Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ya_basta New music format - 09/25/08 06:45 PM
Not for me right now, but if they could make a CD player that holds hundreds of these little things I think it would be pretty cool.

Article
Posted By: sonicfox Re: New music format - 09/26/08 05:22 AM
Regarding the pricing, I wonder what they mean by "competitive with CDs"? I don't think people are going to pay a lot more for MP3 format than what they can already get from the internet.
Posted By: CV Re: New music format - 09/26/08 05:58 AM
For convenience and quality, I still don't think anything comes close to CDs. It seems like the major benefit for buying MP3s is that you can buy them track-by-track, except for certain albums where you're locked into buying the whole thing if you want it. For the people who want specific tracks from artists, downloads would probably be the way to go. For anyone buying full albums, I don't see why they would go this way instead of normal CD. But who knows, maybe this format will surprise us.
Posted By: Murph Re: New music format - 09/26/08 12:53 PM
I would lose sooooo many of those. I picture them being batted around my house as cat toys, some thrown loosly in a box, others stuck in a desk drawer.

Anybody who buys my house would likely inherit a free music collection after cleaning out under the fridge.
Posted By: fredk Re: New music format - 09/26/08 04:34 PM
Seems to me that this is the music industry thinking that decreasing the size of a physical format is a good answer to those who want DRM eliminated.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: New music format - 09/26/08 04:36 PM
 Originally Posted By: fredk
Seems to me that this is the music industry thinking that decreasing the size of a physical format is a good answer to those who want DRM eliminated.

That new format IS DRM-free...
Posted By: BrenR Re: New music format - 09/26/08 07:29 PM
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
For now. Get people behind it with by giving them what they want, then once you have an install base, tighten the noose.

Bren R.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New music format - 09/26/08 09:31 PM
You know, I don't think it's any of these. It's a strategy to kill the iPod. The iPod doesn't have a teensy little slot like that, and you can bet that licensing this from Sandisk wouldn't come cheap.
Posted By: fredk Re: New music format - 09/26/08 09:39 PM
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau

Darn! It was such a good theory too. I still won't buy any. In an early morning fog I would likely confuse them with wheaties and cover them in milk and brown sugar.
© Axiom Message Boards