Axiom Home Page
Posted By: michael_d Linemen have all the fun.... - 05/12/07 12:26 AM
http://www.glumbert.com/media/highpower

Pretty cool video in case you ever wondered how them birds can sit on a wire without getting smoked.

It's only 250k V per wire.
Posted By: Wid Re: Linemen have all the fun.... - 05/12/07 01:43 AM

That's plain crazy.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Linemen have all the fun.... - 05/12/07 02:41 AM
Sigh.... dialup. Bad dialup.

Can someone describe it to me ?
Posted By: michael_d Re: Linemen have all the fun.... - 05/12/07 02:57 AM
Well, ever wonder how the power company maintains high voltage suspended power lines that you drive by from time to time? You know, the ones that some communities blame birth defects on? The video is of a lineman catching a ride on a chopper, equalizing the flux between the line and the chopper, then crawling down the line to inspect it wearing a wire mesh suit and gloves to provide a path for half a million volts to travel around his body (they used to go bare handed, without gear until they realized the long term effects that high voltage has on soft tissue).
Posted By: Sutter Cane Re: Linemen have all the fun.... - 05/12/07 03:29 AM
Hey that looks like fun, I want to move to Alaska, do you have a job waiting for me, my friend? lol
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Linemen have all the fun.... - 05/12/07 03:41 AM
I saw this a couple weeks ago and it's just as amazing the second time around. Where would we be without Michael Faraday?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Linemen have all the fun.... - 05/12/07 04:33 AM
Very cool. Nice video.

Thanks, Mike!
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Linemen have all the fun.... - 05/12/07 06:13 AM
I like the quote at the end...

"I'm only afraid of three things: Electricity, heights, and women... And I'm married too."
Posted By: Spoiler Re: Linemen have all the fun.... - 05/12/07 12:15 PM
Nice find Mike. The ride to the wires sitting outside the chopper seems like a blast as well. The music in the video is a great fit, too.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Linemen have all the fun.... - 05/12/07 01:35 PM
Quote:

I saw this a couple weeks ago and it's just as amazing the second time around. Where would we be without Michael Faraday?

Or Tesla...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla
Posted By: RickF Re: Linemen have all the fun.... - 05/13/07 09:03 AM
I saw this very same video on an HD Discovery program awhile back, neat stuff Mike.

There have been some new high tension power lines constructed in the farming area where I work and it's cool to see just how the helicopters are incorporated into the job on a daily basis.
© Axiom Message Boards