Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pmbuko Paul Anka sang what??? - 12/19/07 02:29 PM
See for yourself... \:o
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Paul Anka sang what??? - 12/19/07 03:08 PM
I bet Kurt is either tuning over in his grave or dancing in heaven with delight. You never could tell with Kurt.
Posted By: Murph Re: Paul Anka sang what??? - 12/19/07 03:31 PM

I never really had a desire to assassinate anyone before this.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Paul Anka sang what??? - 12/19/07 04:21 PM
I am not sure which is worse Paul, Tori Amos or Patti Smith.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Paul Anka sang what??? - 12/19/07 04:30 PM
I don't think either compares with The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britains' cover ....
Posted By: davidsch Re: Paul Anka sang what??? - 12/19/07 05:49 PM
I don't think that Tori Amos' version is bad at all.
Posted By: CV Re: Paul Anka sang what??? - 12/19/07 06:10 PM
Tori Amos rules.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Paul Anka sang what??? - 12/19/07 06:11 PM
she rules all chicks with last names that are first names of really old white men.

Actually, she rules much more than that. \:\)
Posted By: Ajax Re: Paul Anka sang what??? - 12/19/07 07:15 PM
Hee Hee. Now you know how we old folks feel when one of the beautiful songs we love is performed (I use the word loosely) by some pimply faced kid who puts a throbbing drum track to it, reduces the chord structure to 3 chords, butchers the melody cuz he/she thinks it's cool, and screams the lyrics.

Neener Neener!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Paul Anka sang what??? - 12/19/07 07:31 PM
Very interesting!

You know, I almost hate to kill the comedy by hauling out my "inclusiveness and diversity are FUN" schtick, but I honestly thought that both the Tori Amos and Paul Anka versions were entertaining and respectable.

Part of what I've always enjoyed and appreciated about jazz is the eagerness of artists to bravely reinterpret and rearrange known melodies. Now, whether you agree that a swing version of
"Smells like Teen Spirit" is "a good idea", if you were to envision a swing version, Anka's is pretty nicely arranged. I mean, how can you guys hate big bands?!?! Isn't that un-American?

As to Tori Amos, I enjoyed the performance and interpretation as well, but I do wish somebody would get her an inhaler or something.
Posted By: Murph Re: Paul Anka sang what??? - 12/19/07 08:31 PM
Diversity is a good point but writing classic song is like a traditional recipe. There are some substitutions of ingredients that just don't appeal to the masses.

Musically, it was a good job. Had Paul wrote it first and in that manner, Kirk would have been beaten to death by canes and orthopedic shoes the next time he visited his Grandfather in an old folks home for his desacrative, unintelligible mockery of a Paul Anka classic.

I went through a KISS phase when I was young. I still like the energy of many of their tunes. However, I remember buying a Gene Simmon's single on a 45 once. I can't remember what song it was but I distinctly remember playing the B side and it was Gene's distinctive, sounds like he needs a coughdrop, 2-4 octave range max, voice singing "When you wish upon a Star." Yup, I thought it was a joke intro but he sang the whole thing as serious and slow & somber as can be.

I think at that moment I learned, diversity is wonderful, but some things are just Wrong.

Sorry, not arguing so much as I'm in the mood for bad humor analogies. The Gene Simmon's story is true though.
Posted By: Spoiler Re: Paul Anka sang what??? - 12/19/07 09:17 PM
I always new Mr Tuttle had class... \:\)

I'm a musician (on the side these days) and play tenor/bass trombone in mostly big band/orchestral settings. I've played behind Anka, Sinatra, Goulet, Clooney (Rosemary) to name few. It's good to see some big band stuff posted here...but, although the musicians are great and the arrangement is descent, um...WHAT THE HELL?

Yes, it's stepping out on a limb (the very tip!) to try something different, but it's TOO much of a stretch. To give a metal tune with those lyrics a bouncy, happyish swing beat is way out of character!

Great band tho.

Quote:
I never really had a desire to assassinate anyone before this.

Well Murph, if you could've heard the recordings I have of Anka
absolutely being an a**hole to his musicians on the bus after the gig...you might go through with it \:\)
Posted By: Ajax Re: Paul Anka sang what??? - 12/19/07 10:03 PM
Some good points, Murph. The problem with any kind of "cover" is that we humans seem to have a natural tendency to become attached, reasonably or unreasonably, to the first version of something (movie, song, etc.) we experience. If an artist is going to substantially alter something which is already treasured and revered, in order to justify the change, they must make their recreation something very special. And, regrettably, no matter how creative they are and special they make it, many will not care for it simply because it is different from the original. So, doing a "cover" is a risky business.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Paul Anka sang what??? - 12/19/07 10:14 PM
WOW, Spoiler. Another musician and huge Big Band fan here. In fact, before retirement, the last music I performed professionally was standards from the 30s and 40s.

In fact, right now, I'm listening to the fabulous voice of Jo Stafford singing a Gershwin tune. Perfect pitch, and a voice like silk. Woof! \:\) I envy your backing Sinatra and Clooney. Like Jo, Rosie was a special voice, too.

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Paul Anka sang what??? - 12/19/07 10:48 PM
Jack, you just get more and more cool.....
Posted By: Ajax Re: Paul Anka sang what??? - 12/19/07 11:08 PM
;\)
Posted By: zhimbo Re: Paul Anka sang what??? - 12/20/07 12:41 AM
Gene Simmons sings "When You Wish Upon A Star" on his solo album, so you can still get that if you want. "When you wish..." is really, truly bad. It was probably the B-side of "Radioactive", which is pretty good as far as Big Dumb Rock goes.

I was a bit shocked by the Anka clip. It...was pretty good. I've seen Nirvana do much worse with the song (purposely bad...on TV. Sometimes, they just wanted to suck.)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Paul Anka sang what??? - 12/20/07 12:54 AM
I'm at a loss for words.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Paul Anka sang what??? - 12/20/07 01:36 AM
The best part is that you can actually understand the lyrics in Paul's version.
Posted By: dkfan Re: Paul Anka sang what??? - 12/20/07 06:42 PM
 Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
The best part is that you can actually understand the lyrics in Paul's version.

I totally agree.... On the other hand, I do like Paul's version as well. OK, ill wear my flame suit now
Posted By: medic8r Re: Paul Anka sang what??? - 12/20/07 07:37 PM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
As to Tori Amos, I enjoyed the performance and interpretation as well, but I do wish somebody would get her an inhaler or something.

Amen! It's her own version of oversinging. Sounds like we share a low tolerance for histrionics, Mr. Tuttle.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Paul Anka sang what??? - 12/25/07 08:02 AM
Dare I say I like the Paul Anka version better? (and I actually do like the original!)

I was pretty darn surprised how well that song translated. Good stuff!

...no, I'm not kidding. \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards