Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Mojo Software Reliability - 11/01/07 02:24 AM
Has anyone out there successfully implemented a software reliability program? I'm not referring to just test plans and bug counts but an actual program that predicts software MTBF and cost of maintenance. Eric or Bridgman, how about you two?
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Software Reliability - 11/01/07 12:28 PM
Not on my side. We did a lot of experiment (still doing actually) with simple nominal documentation of bug origin (specs, arc, design, imp...) that once allowed us to re-plan hiring (replaced a developer's opening for a system engineer one) and it helped us in doing more productive baby steps (finding where a small process improvement would actually make a difference throughout the chain). But nothing that could be turned into "recommendations" or any systemic way of working.

That being said, in my case, I am a startup guy. So, I am more used to managing chaos in the beginning and introducing process as the company grows. But I have never reached a level (company is usually sold by then!) where I would turn basic processes into anything more serious.

Do you have anything specific in mind? Also, what kind of field are you in? (the current company that I co-founded is http://www.trellianetworks.com and we are in deep integration of connectivity on laptops)
© Axiom Message Boards