Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ajax Here's one for JohnK - 01/24/08 06:24 PM
Rachmaninoff's Big Hands, Pianist's Small Hands
Posted By: JohnK Re: Here's one for JohnK - 01/26/08 07:27 AM
Almost didn't see this one, Jack. Yeah, Rachmaninoff was about 6'6" and his huge hands were legendary. He was supposed to be able to cover a thirteenth(i.e., an interval of 13 white keys)on the piano keyboard. Certainly the player with the small hands(and what else?)on the Stupid Video couldn't do that. Possibly the only notable piano player that we know who could accomplish that feat would be Peter's brother Adam.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Here's one for JohnK - 01/26/08 12:37 PM
I got a kick out of the video because it reminded me of something Victor Borge would do, and I loved Victor Borge. Although, he could drive me nuts sometimes. He'd start to play a beautiful piece, and just about the time you'd be marveling at how beautiful the music was, it would devolve into a comedy bit. I loved the comedy, but I also loved the music. On the rare occasions he would actually play an entire piece, I really enjoyed it.
Posted By: Spoiler Re: Here's one for JohnK - 01/26/08 03:48 PM
I had the pleasure of being part of the orchestra that had Mr. Borge as a guest for several performances (Boca Pops, late 80's I believe). An amazing talent.. he had the audience and the orchestra in stitches for each performance. His scripted routines were great of course, but his ability to ad-lib was extraordinary.

I couldn't believe I was being paid to be part of the performance and enjoying this man's genius for 3 nights. Great stuff...
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Here's one for JohnK - 01/26/08 03:55 PM
that is great!
Posted By: Ajax Re: Here's one for JohnK - 01/27/08 04:52 AM
WOW, Spoiler. I envy you that experience. He could reduce me to tears of laughter. I don't know how you could play an instrument during his act. I'd be spiting through my trumpet, or squawking through my clarinet.
© Axiom Message Boards