Axiom Home Page
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Midwest earthquake. Did you feel it? - 04/18/08 03:01 PM
I live about 150 miles away from the epicenter, and it definitely woke us up. Wild! As a midwesterner who wasn't alive in 1968 (the last 'big' one), this was my first earthquake. Kinda weird, kinda creepy, but kinda cool. \:\) Bizzare to feel your whole world shake and shimmy like that.

On an audio front, I now have a new benchmark for subwoofer performance. ;\)

Hats off to those of you that live in active seismic areas of the west coast. While I'm sure our little quake would have been absolutely nothing for you, it was a pretty wild for here. I don't know how you deal with that on a regular basis.
Yikes! An aftershock!!

That one was different than before. The one this morning felt like a rumble. Like a giant washing machine out of balance.

That last one just felt like some giant pushed my office building 2 inches in one direction. Weird sensation!!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Midwest earthquake. Did you feel it? - 04/18/08 03:22 PM
Hang on, Peter!!

In California we install seatbelts on every chair. I buckle up when I get to the office.

Glad to hear there has been no major damage out in the midwest.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Midwest earthquake. Did you feel it? - 04/18/08 03:25 PM
Felt it here too Peter!

About 100 mile away. Lasted much longer than any I remember.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Midwest earthquake. Did you feel it? - 04/18/08 03:29 PM
I was letting the dog out at that time and I swear I felt something strange when standing on the back deck, it didn't last to long but felt like a big semi tractor was driving down our road. I'm clear in Des Moines, IA, but I've heard people felt it clear up in Michigan.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Midwest earthquake. Did you feel it? - 04/18/08 03:29 PM
I felt it here in Davenport, IA as well. I wonder if Randy felt it Des Moines. Initially, my birds woke me up squawking and thrashing around in their cage when suddenly I felt my bed shaking. At first, I thought it was wind shaking the house although I couldn't hear it. But it definitely felt more like a wash machine out of balance. Very weird!

EDIT: Well, Randy answered my question...he DID feel it!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Midwest earthquake. Did you feel it? - 04/18/08 03:31 PM
Yep, that is what if felt like on my deck, but our wash machine is not out there. \:\)
USGS is now reporting that it was a magnitude 4.5 aftershock. A 5.2 and a 4.5 in the same day. Incredible!!

My coffee actually almost sloshed out of its cup (it was a very full cup).

Posted By: LT61 Re: Midwest earthquake. Did you feel it? - 04/18/08 03:34 PM
YES, here in Illinois.........it woke us up, and knocked our Parrott off his perch!
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Midwest earthquake. Did you feel it? - 04/18/08 03:58 PM
I was sleeping away (and I am about 6 miles closer than Sirquack) but do remember waking up in the middle of the night, but I didn't check the clock and 5 seconds of it felt at about 450 miles away wasn't enough to wake me all of the way up.
Posted By: Murph Re: Midwest earthquake. Did you feel it? - 04/18/08 04:07 PM
Take care folks!

In a strange way, I've always wanted to experience an earthquake. Obviously I don't want anyone to get hurt or lose property but I'm still always oddly curious about such things.
heh heh. Yeah, I have felt the same way for my whole life. Now its "been there, done that". I've had about enough now!

I know that sometimes people say that they'd rather earthquakes to tornadoes. At least with a tornado you know that its coming and can do something about it! \:\)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Midwest earthquake. Did you feel it? - 04/18/08 05:25 PM
aftershocks still reported across Iowa around 10:30ish..
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Midwest earthquake. Did you feel it? - 04/18/08 06:01 PM
I'm so glad you are all okay. My first thought after hearing that there was a quake in the midwest was of all of you.

So, it sounds like most of you were able to identify what was happening? \:\)

I wouldn't say it's "regular" here in Washington (Californians certainly get more). But it happens often enough. Personally, I'm a big fan of "lots of smallish earthquakes" because I'm convinced that they forestall The Big One.

Weird stuff.
Posted By: SRoode Re: Midwest earthquake. Did you feel it? - 04/18/08 06:38 PM
I live in a suburb of Indy. I woke up to the house shaking at about 5:30am... I thought I left the EP500's on.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Midwest earthquake. Did you feel it? - 04/18/08 06:59 PM
Wid, are you ok. \:\)
Posted By: Wid Re: Midwest earthquake. Did you feel it? - 04/18/08 09:10 PM

I slept right through it.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Midwest earthquake. Did you feel it? - 04/18/08 09:55 PM
I kinda miss earthquakes. \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards