Axiom Home Page
Posted By: HomeDad Direct Buy? - 09/18/08 04:49 PM
Does anyone here have any experience with Direct Buy? My refrigerator is acting up again and rather than spend another $1200 to fix it we've decided to finally replace it. We have a couple friends that are members, but I have no idea if the savings are worth the trouble of having them take the time to help us get a new refrigerator, or if I should just find a good deal over the net.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Direct Buy? - 09/18/08 05:01 PM
From what I have heard the savings are very significant. I would have one of your friends check out the price of a fridge similar to what you are looking for and then go from there.

I know we tried to get new cabinets through my father-in-law, but when we went down to look at their selection, we were not allowed into the showroom and they wouldn't even talk to him about pricing with us in the building. It really turned me off from ever using them.
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Direct Buy? - 09/18/08 05:06 PM
I coworker told me few years ago he regretted his decision of joining DirectBuy. We didn't get into specifics so I can't tell you much more than that. Google it and see what you find.

From the very little I know, like any membership type of deal, it's good if you buy in bulk. Kinda like Cotsco or Sams, the more you buy, the more you recoup on your membership fee. So, it may be a good deal if you're the kind of person that refurnish your home every 1 or 2 years.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Direct Buy? - 09/18/08 05:17 PM
I was looking into them as well, and they way they do business had my "spidey sense" tingling. I got a high pressure sales call, and an appointment to visit their showroom. The woman on the phone would not tell me ANYTHING about the cost of joining. I knew right then something was amiss. I googled "direct buy" in my google task bar and it auto-completed "direct buy scam". That's pretty much all I needed to know.
Posted By: Warrant Re: Direct Buy? - 09/18/08 05:30 PM
Its been a while since we went to the "seminar" but membership was in excess of 5K, I think.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Direct Buy? - 09/18/08 05:42 PM
At 5K you'd need to be doing some major renovations to make that worthwhile. I also heard you need to arrange for pickup of everything. There's no delivery option.
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Direct Buy? - 09/18/08 05:44 PM
 Quote:
...membership was in excess of 5K, I think.

Really?? Ouch!
Do you remember if it's a onetime fee or a recurring fee?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Direct Buy? - 09/18/08 05:45 PM
I think it's monthly....

j/k...
Posted By: jakewash Re: Direct Buy? - 09/18/08 06:04 PM
one time fee but there is a yearly fee that is excessive as well, $1000 comes to mind, so much for all those supposed savings for the general public, only house flippers would benefit.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Direct Buy? - 09/18/08 07:13 PM
I believe my friends paid $5000 for the membership, it may be worth checking prices from them. I wasn't aware that they didn't deliver, borrowing a truck and getting a 600lb refrigerator in it won't be fun. I guess the real fun will be getting the old one out and the new one upstairs.
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Direct Buy? - 10/05/08 03:28 PM
Brother in law joined - $5k membership, yearly after a certain point, no delivery, there is a high pressure "no pressure" - according to the sales people (that being if you don't join on your visit, you essentially get placed on a "Never allow in" list...like being blackballed....

For him the savings were large as he purchased many needed item (large ticket) for his home

I think it could be good for a person/couple with the first home, or a renovator
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Direct Buy? - 10/05/08 03:54 PM
 Originally Posted By: BBIBH
Brother in law joined - $5k membership, yearly after a certain point, no delivery, there is a high pressure "no pressure" - according to the sales people (that being if you don't join on your visit, you essentially get placed on a "Never allow in" list...like being blackballed....

For him the savings were large as he purchased many needed item (large ticket) for his home

I think it could be good for a person/couple with the first home, or a renovator

I heard the same.
A local vet friend had their clinic redone. The owners joined Direct Buy for 5k but apparently saved quite a few thousand in the end; however the reno of a vet clinic is rather substantial for counter tops, chairs/furniture, fixtures, flooring...
Posted By: myrison Re: Direct Buy? - 10/05/08 04:18 PM
We considered joining as well when we bought our new house in February. Googling the company produced WAY too many highly negative reviews of the service. The sales tactics mentioned above turned me off as well. If it was that great, there would be no reason for such huge secrecy and the high pressure sales tactics. Of course, since we didn't go much further than the initial research, I could be wrong, but either way their sales pitch leaves a lot to be desired. Buyer beware.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Direct Buy? - 10/05/08 05:06 PM
Never heard of them Michael. Sounds like buying a time share though…..

I did however see that Costco had a nice Samsung three drawer unit the other day. I don’t need a new fridge, but damn near took this home. Stainless, bottom freezer with side by side fridge up top with water / ice in the door……way cool…. Good price too.
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Direct Buy? - 10/05/08 07:12 PM
Mike,
I think that we all suffer from G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome) \:\)
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Direct Buy? - 10/05/08 08:23 PM
Direct Buy seemed a little sketchy to me, if you have a large project it may save you some cash, but when it is impossible to get any pricing information from them prior to joining who knows.
I would think showing their pricing would be an incentive for joining.

We ended up buying this model over the net from ABT KitchenAid Great service and fast delivery.

It almost killed 3 friends and myself getting this upstairs into the kitchen, on a pallet it weighed close to 700lbs, when we pulled out the old Sub Zero we took off the doors, wheeled it out to the deck off our kitchen, and launched it over the railing into the yard, much easier \:\)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Direct Buy? - 10/05/08 10:16 PM
Never heard of them either.
© Axiom Message Boards