Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ken.C digital thermometer? - 12/03/08 06:18 AM
Hi guys, I need some advice, and I figured with all the BBQing, smoking, and grilling that seems to happen at your houses, I'd ask you.

I need to replace a Weberstyle digital remote probe thermometer. Don't really care about the remote side of things, but I do want the probe-onna-wire deal. We have a fantastic instant read thermometer, but you can't exactly leave that in a roast or chicken or what have you. The problem I've encountered before (as have many others) is that the probes that are generally included with these things are crap. They die if you use them too often, or if you accidentally touch them to the grill (or oven). Anyone found one that's a bit more temp resistant, like up to 500 or 600 deg F or something?
Posted By: RickF Re: digital thermometer? - 12/03/08 11:41 AM
Ken here's one that gets very good raves on the BBQ and smoking forums ... Accu-Rite

Just about all of these thermometers will only read up to 400 degrees but you'll still be able to use them in a 500-600 degree oven/grill. I have a couple of identical Taylors and a Sunbeam that I've used in hot ovens without any problems ... the above Accu-Rite seems a little steep to me, but it does advertise for all cooking except microwaves. Seems like I paid around $16 for ours at Target or Bed, Bath & Beyond and have used them in the oven with high oven temps, I'm betting they're the same as the Accu-Rite.

Whatever digital thermometer you get calibrate it by sticking the probe in boiling water, out of my three only one was off by 1 degree.
Posted By: Wid Re: digital thermometer? - 12/03/08 12:41 PM

I have two Taylors one Maverick remote and one Accu-Rite.Out of the lot I mainly use the Maverick. It only goes up to 400F so that might be a draw back for ya. It is also made especially for smokers. The Acu-Rite I got from Walmart will read the highest out of all of them at 572F. They are all within a degree of being dead nuts on the money. Boiling Point here is 210 and change. The Talorys read 211F as does the Maverick, the Acu-Rite reads right at 210F, so as Rick states most seem pretty darn good.

The Taylors were $13.99 the Acu-Right was $14.99 and the Maverick ran somewhere around $50.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: digital thermometer? - 12/03/08 03:08 PM
Yeah, the probe on my Weber's busted twice, as did the probe on the one I got from Williams-Sonoma a few years back. I definitely seem to need the higher temp probes. Thanks!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: digital thermometer? - 12/03/08 03:20 PM

Posted By: myrison Re: digital thermometer? - 12/03/08 04:44 PM
This thread reminded me that I need a new digital thermometer. Just added it to my Christmas list. Thanks!

Jason
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: digital thermometer? - 12/03/08 04:46 PM
We use the Polder model. I'm not sure about the "extreme high-temp" part, but it is an indispensable part of the kitchen arsenal for the timer alone. We've had it for years with no complaints.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: digital thermometer? - 12/03/08 11:28 PM
I use this and find it to be extremely accurate.
Posted By: Wid Re: digital thermometer? - 12/03/08 11:49 PM
Butt can it handle high heat
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: digital thermometer? - 12/04/08 12:29 AM
 Originally Posted By: wid
Butt can it handle high heat

Please don't put "Butt" and "thermometer" in the same thought....
Posted By: SRoode Re: digital thermometer? - 12/04/08 12:41 AM
The only difference between an oral and rectal thermometer is the taste...
Posted By: CV Re: digital thermometer? - 12/04/08 04:16 AM
Isn't one ribbed?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: digital thermometer? - 12/04/08 01:00 PM
and lubed... hopefully.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: digital thermometer? - 12/04/08 01:24 PM
And operated by a hot nurse, preferably.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: digital thermometer? - 12/04/08 01:58 PM
::: Cue Swanky Music :::
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: digital thermometer? - 12/04/08 03:10 PM
Never knew that one could achieve so much laughter over a digital thermometer \:D \:D
Posted By: CV Re: digital thermometer? - 12/04/08 03:41 PM
The situation is getting increasingly hot.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: digital thermometer? - 12/04/08 04:34 PM
And what do you suppositorye we should do about it?
Posted By: RickF Re: digital thermometer? - 12/04/08 05:23 PM
By the way Ken, what are you going to be cooking?

\:D
Posted By: Wid Re: digital thermometer? - 12/04/08 05:32 PM

Some butt maybe \:\)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: digital thermometer? - 12/04/08 05:41 PM
I think we've overanalyzed this.
Posted By: CV Re: digital thermometer? - 12/04/08 05:46 PM
It's hard to escape a black hole.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: digital thermometer? - 12/04/08 05:56 PM
I'm not sure that I want to answer that question now!

This would be for misc. cooking; turkeys, chickens, roasts. Mostly in the oven, as I've had limited success with large cuts of meat on the grill, but I wouldn't be surprised to be grilling a tritip or something of the sort. I don't have a smoker, so we're talking high temp here.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: digital thermometer? - 12/04/08 06:28 PM
After all the comments I think you're better off going for a grilled cheese sandwich \:D \:D \:D

Also, not to toot my own horn, butt (no pun intended) my suggestion is clearly the best because it's multipurpose
Posted By: RickF Re: digital thermometer? - 12/04/08 06:45 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
I'm not sure that I want to answer that question now!

This would be for misc. cooking; turkeys, chickens, roasts. Mostly in the oven, as I've had limited success with large cuts of meat on the grill, but I wouldn't be surprised to be grilling a tritip or something of the sort. I don't have a smoker, so we're talking high temp here.

Ken you really don't need to be too overly concerned with high temps because it doesn't matter whether the meat is cooked in the oven, smoker or grill you'll be looking at the internal temp of the meat, which would (should!) all be reading well under 300 degrees ... any of above digital thermometers will work. Whenever I use the probed digital thermometers I leave the probe in the thickest part of the meat during the cooking process and then probe a couple of other locations to make sure I have at least the minimal temperature I'm looking for throughout.

I was darn near reluctant to reply to this, and I believe in due time you'll see why. ;\)
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: digital thermometer? - 12/04/08 07:44 PM
...probe.... {{snicker-snicker}}....
Posted By: Wid Re: digital thermometer? - 12/04/08 07:47 PM
Probing his meat in multiple locations
Posted By: pmbuko Re: digital thermometer? - 12/04/08 09:09 PM
It's best to probe the the center of the thickest part....
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: digital thermometer? - 12/04/08 10:25 PM
I have a hard time probing anything that's too thick...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: digital thermometer? - 12/05/08 12:00 AM
If your probe isn't long enough to reach the center, then perhaps it's time to purchase one of the many products currently being offered in your junk mail folder.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: digital thermometer? - 12/05/08 12:34 AM
Now that's funny!!!

.... laughing my head off...
© Axiom Message Boards