Axiom Home Page
Posted By: real80sman My iPod got pinched..... - 03/21/07 02:58 AM
Well, my 30gig iPod Video was stolen out of my car. My fault - I put it in the glove compartment, but forgot to lock the doors. It happened overnight right in my driveway. Does anyone know if there is a way to report it to Apple/iTunes so that if they try to connect it will be red-flagged? Or is this a pipe dream?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My iPod got pinched..... - 03/21/07 04:57 AM
I'm afraid that's a pipe dream. Since the iPod itself does not communicate to Apple, they've got no way of knowing.
Posted By: Krich Re: My iPod got pinched..... - 03/21/07 05:48 AM
Careful where you place the blame. The blame lies largely with the individual who stole your iPod.
Posted By: Jim_Perkins Re: My iPod got pinched..... - 03/21/07 09:36 PM
sorry about your loss.
3 to 1 odds it is someone whom you know.
that's what really peaves me off about this kind of stuff.
btw, i just made up the odds

i always left my car unlocked
then my stereo got stolen out of my car
so i went 6 weeks with no stereo.
then put new stereo in car.
kept doors locked.
within 3 days , the window was busted out of car.
stereo was intact, they musta got scared off.
this was about a dozen years ago, I still think it was the paperboy, who was a full grown man.

after i moved, i went back to leaving my car unlocked.
well except for today, as i have a new laptop in it.

i do think apple tracks each ipod, because of the drm, the tracks can only be authorized for so many machines. I doubt they will be able to help you though.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: My iPod got pinched..... - 03/21/07 10:23 PM
Randy, Apple's DRM is tied to a computer. Aactually, Apple allows for up to five computers to play DRM'ed content from a single account. The iPod, on the other hand, is DRM agnostic. The way Apple controls the DRM is to control how you can load music onto your iPod, and that's via iTunes alone. If you can get a DRM'ed track that you're not authorized to play onto an iPod via some other means, it'll play it.

So basically, no. Apple doesn't track iPods.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: My iPod got pinched..... - 03/22/07 05:07 AM
Wouldn't it be convenient if every iPod had an included, free, explosive device in it.

Conspiracy! I knew iPods were evil...Osama has us now...
Posted By: real80sman Re: My iPod got pinched..... - 03/22/07 10:25 PM
I thought that since the iPods serial number comes up every time it's connected........

Anyhow, I've checked other forums and about half of the posters go on a screaming rant about big brother and invasion of privacy at the very thought of tracking. I kind of chuckled, because I thought they already knew everything about me..........
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: My iPod got pinched..... - 03/23/07 02:46 AM
Your middle name is Finneus.
Posted By: Jim_Perkins Re: My iPod got pinched..... - 03/23/07 09:31 AM
thanks for straightening me out. I have very little experience with one.
my mother got one for christmas. and I think we hooked it up to a couple of computers, and it didnt like that. When i hooked it up to the second computer, something about wanting to erase all the songs. Something happened like that to make me think they keep track. But I guess it has nothing to do with the DRM

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60978
http://lostipods.com/
http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/entertainment/mp3_player/next_apple_os_to_track_stolen_ipods

Quote:

Randy, Apple's DRM is tied to a computer. Aactually, Apple allows for up to five computers to play DRM'ed content from a single account. The iPod, on the other hand, is DRM agnostic. The way Apple controls the DRM is to control how you can load music onto your iPod, and that's via iTunes alone. If you can get a DRM'ed track that you're not authorized to play onto an iPod via some other means, it'll play it.

So basically, no. Apple doesn't track iPods.

Posted By: Murph Re: My iPod got pinched..... - 03/26/07 11:41 PM
Quote:

I'm afraid that's a pipe dream. Since the iPod itself does not communicate to Apple, they've got no way of knowing.

Actually, your iPod connects to the Internet and all your personal data goes straight to Major League Baseball! You all need to watch the Simpsons more so you will be more edumacated.
Posted By: real80sman Re: My iPod got pinched..... - 03/29/07 03:37 AM
Murph, that's amazing!! As a long shot, I filed a report with MLB, and wouldn't you know, the MLB commissioner called me back!! They found my iPod, and are returning it right away!!

Seems that some idiot has too many jackets......

(As a disclaimer: There have been a number of unlocked cars on our street that are missing change and CD's in the morning. When mine was raided for change, and I couldn't find the iPod for the life of me, I assumed.....)
© Axiom Message Boards