Axiom Home Page
Posted By: myrison Blu-Ray Recorder + HD Player - 03/25/08 02:26 PM
Someone awhile back was asking about combo drives for Blu-Ray / HD-DVD for a HTPC. I believe at that point no one had great suggestions on a single PC internal drive that did both, but I saw this press release today and thought I'd share:

Plextor Blu-Ray Recorder + HD-DVD Player

Posted By: nickbuol Re: Blu-Ray Recorder + HD Player - 03/25/08 04:47 PM
LG makes a drive that reads both formats, and writes dual layer DVD and CD formats (no hi-def recording) that sells for about $250 instead of $500 for the comparible Plextor.

Just offering another option. Plextor makes some great products, but LG has been the big surprise electronic company (for me anyway) over the last several years.
Posted By: Megnaro Re: Blu-Ray Recorder + HD Player - 03/25/08 05:13 PM
Nick I agree. I have been a long time Plextor user, there drives never break down on me (and I burn A LOT!) and they have had good customer service. I have been very impressed with LG recently. It seems everything they touch they do good at. I'm wishing I had bought the 24" LG monitor instead of spending the same on the 28" HannsG...the picture on the LG would have been much sharper.

Anyway, I am seriously looking at that exact same LG drive for my HTPC, just waiting for a company to come out with a Vid card that will pass audio through HDMI and still do good gaming \:\)
Posted By: myrison Re: Blu-Ray Recorder + HD Player - 03/25/08 05:52 PM
Ahh cool - I didn't know LG made theirs available for PC drives as well. (makes sense though, it can't be that hard to drop it into a different housing) \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards