Axiom Home Page
Posted By: DanielBMe Going to see the White Stripes tonight - 07/05/07 04:35 PM
My friend just gave me one of his tickets to see the White Stripes tonight. Should be good..if it doesn't rain. I bought their new cd Icky Thump which is quite good btw.

Anyone see them in concert?
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Going to see the White Stripes tonight - 07/05/07 07:39 PM
I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but I had to google White Stripes to figure out who they are...

Have fun.
Posted By: DanielBMe Re: Going to see the White Stripes tonight - 07/05/07 08:05 PM
Hmm maybe it just means you're getting old...
Quote:

I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but I had to google White Stripes to figure out who they are...

Have fun.

How did you know what google is????
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Going to see the White Stripes tonight - 07/05/07 08:26 PM
Damn kids with their damn new-fangled "joogle" or whatever it damn well is listening to their damn Purple Polkadots... Stay off my lawn!
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Going to see the White Stripes tonight - 07/06/07 01:47 AM
Naw, just not my style of music... And I listen to just about everything, except country and rap...

Or maybe I AM getting old... Hmm... tell that one to my wife. I've got two kids, yet she tells people that she's got three (she means me for all you folks that were going to post some "foolin' around" message)...

Does it mean that I am old if I was using the internet before it went graphical? I graduated college the same year that Marc Andreessen did (he co-work Mosaic, which was really the first graphical web browser. Do a "Help - About" in Internet Explorer and you will see that it still references Mosaic. He also co-founded Netscape. He is 1 year older than me though...)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Going to see the White Stripes tonight - 07/06/07 02:41 AM
Quote:

And I listen to just about everything, except country and rap...

I used to say the same thing. Then I found some country (Guy Clark, Allison Krauss + Union Station) and rap (Jurassic 5, A Tribe Called Quest) that I liked. If the songwriting is good and the musicianship is high, then I can listen to pretty much anything.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Going to see the White Stripes tonight - 07/06/07 04:16 AM
Quote:

*blinks incredulously*

Bren R.
Posted By: CV Re: Going to see the White Stripes tonight - 07/06/07 05:04 AM
I always think of Crest when I hear White Stripes, even though it's Crest Whitestrips.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Going to see the White Stripes tonight - 07/06/07 05:32 AM
I smell a commercial tie-in!
Posted By: DanielBMe Re: Going to see the White Stripes tonight - 07/06/07 12:46 PM
Well, I have to say the concert was most excellent. It always surprises me how much noise two people can make. It was just the two of them on stage all night rocking it out.

I couldn't sleep when I got home because the tunes were still ringing in my ears.

It would be quite funny if instead of lighters being flicked during the concert ,everyone started waving Crest Whitestrips lol
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Going to see the White Stripes tonight - 07/06/07 12:56 PM
I must be living in a dark hole or something... I did a quick Wiki search too, and they have been around for 10 years come July 14th, 2007. They were even on the Simpsons (which I haven't seen in ages either)... I guess I just don't have time any more to explore new (to me apparently) music... Heck, I have a hard time even sitting down with enough time to make it through HALF of a movie at a time any more...

I suspect that others don't know who they are either, but are afraid to speak up (chicken). Oh well, I'll "take one for the team."

I wonder how the concert was? I am sure that it was great, and we will here that...
If you guys enjoy the "duo sound", I *highly* recommend a band called The Black Keys out of Akron, OH. They are often compared to the White Stripes (and not just because of name!). I have seen them perform live, and that is where they really shine. Their recordings don't quite do them justice (though they were on the School of Rock soundtrack).

Interestingly, they pride themselves on low-fidelity recordings. Again, worth a listen.

Rich
Posted By: bridgman Re: Going to see the White Stripes tonight - 07/06/07 05:33 PM
I happened to see them on one of the late night shows (Leno or Letterman probably) a lot of years ago and was really impressed.

It's always impressive how much music a good guitarist can put out. I liked the Stray Cats for the same reason.

P.S. For anyone in the Toronto area who didn't get a chance to see FM in the early days, I still think they were maybe the best two piece band I have heard yet.
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Going to see the White Stripes tonight - 07/06/07 05:55 PM
Ahhhh, FM. Now that brings back memories
Never saw them perform live however I sure enjoyed their music!
Posted By: avdude Re: Going to see the White Stripes tonight - 07/06/07 06:47 PM
Quote:

P.S. For anyone in the Toronto area who didn't get a chance to see FM in the early days, I still think they were maybe the best two piece band I have heard yet.

I second that .. I saw them a few times myself...

And here is some more whitestrip news.. Seems they played in TO for some kids at a local YMCA
http://entertainment1.sympatico.msn.ca/W...ct=&abc=abc

Avdude
Posted By: bridgman Re: Going to see the White Stripes tonight - 07/07/07 02:36 AM
If you've never heard them live, then you really should pick up "Lost in Space" (a collection of early demos) from Nash's web site. To me this is what FM really sounded like, much more so than any of their studio recordings.

Album list
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Going to see the White Stripes tonight - 07/08/07 06:37 PM
Thanks John,
I'll check it out.
Cheers,
Shaun
© Axiom Message Boards