on his self cleaning oven to allow baking at 850-900 degrees.

If any of you are into home-made pizza I think this should be considered required reading. Enjoy
Posted By: chesseroo Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 04/04/07 03:34 AM
Nice egg.
I love the retro look.
Posted By: framer2180 Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 04/04/07 04:55 AM
That's the "War and Peace" of pizza recipes!!
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 04/04/07 02:25 PM
Fajitas on the grill are on the menu for tonight. Chicken I think, maybe chicken and fish. My wife will make her "famous" guacamole, I hope.
Posted By: bridgman Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 04/29/07 01:59 AM
Another attempt in my long quest to make brown rice taste good without sausage gravy or bacon.

Wierd Brown Rice Pilaf

2 onions chopped
3 celery stalks chopped, plus chopped celery leaves from a few more
4 cloves garlic chopped
2 cups brown rice
3 tbsp jerk seasoning paste
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 can tuna
a few strips chicken bacon (purchased because I liked the radio spots )
1 900ml package chicken broth (the salty tasteless kind, not the good organic stuff)
1/2 cup frozen corn
maybe 1 tsp coriander

Saute onions, celery, chicken bacon in oil for 5 minutes. Add garlic, saute for a few more minutes. Add rice and jerk seasoning, continue to saute for a few more minutes until boredom sets in (a few more minutes).

Add chicken broth, bring to boil then cover and simmer. After about 30 minutes, dump in frozen corn and can of tuna (after feeding a bit to the dogs). Raise heat a bit until boiling, reduce heat again to simmer.

After about 30 more minutes add fish sauce and coriander. Yes it was kinda tasteless before, why do you ask ? Keep simmering, water as needed, until you get a nice creamy texture like wet cement (or, I suppose, a good risotto). Total cooking time was a bit over an hour.

The finished product is surprisingly good. I dumped in a lot of things figuring I would decide afterwards what didn't belong, but I believe I would make it exactly the same way next time.

Goes well with Orange Peel Ale (Great Lakes Brewery). I can't find the beer thread so I guess I'll post here. This beer just showed up in the local LCBO (the provincial government liquor and fancy beer store) so I picked up a couple of 650 ml bottles.

I'll have to organize some A/B testing with friends but first impressions are really good. The label says "a touch of honey, heaps of oranges and peels, and heavy hops to balance the orange) but the result is just very crisp and tasty. There is only the tiniest hint of orange taste.

The beer is $4.99 CDN for a 650 ml bottle and seems worth a try.

I just noticed that you can pick font colour. Has this always been available ?
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 04/29/07 10:11 PM
Ramen Noodles with Sriracha Hot Chili sauce.

I shouldn't need to give you instructions on how to make that.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 04/30/07 01:07 AM
There are many variations. For example, do you put in the entire packet of seasoning, or do you spare your taste buds of the sodium overload and only use half? Do you add some veggies, such as peas or chopped spinach? Perhaps some tofu?

Ah, the days of ramen... How I do not miss them.
Posted By: CV Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 04/30/07 01:34 AM
Ha ha. Oh, man, this thread just reminded me I need to eat something.
Posted By: bridgman Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 04/30/07 01:48 AM
>>For example, do you put in the entire packet of seasoning, or do you spare your taste buds of the sodium overload and only use half?

Actually, I know people who use the noodles from one pack in another dish, then use the leftover seasoning baggie to make double-strength ramen. It's only about 170% of your daily sodium allowance. It's always good to accumulate a little salt in case you have to go without for a few days.

Using sriracha sauce is a healthy alternative

Thanks Dan, I'll give that a try !!
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 04/30/07 03:27 AM
Sriracha sauce is the bomb.

It goes on Pizza.

It goes on Ramen.

It goes on Popcorn.

It goes on...hmmm...that's about all I cook in college.

Funny story...about that...from my blog a while back:

"So, I had the brilliant idea of putting hotsauce in - you guessed it - my popcorn. However, at the time I didn't think it would work to well to put the hot sauce in the bag after it was popped, because it wouldn't really spread well. So, I had to..."modify" the popcorn bag. Armed with an exacto knife and another tool to be told about later...I made an incision along the inside fold of the bag, just enough to stick the hotsauce in and put a nice big squirt inside. So, I have this gaping whole in my popcorn bag, and it needs to be fixed. So, what does Daniel grab for (I call myself Daniel by the way, you guys call me Dan, yea). That's right, I go for Duct Tape, because it obviously fixes everything. So, a simple small strip to cover up my surgical-quality insicion, and off I go to the kitchen on our wing to cook up some spicy popcorn goodness.

So, it's sitting there in the microwave, cooking, and spinning. I notice it is taking quite a while for the popcorn to even start popping, but I hear a constant sizzling and an odor which I presume is hot sauce, so I deem everything as going well. A few minutes later, I smell a very strong smell, which smells like hot sauce to me. Smells good, I think. The bag is swelling, starting to pop, after about 5 minutes in the microwave. All of the sudden I realize an awful smell starting to arise. I just think its the hotsauce, so I keep on cooking the popcorn. Probably around 8 minutes, the bag is half popped, and it smells like someone burned hair, a baby diaper and indian food all together. I quickly turn off the microwave, rip open the bag, and noticed the very shriveled duct tape. Soon, I have people coming along from me and saying...what is that..SMELL? I quickly rip open the bag, taste the fruits of my labor, and throw it in the trash room. I decide to go back to my room and...evade the smell. Soon I hear a bellowing, "DRAZBA! WHAT DID YOU DO?" Yea, I won't tell the rest of the story. No, I didn't get a swirly.... Hah, just kidding, really nothing happened and the smell died away...after an hour.

So, moral of the story? Never, ever, put duct tape in the microwave, even if you think it's a good idea at the time. Unless you want to stink up a place, then it's a good idea, use a whole role of duct tape."

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, couldn't resist telling the story though :-)
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 04/30/07 04:40 PM
Quote:

Never, ever, put duct tape in the microwave

Solid college learning, right there.

I have discovered The Answer regarding grilled, boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

Brine them in 1 litre water, 1/4 C Salt and 1/4 C Sugar for about 45 minutes prior to cooking. Pat dry. Grill for only about 3.5 minutes per side (NG Weber, YMMV). Moist and delicious.

My wife made Joe's Special for me this weekend. Love it.

We're getting Sweet Onions now, from Texas and Georgia. What a country.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 04/30/07 05:24 PM
I have yet to enter the world of brining. Thanks for providing incentive.

My current best method for grilled BSCBs involves olive oil, salt and pepper (and/or other seasonings according to my mood), medium heat, and transferring them at the exact right, just pre-done moment to a waiting foil-lined (shiny side toward the meat, people!) vessel to finish steaming in their own juices.
Posted By: bridgman Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 05/06/07 02:56 PM
I discovered yesterday that the "unidentified object" the builders left behind is actually a temperature probe for my oven. An hour later I had a 2-1/2 pound boneless pork shoulder blade roast (didnt' know they came that small ) slathered with jerk paste for an overnight marinade, and now it's in the oven in a meatloaf pan tented with foil at 275F.

I put a bit of water in the bottom of the pan; figured it boiled off; added more, then realized there was about 3/4" of water in the bottom of the pan. Fortunately the meatloaf pan has a built-in rack so the roast is largely out of the water / jerk paste mix.

After 2-1/2 hrs the internal temperature is up to 149F so this might actually work. The dogs are sleeping in front of the oven, presumably dreaming about pork. What a life !!
Posted By: bridgman Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 05/06/07 06:58 PM

Anyways, where did I put that picture. Porcupine... pork... ahh, here we go.

5 hour cooking time for a 2-1/2 pound shoulder roast. Must have peeked too many times. I was having trouble with the probe near the end, seemed like it got stuck at 190F after I unplugged then re-plugged it, so I gave it another ~20 minutes after reaching 190F.

The pork pulled apart pretty easily but maybe another 20 minutes in the oven would have been ideal. I'm a bit new to this "pulling pork" thing (unlike Peter, apparently ) so while I was enjoying the first of the Pulled Pork on a Bun the dogs were finishing off the last of the Pulled Pork on the Floor.

Anyways, I get the stuff on the plate, dogs get the stuff in the foil, and I'm not sure what to do with the stuff in the pan 'cause it'll probably coat and kill my septic tank. Best idea so far is to take it outside and use it for pork-scented patio torches
Posted By: Ken.C Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 05/21/07 05:52 PM
Well, I couldn't find a BBQ (not smoker) specific thread, so I'll ask here:

I mistakenly bought a sirloin tip roast (round tip roast) yesterday, misreading the package like a moron. From what I can find online, my best bet is to roast it in the oven, but I thought I'd ask around here to see if anyone had any luck with one of these on a bbq. I meant to get a tri-tip, but like I said, I'm a moron...

I suspect that it doesn't have enough fat on it to cook like a tri-tip (it's been trimmed), but it looks like a decent piece of meat.

BTW, I got my Spirit E310 on Saturday...
Posted By: chesseroo Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 05/21/07 06:05 PM
Ken if you are not certain that the roast has much fat for cooking (a bit lean), i suggest the slow and sure method for doing lean or tough meats. Cook it like a roast but around 300F, no more than 315 for x hours (depends on its weight but usually about 15-20 min per pound is a guesstimate from the Joy of Cooking book). We usually use a lid or foil cover but with no water in the pan.
If you REALLY think the roast is too lean (say like ostrich meat) you can drape a few pieces of bacon over the top, hold them in with toothpicks to add some smoked flavor and extra, self basting fat.

good luck with that
Posted By: GrammarBot Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 05/21/07 06:05 PM
GrammarBot's Motor Oil Madness

Take 1 qt 10/40 motor oil.
Simmer in sauce pan on medium heat.
Add in hard copy of last 24 hours of Axiom BBS (must be fresh, never frozen).
Stir occasionally.
Salt and Pepper lightly.

Remove from heat.
Add 2 eggs, 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup jalapeno peppers, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Mix with robotic arm attachment GB-069.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes in bundt cake pan into shape of Axiom M80.

Cool, slice, you been served.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 05/21/07 06:58 PM
My wife will wrap a sirloin roast in foil with some garlic cloves, then put it on the BBQ for an hour at a medium low heat, comes out great.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 05/21/07 06:59 PM
Do you insert the cloves into the meat, or just sort of put them in the foil with?
Posted By: HomeDad Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 05/21/07 07:25 PM
She inserts them in the meat.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 05/21/07 07:29 PM
Forgot to add that on occasion she will let the meat marinate for an hour or so with whatever we have in the fridge, I prefer it with just the garlic and a little salt and pepper for taste.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 05/21/07 07:42 PM
Yeah, my wife generally prefers just the salt and garlic, too.

Thanks!
Posted By: Mojo Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 05/21/07 07:53 PM
HomeDad,

Wait a minute! You're the home dad and your wife is the one that prepares the sirloin? Good job, mate! How DO you do it?
Posted By: HomeDad Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 05/21/07 08:15 PM
Lol, sometimes you have to let the wife think she can do certain things better. I'm not a bad cook, but usually I'll enjoy a meal more if I didn't cook it.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 05/22/07 02:29 AM
Quote:

depends on its weight but usually about 15-20 min per pound

Screw the math. Get a meat thermometer. Jab the probe into the center of the beef and cook until it reaches 130°. Pull it out of the oven immediately and wrap it in foil (shiny side in) until it comes up the final 5 degrees to a nice medium-rare finish.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 05/26/07 07:34 PM
Well, I used Homedad's wife's method with this rub: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Herb-Rubbed-Sirloin-Tip-Roast/Detail.aspx

It turned out pretty well, except for the fact it was a little too done--I kind of destroyed my probe thermometer early in the process, so I was relying on an instant read jabbed into the meat at various locations at random times. NOTE: If you're using a probe thermometer, don't accidentally touch it to the 600 degree grate! Now to find out if Weber's accessory department will sell me a new probe for less than the cost of the whole widget...

In any case, thanks for the advice! This weekend, it's marinated drumsticks. I'm not sure how I'm going to bbq drumsticks, but that's what my wife bought. Quickly, I imagine.
Posted By: bridgman Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 05/27/07 02:30 AM
Marinated drumsticks ? Try this...

In honor of International Smoke Day, I did baby back ribs and Atomic Buffalo Turds. And venison burgers. Yum.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: So what are you cooking tonight? - 06/03/07 06:40 PM
I brined a bunch of chicken breasts yesterday afternoon and they came out wonderfully. In addition to the salt and sugar, I added garlic powder and lemon pepper to the water. I grilled mixed bell peppers in foil pouches to have as a side.

Today, I'm using the leftover chicken and bell peppers as ingredients in a 'semi-reciped' chicken soup. The dill we planted weeks ago has started to really take off, so I found a recipe for a nice mushroom dill soup that I'm blending with a more or less standard chicken soup. My goal is to elevate the chicken soup without bringing down the mushroom dill soup.

Everything's in the crock pot now. I'll let you know how it turns out in a couple hours.
© Axiom Message Boards