Axiom Home Page
Posted By: myrison Random knowledge: Typing a degree symbol - 12/09/08 05:13 PM
Just found this today when trying to smugly report how warm it is in Austin. Had never seen this before (for Windows users only as far as I know)

Quote:
Hold down the alt key while typing in 167 on the number keypad; and the degree sign will show.

Jason
Posted By: CV Re: Random knowledge: Typing a degree symbol - 12/09/08 05:48 PM
I got six of those from Kevin Bacon.
LOL! Very good, Charles.
You can see the whole palette of Windows character set symbols by looking at the 'Character Map' application. It's standard in every version of Windows.

There are many other printable characters that happen to just not be on the keyboard. They're all accessible by holding down Alt and then entering a three digit code.

Like ® or ¢ or ² or ¾, etc, etc.

Why do I have this feeling that there will be a lot more strange characters in forum posts soon. Not that there aren't already a lot of strange characters around...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Random knowledge: Typing a degree symbol - 12/09/08 06:59 PM
That's å whölé lot of extra keystrokes°°°, if you ask this mac user.
Where is that rasberry emoticon.......
Microsoft isn't thinking about us vertically challenged people again. I can't do it through my voice program
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Random knowledge: Typing a degree symbol - 12/09/08 10:09 PM
So now we're walkies and typies?
Good one \:D \:D \:D !! You got it!!
what voice program do you use?
Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Random knowledge: Typing a degree symbol - 12/10/08 03:40 AM
What voice program do you use?
Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9

weren't you listening?

i recently got ver 10 installed at home but finally i can start typing with two hands again

the program is pretty decent but it takes time and training and an oddly staggered speaking pattern to really get it right

i started calling it Dragon Unnaturally Speaking at work
damn colleagues would come by the office and rap their knuckles on the wall or let their cell phones ring and the program would type a bunch of sentences into my document.
Best one, colleague's cell phone went off, played the hockey night in Canada anthem (now TSN Hockey anthem) and DNS types into my Word file:
"she goes to get pregnant early and fast"

i kid you not

ironically this fellow is young,recently married and been bugged about knocking up his wife on their honeymoon night (running office joke; he hasn't but ...)
You just just need to stop being lazy and learn to type :-).

Go to typeracer.com and spruce up your typing skills.
 Originally Posted By: danmagicman7
You just just need to stop being lazy and learn to type :-).

Hey now, be sensitive, he obviously has a disability that he doesn't want to disclose. So, Cheese, what's wrong with you?? \:D \:D \:D
© Axiom Message Boards