Axiom Home Page
Posted By: axiomadmin Board Upgrades - 10/03/07 01:24 AM
Hello All;

This forum will be shut down for upgrades at approximately 3:00 am EDT October 3rd for roughly 1-2 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience!

James Savard
Axiom Audio
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Board Upgrades - 10/03/07 01:29 AM
ah GEEZ, that is EXACTLY the moment i need to do my board posting dagnabit.
Posted By: RickF Re: Board Upgrades - 10/03/07 01:33 AM
Believe it or not I typically check it out around 4 a.m. prior to heading off to work....which reminds me, it's past my bedtime.
Posted By: axiomadmin Re: Board Upgrades - 10/05/07 11:59 AM
Hello Again;

We will be shutting the boards down at approximately 8:00am this morning for upgrades. Sorry for any inconvenience.

James Savard
Axiom Audio
Posted By: Ajax Re: Board Upgrades - 10/05/07 01:24 PM
WOW! This is going to take a little getting used to. \:o I feel like I'm trying to negotiate my own home, in the dark, after somebody moved the furniture.

Seriously, once accustomed to it, I think it will be terrific. I'm glad there are a few new smilies I can use to torture everyone.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Board Upgrades - 10/05/07 01:37 PM
I'm with you Ajax. Your analogy is perfect. Familiar but foreign. It certainly looks a bit more polished, and I'm really digging the new post entry firm form. (not to mention the new emoticons )

It will take some getting used to.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Board Upgrades - 10/05/07 01:43 PM
I gotta admit that I laughed aloud at your smilie (smiley, emoticon, graemlin, whatever )

Holy cats! \:o Did you notice the two arrows on the extreme right of the post entry form? One can actually make the text area larger than the already more generous area provided by the upgrade! Woo Hoo!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Board Upgrades - 10/05/07 01:52 PM
Wow, now you can write a novel and still see the first line without having to scroll back. And the handy dandy image button will mean everyone can abuse the feature.

Posted By: Ajax Re: Board Upgrades - 10/05/07 01:53 PM
I'm not too crazy about the smilie. It doesn't quite say EEK! (or EGAD! or ARE YOU KIDDING?) like does. But then, I'm a bit anally picky about my smilies. ;\)
Posted By: Ajax Re: Board Upgrades - 10/05/07 01:57 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
And the handy dandy image button will mean everyone can abuse the feature.
LOL! I just realized that I am so accustomed to adding an image by doing the code myself (thanks to the Axiom forum formerly requiring it), that I'm more comfortable doing it that way than using the button. I do the same on other forums that have the button as well. \:D
Posted By: a401classic Re: Board Upgrades - 10/05/07 02:05 PM
I miss the old stylesheet...

Scott
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Board Upgrades - 10/05/07 02:09 PM
anally picky?

Posted By: Ajax Re: Board Upgrades - 10/05/07 02:11 PM
Yes, I knew you'd pick on that. And, you didn't disappoint. \:\(
Posted By: CV Re: Board Upgrades - 10/05/07 02:15 PM
At least he's not up to his tennis elbow in itch relief.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Board Upgrades - 10/05/07 02:19 PM
There is only one thing I wish they'd added. On some forums, when you go to the reply form to create a post, on the same page, just beneath the form, one can scroll through a considerable number (10? 20?) of recent posts. This is very convenient for replying to posts by different people, for it enables you to copy and paste their comments and then reply to them. It is also helpful (if you're old and senile) to refresh one's memory as to exactly what it is one is replying to.

Here, one has only one post visible to consult. \:\(
Posted By: chesseroo NEW UBB Boards - 10/05/07 02:22 PM
I like the new look, but how the heck do you search?
And, all my flagged favorite posts are gone from my profile.

Posted By: Murph Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/05/07 02:28 PM
I'm liking it too.
However, I'm trying to determine the flag to spot "new" posts where there has been an update that you have not read yet.

I turned on the feature that shows the last post time 'relative' to now and that helps but I'm basically lazy with web boards and it bugs me when I can't see what's new to be read.

This is my biggest pet peeve in some other boards so hopefully, I'm just missing something. Very nice otherwise.
Posted By: Newf Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/05/07 02:54 PM
this was long overdue....great job
Posted By: HomeDad Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/05/07 02:57 PM
I like it also, but I do miss the flagging of new posts, perhaps that could be added. I really do like these guys though. \:\) \:\( \:D
Posted By: Mojo Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/05/07 03:26 PM
Very nice. It looks like the quota numbers in the "My Messages" window are backwards.
Posted By: jakewash Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/05/07 04:08 PM
Definitely different and does take a little getting used to, but also an improvement. I also would like to see a new posts section.

I was just going thru the user list and I am surprised by how many have never posted.

DOH! If you go to Active Topics there is a spot in the drop down for posts last 24hrs.

Posted By: Murph Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/05/07 04:59 PM
In fairness to my previous post, I've come back a few hours later and I am now seeing some numbers in red brackets indicating that there are new posts to read. I am assuming it just took a bit before my post reading was 'reset' so to speak.

Now, if we could just get it to automatically start at the first post you haven't read in a thread, we would be back to Best Board EVER!!

I'm sorry Axiom, I know I'm never happy. But that trait will keep me buying new product so it's a win for you! \:\)
Posted By: nickbuol Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/05/07 05:01 PM
I just noticed that too. Also, the forum (such as "The Water Cooler" has a different, and in color, icon in front of it to show that there are new posts... Getting closer.....

Now if I just hadn't lose my "watched threads", but oh well. It isn't the end of the world. I welcome the long needed update.
Posted By: Amie Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/05/07 06:12 PM
Hello from the Florida show, everyone! I'll be posting some pics tonight. Glad to see Jim was able to get the boards changed over. I think we usually feel the same way about these, things, but thought I would check - do we want to lose the flames on the threads?
Posted By: RickF Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/05/07 07:02 PM
Different!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/05/07 07:35 PM
 Originally Posted By: Amie
do we want to lose the flames on the threads?

I vote yes! Liking it so far though.....
Posted By: Ajax Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/05/07 08:17 PM
 Originally Posted By: Amie
...do we want to lose the flames on the threads?
For some, completely inexplicable reason they bother me. So, I vote to lose them. \:\)
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/05/07 09:01 PM
Flame off.

I'm so glad to see that second and subsequent visits do display "new" messages like we were used to.

I will look forward to the stories from Florida!
Posted By: Mojo Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/05/07 09:04 PM
I don't see what you and Murph see.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/05/07 09:30 PM
One thing I just noticed is that if you go into your messages option under Preferences, it shows all my messages, even the ones I deleted long ago?

I've kept certain messages through the years for a reason because they hold information I wanted to keep, and deleted PM's that I had no intention of ever needing again.

Now it is going to be very difficult to locate the important PM's.
Posted By: Ajax Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/05/07 10:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
One thing I just noticed is that if you go into your messages option under Preferences, it shows all my messages, even the ones I deleted long ago?
LOL! \:D My message page says "Quota: 603 of 200." \:o
Posted By: Ajax Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/05/07 10:33 PM
OK! I deleted around 25 pages of messages, and I'm legal now. \:\)
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/05/07 11:58 PM
Clicked on the forums early this morning and thought I hit a wrong button. The new format is nice, but dangit, I gotta get used to it!
Posted By: Mojo Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/06/07 12:21 AM
I just noticed that if I hold down my right mouse button I can draw on the "Your Private Messages" screen.
Posted By: Wid Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/06/07 02:39 AM

This is nice but boy it sure is going to take some gettin used to.
Posted By: JohnK Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/06/07 02:52 AM
Come on, Axiom; restore the 300 limit on PMs.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/06/07 04:01 AM
Am I missing it or has the calendar gone away? Don't want to be missing anyones BD. \:\)
Posted By: Amie Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/06/07 01:52 PM
Hi guys;

Sorry - I'm slow getting to the boards today. 300 message limit restored!

Best,

Amie
Posted By: SirQuack Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/06/07 02:01 PM
Now that I take a closer look at my messages, it appears that most of the 30+ pages are old pm's that I sent others. This is interesting because I never marked them to save when I originally sent them. Now I get to go back and delete them all, fun fun.
Posted By: Mojo Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/06/07 02:27 PM
In the old boards, I could select between "sent" and "received" message views. How do I do that on these boards?
Posted By: avdude Re: NEW UBB Boards - 10/06/07 04:15 PM
New fourms look good!! In a few days everyone will have forgotten about the old style, change is good!

Avdude..
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Board Upgrades - 10/06/07 04:39 PM
 Originally Posted By: Ajax
There is only one thing I wish they'd added. On some forums, when you go to the reply form to create a post, on the same page, just beneath the form, one can scroll through a considerable number (10? 20?) of recent posts. This is very convenient for replying to posts by different people, for it enables you to copy and paste their comments and then reply to them. It is also helpful (if you're old and senile) to refresh one's memory as to exactly what it is one is replying to.

Here, one has only one post visible to consult. \:\(

Yes!

Yes....YES! It is so much easier...a real benefit.

....yeah; especially for us older folks!

Shucks; I have enough trouble remembering just what forum I'm on half the time.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Board Upgrades - 10/06/07 06:50 PM
Also a Hop To: at the top of the page would be nice as well, so you don't have to scroll all the way to the bottom to select a different category.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Board Upgrades - 10/06/07 06:55 PM
I REALLY miss the flashing envelope notification telling me I have PM's. This really needs to be added back in my opinion.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Board Upgrades - 10/06/07 07:11 PM
I have a flashing envelope.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Board Upgrades - 10/06/07 07:21 PM
I just sent my self a PM and it didn't work, oh well.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Board Upgrades - 10/06/07 07:22 PM
Me too! They must be back! \:D

....uh;....wait a minute....I didn't know they were gone. \:\)

Well; anyway...."they're back!"(in best Poltergeist, TV watching, accent) \:o

EDIT: uh, OK; uh, they were here a little while ago.
Posted By: Amie Re: Board Upgrades - 10/06/07 07:22 PM
Hi Sirquack;

I've got the flashing envelope too - what's your browser?

Best,

Amie
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Board Upgrades - 10/06/07 07:23 PM
IE 6 on my work laptop running XP. I'll have to try my HTPC the next time I head downstairs. Right now I'm trying to track down a USB cable Amie, hint hint. \:\) May have to run to Walmart real quick..
Posted By: Zarak Re: Board Upgrades - 10/07/07 01:53 AM
The new messages feature only seems to partially work for me still. I am seeing them in some threads and not others.

Any yes, I think the flames should go.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Board Upgrades - 10/07/07 01:14 PM
 Originally Posted By: F107plus5
Shucks; I have enough trouble remembering just what forum I'm on half the time.

Ditto!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Board Upgrades - 10/07/07 01:33 PM
Who ARE you people?
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Board Upgrades - 10/07/07 02:47 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Who ARE you people?

See; there ya go! If some of us can't always remember what forum we're on; how can we possibly be expected to remember WHO we are!!

;\)

Oh; and speaking about not knowing...some forums have a little bullet that lights up in all that persons' posts if that person is logged-in at the moment. Like; Hi Mark! I'm kinda talking to Mark at the moment, but I can't tell for sure if he's on line at right now. I know we have the new "Who's Online" block to refer to, which is cool, but at least for today, anyway; it doesn't seem to be all that reliable.....yet. \:\)

EDIT: Never mind! I just found the little face that says if we're on line or not! Cool!

....mine says I'm not on line.

EDIT, EDIT......it just came on! Gotta luv it! \:D
Posted By: haylo75 Re: Board Upgrades - 10/10/07 01:34 AM
Great upgrade on the forums, and the new theme is very pleasing.

Kudos!
Posted By: Amie Re: Board Upgrades - 10/10/07 01:54 PM
Okay everyone, to confirm, here's what is still missing from the User Wish List:

- view more than one post when replying
- view 'sent messages' in private messages
- 'hop to' at the top of the forums as well as the bottom

Is that about right?
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Board Upgrades - 10/10/07 03:15 PM
Calendar?
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Board Upgrades - 10/10/07 03:17 PM
what the heck is a "hop to"?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Board Upgrades - 10/10/07 04:29 PM
Look at the very bottom of the message page.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Board Upgrades - 10/10/07 08:37 PM
I'm not getting new messages at all; maybe it's because I switch between machines, but I'm not seeing any fresh ones when I log in. The two machines I've tried so far are XP/Firefox 2 and Vista/Firefox 2.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Board Upgrades - 10/11/07 08:19 AM
I guess I missed the part where it was mentioned there is a French language forum now too.

Makes me realize how much better I am at understanding French in written, as opposed to oral, form.

Bren R.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Board Upgrades - 10/11/07 09:05 AM
I am the only registerd user online but not showing up in the who's online box on the left? It reads 0, I was there for awhile then, not, yet I know I am here as I am typing this.

It must remove you after a time of in activity, as I was composing a message, as I returned and yet never left.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Board Upgrades - 10/11/07 01:42 PM
I've noticed that too.

I've also noticed that the "View Forums" screen is not reliable in alerting me of new messages. To make sure that I haven't missed any missages, I go into "Active Posts: Past 24 hours" and scroll through to find posts that I haven't read. It's a real pain because the active posts screen doesn't highlight what has already been read. Also French and English posts are intermingled in that screen.

Smileys also don't show up when I invoke them although I can see others' smilies.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Board Upgrades - 10/11/07 03:12 PM
invisible mojo.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Board Upgrades - 10/11/07 04:12 PM
Hmm. Well, my issue seems to be resolved after dumping the cookies on one of the machines.
Posted By: Amie Re: Board Upgrades - 10/11/07 05:22 PM
Calendar is up now Homedad. It's big, isn't it?
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Board Upgrades - 10/11/07 05:24 PM
Am I going blind or has the calendar been to the left all along
Posted By: axiom Re: Board Upgrades - 10/11/07 05:30 PM
Hello All;

You may want to try clearing your site cookies if you're experiencing intermittant bugs with the boards (including trouble with "new post" notifications).

The cookie clearing tool is available at:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=mycookies

I hope this helps! If you continue to experience issues with the forum, please don't hesitate to contact me.

James Savard
Axiom Audio
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Board Upgrades - 10/11/07 05:32 PM
Sorry to be the one to tell you this but... you are going blind! It juts appeared (at least for me!)
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Board Upgrades - 10/11/07 06:48 PM
Thanks Amie, I like the new calendar \:\)
Posted By: Mojo Re: Board Upgrades - 10/11/07 08:59 PM
Yeah, me too. Thanks for the cookie-clearing info.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Board Upgrades - 10/11/07 11:08 PM
Aww, no top posters any more? But how am I supposed to know how far ahead of Randy I am? ;\)
Posted By: Amie Re: Board Upgrades - 10/12/07 12:22 AM
I believe (and I mean this in the most respectful way) if you click on yourself you can keep track . . .

Nah, there was just no good way of saying it. Sorry!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Board Upgrades - 10/12/07 12:32 AM
\:D
Posted By: Mojo Re: Board Upgrades - 10/12/07 01:11 AM
Amie,

I noticed that our posts are all numbered "backwards". Earlier posts should have a lower number than later posts.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Board Upgrades - 10/12/07 01:16 AM
Your post number was higher than the one above. Looks right to me.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Board Upgrades - 10/12/07 01:26 AM
Amie, we seem to have lost the "jump to unread" feature that used to appear at the beginning of each thread that had unread posts.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Board Upgrades - 10/12/07 01:27 AM
Jason, I believe he's referring to the post numbers when you look at all of somone's posts. Like here:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=userposts&id=1609
Posted By: Mojo Re: Board Upgrades - 10/12/07 01:31 AM
That's right, Peter. bbigwyrs is affecting my english :-).
Posted By: jakewash Re: Board Upgrades - 10/12/07 01:43 AM
Or he has corrupted my reading ability.
Posted By: Amie Re: Board Upgrades - 10/12/07 11:13 AM
I don't think I understand, Mojo. Do you mean when you click to see all of a user's post, you want to see them from the beginning (page 1) until the end?
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Board Upgrades - 10/12/07 01:37 PM
I like the new "booming" woofer icons for the main forum page, but now I can't tell (via the icon) if there are new posts in that sub-forum...
Posted By: Mojo Re: Board Upgrades - 10/12/07 01:48 PM
Amie,

When you click to see all the posts (say 100 posts for example) of a particular user, the earliest dated post should be labelled "1" and the latest dated post should be labelled "100". Right now, it's backwards.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Board Upgrades - 10/12/07 06:09 PM
Doh. Ignore my last post. I see that if there are new posts, the speakers are booming... If no new posts, no "booming" speaker.
Posted By: richeydog Re: Board Upgrades - 10/12/07 09:57 PM
Strangest thing just happened just now. I logged in to the Axiom boards and it took me to the old software version UBB 6.5.4., instead of the new one.

It was showing unread posts dated 6/20/07. I slipped back in time for a moment. Too weird. In order to get to the new version, I had to go to the Axiom Main page, then click the forums tab.

Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Board Upgrades - 10/12/07 10:03 PM
i just saw that too. It's back though.
Posted By: RickF Re: Board Upgrades - 10/12/07 10:12 PM
Richey I tried doing the same but I couldn't get to the new boards in that manner.....man that was like the twilight zone or something.
Posted By: Amie Re: Board Upgrades - 10/12/07 10:31 PM
The site actually went down and we were on our backup server for about 25 minutes while our host's webguru got off a subway and got to a machine. Seems like it was an apache failure, but he's still looking into it. We don't think it's anything we've done, but we've been doing a lot this week! We're rolling out changes for the next 14 days straight so hopefully that's the only time the site will go down. Sorry for the trouble!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Board Upgrades - 10/13/07 05:04 AM
Amie, I noticed in checking the profile of a rather infrequent poster before replying to him by his first name that there's no longer provision for showing the names(if the member chooses). It would be helpful to restore this option and the names which previously were included in the profiles, if the info can still be recovered.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Board Upgrades - 10/13/07 01:52 PM
I'd like to see the names as well.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Board Upgrades - 10/13/07 03:31 PM
For future reference my new name will be Count Fiddlesticks.

Oh man, what'd I put in my coffee this morning?

Let's just stick with Sean.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Board Upgrades - 10/13/07 04:02 PM
How bout that. I haven't posted here a lot lately, and on the other forum I frequent, names aren't normally used. I do see after returning here that names aren't used as much as I "remember" them being used in the past.

Interesting.

I guess I'm guilty of sometimes forgetting too.
Rich.

....the Booming Woofer is interesting too! An EP125 or 175 though. Hmmmmm.....

EDIT: Yeah; I know. A Wok cycling in and out would likely be invisible looking on-axis. \:\(
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Board Upgrades - 10/14/07 04:38 AM
Anybody else having issues with the Advanced "search" tool not pulling back results when it should?

I've been using some of the advanced searching for years and it does not seem to be working like in the past.

For example, say I want to search for "subject line only" for HD DVD. I've tried everything from "HD DVD", "hd dvd", +hd +dvd, +HD +DVD, etc. In addition to pulling back everything in the last 3 years and I get "no results".

There is a thread right now in the with HD DVD right in the title.

Randy
Posted By: Amie Re: Board Upgrades - 10/14/07 12:19 PM
Okay, I've added the first name field - I'll ask Jim if he can port the names from the old installation.

I see that we are able to search for some things, but not HD DVD - I can't figure that out at all. I'll ask Jim that one too!
Posted By: Ajax Re: Board Upgrades - 10/14/07 01:03 PM
Amie, I don't think I'm getting an email sent to me when someone sends me a PM. At least the last few PMs sent to me didn't seem to generate one. The PMs were sent to multiple recipients. Don't know if that would have anything to do with it, but I thought I'd mention it.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Board Upgrades - 10/14/07 01:09 PM
NEVERMIND! I just went into "My Preferences" and found that the appropriate option had been reset to "No" rather than "Yes." I'd guess that happened when the software was changed. I reset it to "Yes" which should take care of the problem.
Posted By: Wid Re: Board Upgrades - 10/14/07 01:14 PM

Jack,

I sent ya pm, check to see if it is corrected.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Board Upgrades - 10/14/07 01:54 PM
It is corrected. Thanks so much for sending me a test message. Very thoughtful of you. \:\)

It's gonna take some time to get used to the private messages looking just like a thread on the forum. When I sent you a PM reply, for a moment, I thought I had mistakenly posted in a thread.

It isn't the thread mode that will take getting used to. I really like that you can see the initial PM closely followed by your reply, just like a thread. The disconcerting thing is that the PM thread mode looks exactly like a forum thread. If there could be some sort of obvious difference (colors? font?,something?), while still maintaining the thread mode, it would be easier on my nerves.

Oh phooey! I will get used to checking at the top of the page to see that I'm in the private message area and not in a forum area. It's no big deal.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Board Upgrades - 10/14/07 02:34 PM
Thanks Amie,

There is something definately going on with searching. I just tried searching for various words and it was hit or miss, even though the words did exist in the subject line on threads.

I'm sure it has something to do with the queries on the database or limitations.
Posted By: alan Re: Board Upgrades - 10/14/07 03:41 PM
Sir Quack,

As Amie knows, I distrust this new board layout until I get used to it.

I just answered your PM and figured I had to click on "Submit" (to what---bondage? ) in order to send it. Did you receive it? The old boards used to say "message sent" or something sensible like that.

Regards,

Alan
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Board Upgrades - 10/14/07 03:42 PM
yes, thank you sir. \:\)
Posted By: RickF Re: Board Upgrades - 10/14/07 05:12 PM
 Originally Posted By: Ajax
When I sent you a PM reply, for a moment, I thought I had mistakenly posted in a thread.

Whew, that could certainly be a sure fire way to get more than a forum member or two riled up on occasion.

© Axiom Message Boards