Axiom Home Page
Posted By: St_PatGuy "Firefly" - 09/07/07 04:18 AM
I recently borrowed the "Firefly" series from a coworker and am very sorry this show didn't get much of a chance to stick around. I remember watching the pilot episode, but didn't understand everything--and for good reason. It turns out the second episode was shown by the network because the first didn't have enough action. What??? Screw trying to set up characters and introducing a new world--let's get to the explosions!!!! Very sad. Further brilliant programing by the network was the awesomeness of showing the episodes out of order.

I realize "Firefly" was not for everyone--a sci-fi western with a wacky sense of humor--but I was really drawn to the characters and the chemistry of the cast. From watching the supplemental material it seems the show was a labor of love for all involved, and it showed in the final product. Although a bit corny and awkward the show seemed to embrace those qualities and run with them.

After watching the episodes last weekend, I put on the film "Serenity," which I had seen before but didn't quite get because I missed almost all the television shows. While I enjoyed the movie before, I appreciated it much more after finishing the box set, and could really see where the show was intended to go. I'm sad it never got the chance.
Posted By: bridgman Re: "Firefly" - 09/07/07 05:06 AM
Agreed. I never saw Firefly when it was running on TV, but I bought the DVDs after watching Serenity. It was a well written show with good characters, more so that most of what we see today.
Posted By: richeydog Re: "Firefly" - 09/07/07 05:21 AM
Sean, I've been meaning to rent the series and give it a go, but haven't got around to it yet. I have watched Serenity and thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters and style are a bit quirky...but very likeable.

Adding to my Netflix queue...
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: "Firefly" - 09/07/07 05:51 AM
Yeah, i liked the show too.

I loved that it was in HD so that was one of the draws for me. Too bad it went the way of Arrested Development.
Posted By: CV Re: "Firefly" - 09/07/07 06:31 AM
Now Arrested Development is a show I can get behind. It's tied for second in my all-time favorite shows.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: "Firefly" - 09/07/07 11:22 AM
If the Firefly series is better then Serenity, which I didn't particularly care for, then I might have to give it a chance. The movie just seemed sloppy to me.
Posted By: skyhawk669 Re: "Firefly" - 09/07/07 12:44 PM
The tv show is way better than the movie. I can't say that you will like it for sure, that show is hit or miss, but it's worth seeing in my opinion.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: "Firefly" - 09/07/07 01:28 PM
I watched the TV series before seeing the movie, and the movie would be difficult to follow and understand the interworkings of the background of the characters. The movie was definately designed, in my opinion, to be for the fans of the series who had seen the character introductions, understood who this crazy girl was, and why she and her brother were on the run, etc...

I think that the upcoming Stargate movies will be similar. They are designed for Stargate SG1 fans, and not for someone just coming in on the end of the series, but that is a different topic.

I actually liked the mix of wild west and future sci-fi. It was a fresh and innovative approach to what amounts to a lot of boring "same ol', same ol'" TV...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: "Firefly" - 09/07/07 01:43 PM
Of course, my comment is colored by the fact that I'm almost done rewatching all of Star Trek:DS9 on DVD -- just finished season 6 of 7 last night. Truly an excellent show.

But back to the subject...
Posted By: DanielBMe Re: "Firefly" - 09/07/07 02:00 PM
Right now on Amazon.com the goldbox deal of the day is the Firefly complete series for $19.99. All 14 episodes.
Posted By: michael_d Re: "Firefly" - 09/07/07 02:10 PM
I enjoyed Firefly a lot and was disappointed to find out it was only one season long. If you like that one, try Eureka, it's not a 'space' show, but similar humor. I just got season one of the Supernatural on DVD. I have not seen that show before but Amazon thought I would like it....damn Amazon.
Posted By: medic8r Re: "Firefly" - 09/07/07 03:22 PM
Don't know if they are still doing it, but on DirecTV, Firefly was airing on one of the HD channels earlier this year. HDNet, I think. Maybe Universal HD. Those channels are good sources of second runs of recent series in HD, e.g. Smallville, Enterprise ...
Posted By: nickbuol Re: "Firefly" - 09/07/07 03:47 PM
Quote:

Right now on Amazon.com the goldbox deal of the day is the Firefly complete series for $19.99. All 14 episodes.

I picked up the box set for $10 at WalMart about 6 weeks... Not sure if that was a regular price or not, but might be worth a look.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: "Firefly" - 09/07/07 03:49 PM
Quote:

If you like that one, try Eureka, it's not a 'space' show, but similar humor.

I like that show too. It is one of those "crossover" scifi shows that also appeals to non-scifi folks.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: "Firefly" - 09/07/07 04:19 PM
Isn't Firefly from the same guy as Buffy? Joss Whedon? I'm still a huge Buffy fan, and find the character development among the best I've ever seen on TV. As said with the others, though, it's hard to jump into the middle....
Posted By: HomeDad Re: "Firefly" - 09/07/07 05:12 PM
I've got Serenity in HD shipping today from Netflix, I haven't seen it or Firefly, being a big SiFi fan I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Posted By: bridgman Re: "Firefly" - 09/07/07 06:33 PM
>>Isn't Firefly from the same guy as Buffy? Joss Whedon?

Yep, Buffy in space, without the vampires but with more guns.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: "Firefly" - 09/07/07 08:01 PM
See Firefly first. You have to see Firefly to really understand Serenity--it's not a standalone movie. Unfortunately, it also looks like Joss finished the series with the movie, so I doubt there will be further trips to that particular storyline.
Posted By: haylo75 Re: "Firefly" - 09/07/07 08:52 PM
Yep, Firefly is a definite prerequisite. I thought the series started off well, but faltered a bit toward the end. Good premise and dialogue though.

Serenity looks and sounds awesome on HD DVD.

Did anyone see Slither? Nathan Fillion (Mal) plays basically the same character in that, so if you like him in Firefly / Serenity then you'll probably enjoy Slither. I liked the fact that Slither didn't take itself so seriously.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: "Firefly" - 09/07/07 08:52 PM
Heh... Amazon has the Firefly series DVDs in the Gold Box today for only $20. Pity I already have it.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: "Firefly" - 09/07/07 09:28 PM
I'll get the first episode of Firefly from Netflix, there is also an episode showing Sat. evening in HD on DirecTv.
A bit off the subject, but I have been reading the Harry Potter novels for the first time (finishing book 4 today). So I've decided to get the series of movies and watch them along with reading the books (books first of course).
The family watched the first movie last night and I was suprised on how much we all liked it, the kids were to young to see them when they came out, but now loved our first venture into the Harry Potter films.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: "Firefly" - 09/08/07 03:04 PM
Quote:

If the Firefly series is better then Serenity, which I didn't particularly care for, then I might have to give it a chance. The movie just seemed sloppy to me.

Well, the show was somewhat sloppy, too, but I think that was a deliberate stylistic choice. When I first watched the movie I didn't know much about it and was in the mood for a serious sci fi flick. I don't think I quite keyed into the humor the first time around, plus I didn't quite understand all the character dynamics.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: "Firefly" - 09/08/07 03:06 PM
Quote:

Sean, I've been meaning to rent the series and give it a go, but haven't got around to it yet. I have watched Serenity and thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters and style are a bit quirky...but very likeable.

Adding to my Netflix queue...

Michael, you should definitely like the show, then. The characters are the strongest part.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: "Firefly" - 09/08/07 03:10 PM
Quote:

Ahh, I read this last night and checked out Amazon, but I was so tired after coming home late I didn't bother with it. Today, it's back up to $30.00. What part of "deal of the day" did I not understand? Doh!
Posted By: zhimbo Re: "Firefly" - 09/08/07 06:55 PM
Quote:

Well, the show was somewhat sloppy, too, but I think that was a deliberate stylistic choice.

I was wondering what "sloppy" meant...if it's the camera work, then yes, that's definitely a conscious stylistic decision, although the camera work in the movie seemed more "traditional" than in the series.
© Axiom Message Boards