Axiom Home Page
Posted By: myrison Thousands of Wii's at Wal-Mart on 12/8 - 12/08/08 02:28 AM
You heard it here first.

\:\)

Jason
Posted By: jakewash Re: Thousands of Wii's at Wal-Mart on 12/8 - 12/08/08 02:44 AM
Thousands divided up among the many stores equals, what, 20 or so per store.
Posted By: myrison Re: Thousands of Wii's at Wal-Mart on 12/8 - 12/08/08 03:06 AM
Good point, though even that might be optimistic looking at it that way.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Thousands of Wii's at Wal-Mart on 12/8 - 12/08/08 05:10 AM
You're right, most likely 10 per store.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Thousands of Wii's at Wal-Mart on 12/8 - 12/08/08 05:25 AM
I call stampede.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Thousands of Wii's at Wal-Mart on 12/8 - 12/08/08 05:27 AM
"Hi, do you guys have tramplings here?"

"Yes, over in Sporting Goods."
Posted By: CV Re: Thousands of Wii's at Wal-Mart on 12/8 - 12/08/08 05:38 AM
This sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Thousands of Wii's at Wal-Mart on 12/8 - 12/08/08 12:57 PM
Yeah, checked this morning and it says "in stock"

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.d...le210489-lLink2
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Thousands of Wii's at Wal-Mart on 12/8 - 12/08/08 05:07 PM
Wait! Are you telling me that Wii's are still not always in stock. Man Nintendo makes me sick, they keep supply artificially low to keep demand up its BS.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Thousands of Wii's at Wal-Mart on 12/8 - 12/08/08 05:26 PM
Nintendo increased it's production capacity this year to allow for 50% more Wii's to be made this "holiday season" (whatever that is) vs. the 2007 "holiday season" when they sold 2.85 million Wii's meaning that they plan to sell beyond the 4.275 million that they are making for 2008's holiday shopping season. That will put them at about 40 million Wii's sold since it came out. I don't care who you are, that is a LOT of units to make.

By comparison, the PS3 by the end of 2008 should have total hardware sales of just under 20 million units, and the XBox 360, which has been out a year longer than both the Wii and the PS3, should hit almost 26 million units sold.

I agree and think that Nintendo could ramp up production even more though. They have cranked out enough DS units to hit close to 90 million by the end of 2008. I think that the real issue is that they are making a reported $6 per console and don't want to do with Microsoft and Sony (by a lot more) did and set themselves up to lose money with each sale of hardware.

From a business point of view, making $6 a piece and selling a product that doesn't stay on shelves very long due to demand seems like a better model then losing a lot of money for a product that is in demand but not selling as well just to keep a (shrinking) share of the market.

I'm telling you, if someone really wants a Wii, you can get them fairly easily and for regular price, not some jacked up price on eBay, just about anywhere in the country.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Thousands of Wii's at Wal-Mart on 12/8 - 12/08/08 07:19 PM
 Originally Posted By: nickbuol
Nintendo increased it's production capacity this year to allow for 50% more Wii's to be made this "holiday season" (whatever that is) vs. the 2007 "holiday season" when they sold 2.85 million Wii's meaning that they plan to sell beyond the 4.275 million that they are making for 2008's holiday shopping season. That will put them at about 40 million Wii's sold since it came out. I don't care who you are, that is a LOT of units to make.

By comparison, the PS3 by the end of 2008 should have total hardware sales of just under 20 million units, and the XBox 360, which has been out a year longer than both the Wii and the PS3, should hit almost 26 million units sold.

I agree and think that Nintendo could ramp up production even more though. They have cranked out enough DS units to hit close to 90 million by the end of 2008. I think that the real issue is that they are making a reported $6 per console and don't want to do with Microsoft and Sony (by a lot more) did and set themselves up to lose money with each sale of hardware.

From a business point of view, making $6 a piece and selling a product that doesn't stay on shelves very long due to demand seems like a better model then losing a lot of money for a product that is in demand but not selling as well just to keep a (shrinking) share of the market.

I'm telling you, if someone really wants a Wii, you can get them fairly easily and for regular price, not some jacked up price on eBay, just about anywhere in the country.

I agree with what your saying about taking a loss on the console but of the "big three" ( no not that big three ;)) Nintendo own almost if not all of their biggest and best selling games. So they would have more to gain if they have more consoles out there.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Thousands of Wii's at Wal-Mart on 12/8 - 12/08/08 10:58 PM
I still think Nintendo is doing it right, after all, consumers had 11 months prior to this to buy one. ;\)
© Axiom Message Boards