Axiom Home Page
If not, then that is a different issue altogether.

Anyway, I ask that anyone who believes in the power of prayer to be praying for me. Later today (it is just past midnight here on Thursday) at around 8:30 AM central time on Thursday I am supposed to get a call from my boss (he works 6 hours away in Chicago) about whether or not my company is going to have a job for me after the first of the year.

My role with the company is to provide technical support management for our contracted accounts in the state of Iowa (as well as a few locations in Kansas and Missouri). Well, our primary customer did not renew their contract and as it stands, there does not seem to be enough work with the other customers to keep me on board.

My boss has been pushing to get a new job role created and then to offer it to me, however, it isn't up to him, and he has to get the sign off from a couple levels up from him. That person was somewhat open to it a couple of weeks ago, but our company just laid off about 50 employees (not much compared to other companies) and there is a huge push to cut costs. The new job role was pushed as a cost savings, sales adding role, but it still comes down to the one man's decision. When I talked with my boss today (Wednesday), I didn't even know that there wasn't going to be enough work elsewhere until I talked to him at 4:30 earlier, he wasn't as optimistic as he had been in the past. What could be really unfortunate is that I was told by my boss to tell my tech's to find new jobs back in the beginning of October, but when I asked about me, I was told not to worry, so I haven't been looking for a job. Now, if things don't go well, I could be out of a job basically on January 1st.

I know, some people here have gone through this, and in the end, it all works out. I've been there myself on several occasions, once for my own stupidity what seems like a million years ago, and the others because of things like this where the job was just going away. Right when we feel like we are just getting back on our feet from this happening 3 years ago, and it could happen again. In fact, this could be the 5th time that my job either just went away, or there was a company merger, or whatever in 12 years! It rips our family up dealing with all of the bills, lack of medical, etc.

So please, if you are of the praying type, I ask for your prayers that I get some good news tomorrow and that there is work for me to do still with my company because I really like what I do at this job more than any other that I have done over the years.

Thanks!
You got 'em, Nick. Best of luck.
Nick, my sympathies. I'm a tech guy too, jobs out of college are looking pretty grim, I'm with you. May the news you hear be good news.
Well, I'm not a religious man, but my hopes that things work out accomplish the same end.

Bren R.
Prayers and best wishes Nick, both for this current situation and the future, whatever happens now.
My prayers are with you. These are some scary times.
We just went through a significant "right-sizing". Terms like that make me almost as angry as the layoffs themselves. Luckily, I survived and I'm sure you will too. If your boss is pulling for you, that says a lot, even if it isn't his final decision.

My faith is shaky at best these days but a quick prayer for you has been said.
Hi Nick,

I wish you all the best. Believe me when I say that things do get better, I speak from experience.
Posted By: Wid Re: For anyone who trusts the power of prayer... - 12/18/08 12:57 PM

Nick,

Count me in, thoughts and prayers for ya.
Thanks everyone. I've got another 30 minutes to go. Very little sleep last night, and I feel like my heart is going to burst through my chest (no, I don't have a video camera to capture it on film).
Good luck!
Nick, I hope things work out for you.
goog luck man, I"m holding onto threads as well, as you know my Company has laid off 300 people recently with rumors of another 75 soon.
You have mine also.
Well, I had the conversation (started 2 hours ago now) and it wasn't good. I was basically told that the new job role that my boss was pushing to create was denied despite efforts from some pretty influencial people within my company. I was then told that I have 4 weeks (until January 15) to find another job within the company or I will be let go.

I've started networking with others in the company, and while there doesn't seem to be a shortage of people willing to be a reference, there just doesn't seem to be a lot of job openings right now (imaging that), and definately none in Iowa. So unless the new job is created, my only option is relocation, and that is only if I can find something that fits my job skills. That would mean uprooting my family (again), trying to sell a house in a terrible market, and paying for relocation since my company doesn't cover it... And again, that is if a job even comes up.

So if anyone knows of something to look into (I understand that there are only a few of us from Iowa here) for a guy that has a BS in Computer Science, has been a PC tech, Server admin, network admin, and manager of all of those groups as well as a support operations manager (what I am now), let me know.
I don’t know of anything specific but this is a good site to check out for job openings.

http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/

Federal jobs aren’t bad lots of paid holidays and usually good job security (but who knows these days).
Sorry to hear that Nick, best of luck in finding a new job.
I feel for you, Nick, I really do. Tough stuff. Especially this time of year. I work for a small private company (IT: DBA/Developer) that's optimistic about our jobs, but you can never be too sure. Our IT department is as slim as possible right now and seemingly no possibility of hiring anyone new for the foreseeable future. Though if I hear a whiff of anything I'll let you know. IT jobs are few and far between here, and I'd guess it's not much different over there in Iowa.

I have several friends who are IT contractors for the State of Illinois, and they've pretty much all been told that when their contracts expire in 3-6 months they will not be rehired. My wife works for the state too, and brings home constant news of the doom and gloom of state budgets (let alone all the chatter about our beloved governor. ) It's a really bad time for state budgets.

My wife got laid off about 2 years ago. At the time it was a pretty traumatic experience for us. But after a couple of months she found a new job that was significantly better. So yeah, things do have a way of working out. Still, no fun to go through it.

Thoughts, prayers, hopes, and general good karma too you. From one IT guy to another.
Nick, that sucks. Ditto what PeterC said: good karma and positive energy heading your way.
Sorry to hear of the bad news, best of luck in your job search.
My heart goes out to you Nick. I have been there several times and its not fun.
Nick buddy, sorry to hear this information, I know it was not that long ago that you got this job and had to leave your previous job.

I'll keep my ears open for you, however, Principal as you know is in a job freeze and has recently let 300 people go in our Downtown operations, 13 in my IT area alone. I've heard another sweep is coming. Some of my best friends with 20+ years with the company and great SR level IT jobs were cut....

This really is a bad time, let me know if there is anything I can do to help...
Nick, I'm sorry to hear the news. The current state of our country's job market is bleak, to say the least, but there are opportunities out there.

I hope things work out for you. Might even find something better! Stay positive!!
Very sad to hear Nick. Don't give up networking within your company just yet. Who knows what might stir up in four weeks.

The IT job market is very slow in Atlantic Canada as well. However, I have heard 'rumors' that CGI is going to increase thier staff here in the Charlottetown, PEI center. It currently only has about 150 people here but they just built a new building fro themselves that is capable of seating three times that number.

Of course moving to Canada is probably a more radical move than you are considering. Would feel bad if I didn't mention it though.

Just a rumor from a friend who works there. I understand that elsewhere in the world, they are cutting back. However, this might actually make sense. PEI is a much cheaper place to house employees than most of the big cities they traditionally have offices in. Lower wages, lower taxes, lower cost of living. All the cheap lobster you can eat!!!
Best of luck to you Nick, hopefully something will turn up soon ... which usually happens whenever you least expect it.
I'm pulling for you, Nick. Persist.
Nick,

I have, and trust the best for you will happen.

Larry
I echo all the good thoughts and best wishes for you Nick. It's tough right now for sure. Just something to consider; DC is fairly resilient to economic downturns due to the number of government jobs in the area. I'm also in the tech industry and I've been monitoring the job market here and looks to be not as bleak as other places, but it's certainly not good. The company I work for just went through a 20% downsizing 3 months ago. Best of luck Nick, and remember, you're not alone in this , everyone here in the US is in the same boat.
 Quote:
everyone here in the US is in the same boat.

And, as usual, Canada is 3-6 months behind. :rolleyes:
Good luck and keep your head up. It's a tough time. I said my prayers for myself on Monday and survived my company's first round.

I suggest networking inside your company and also going to some online sites like Linked In. PM me and I'll be happy to add you. I've got a few hundred contacts and you never know what might happen.

An online IT friend came out here to the SF Bay Area recently and the IT market isn't the best. But that isn't to say it's like that everywhere. Good things can happen and unexpected times. I found my current job only a month after 9/11 AND the tech markets were tanking.
 Originally Posted By: grunt
I don’t know of anything specific but this is a good site to check out for job openings.

http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/

Federal jobs aren’t bad lots of paid holidays and usually good job security (but who knows these days).

I am a federal employee (Corps of Engineers) and feel very secure about my future. However, our entire IT department has been replaced with contract hires... a few of them were hired by the contractor's to keep doing their jobs but the others are basically being let go.

If Corp's policy on contracting out IT work is any indication of what the rest of the federal government is doing I would think twice.
Hey everyone.

Nick's plea really connected with me. I've worked in IT, and I've been a "right-sizing" (I really detest that term) victim. So I decided that if the only thing I could do to help him out was to share his story and try to get him in touch with someone who needs his services, then that's what I was going to do.

A little over a year ago I launched a little technology blog devoted to data related software, with a little general BI discussion thrown in. These days the site gets a few thousand visits a month from people who work in many industries and businesses from small to large.

I've not mentioned it here before as I didn't want to be seen as promoting myself or my site, but this is different.

I've just posted a short piece on the site to do what I can to help our friend Nick land a good job. You'll find a link to Nick's resume. Pass it on and let's get Nick the job he not only needs, but wants.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Kruncher
Very nice Kruncher. Now THAT'S Christmas.
Thats awesome Kruncher!!
Nick -

I'll try to offer a silver lining to the cloudy situation.

I saw in your resume that you've been working on your MBA. Two years ago, I was laid off from my job for the first time in my life (and only thus far, but I'm not holding my breath). At first, it was definitely a bit of a blow to the ego, but it seems like you're past that point already and realize some things are completely out of your control.

In any case, when I lost my job, I decided to go back to school full time for ~6 months and finish my MBA in an accelerated fashion. Before that I was on a 3-year track with a little over a year to go. For me, this turned out to be a huge blessing as I was job hunting the entire time and by the time I graduated I had a couple of opportunities lined up. On top of that, because I now had those three fancy letters on my resume, I managed to score a decent pay increase and a job that I enjoyed (and still do) far more than the one from which I was let go. Not to mention that once I accepted the fact that I was not going back to work and dedicating myself to school, I really was able to enjoy the time away from work. It was a rare opportunity to take some time away.

Obviously it's not easy taking yourself out of the workforce for that long and not easy financially, but it may be a way for you to make something of the bad situation, especially if the prospects of landing another job in the near-term don't look good.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Jason
I just wanted to publically thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers, ideas, and suggestions. I'd especially like to thank Kruncher for her creative idea to get my resume out in front of even more people. That is yet another avenue to a job search that I've never had in the past, and who knows, maybe that right person from the right company will see it and contact me.

Hoping and praying,
Nick
You're very welcome. I know it's not much, but it's what I can offer.

BTW, that's Mr. Kruncher. \:D

Don't sweat it; it's a curse that's followed me for my whole life.
Doh.

Sorry.
Nick,

Crappy news! \:\( I can't imagine the feeling of uncertainty when you have a family to support. My thoughts are with you and your family. I firmly believe that good things happen to good people, so keep the faith in yourself and you can make something happen.

Best of luck!
Yeah, what Calvin said.
Nick,

I hope you will soon find a new position within the same company or in another one that will be even more satisfying than your previous one. Be strong and confident. Don't despair. If you have your health and your family behind you, nothing can stop you. We all feel deeply about each other here even though most of us have not seen each other at all. It is our shared experiences and thoughts that bind us together. Your family here at Axiom forums are also behind you and praying for you.
Maybe Axiom is hiring ;\)
Yeah, I hear they need someone to read these message boards and respond on Axiom's behalf. ;\)
Sweet! I can do that. And it doesn't even require me to move to Canada (nothing wrong with Canada, just the moving part.)
I was asked by someone here to give an update to my situation, well, there isn't much to update people on. Especially with the holidays, things are moving slow. I've managed to throw my resume out to a whopping total of 4 jobs that I've found in my area (other employers) that I am qualified for, but my main focus has been on finding something with my current employer.

I did, however, get an "forward of a forward of a blind carbon copy" of an email sent by a very respected (and vocal) person within my company who, to make his long story short, basically said that it would be irresponsible for my company to let me go when there are other things that I am a key player in besides this one account that is going away. He even recommended me for a possible promotion (to officially do a job that I have been doing 80% of already) with 2 other customer accounts who should be ready to go just after the first quarter.

I've also heard something similar through the grapevine about other folks putting in some good words, but it still comes down to the one man at the top of my management chain and his decision. So it is encouraging, yet nothing official has been sent to me to say that it is looking at all positive from his point of view.

Anyway, now I have to go in to the office today (on my day off) and do all of the "last day" stuff for my last tech that has been with me. We will have to clean out the rest of our office (since it is on the customer site) and lock up shop for the last time. I think that it is going to hit kind of hard later today. Maybe I'll just have to start the New Years festivities early today!
Nick, hope you have a good New Year man. I was suprised how "thin" the job section of the paper was last Sunday. I'll keep my ears open for you..
Hey Nick, hang in there man, all I can say is that I will be praying for you and your family.

Good luck
Jim T
Nick - you absolutely should start the festivities early. I'm hoping you'll be surprised how quickly things turn around in the New Year, so you just as well celebrate now while you have time.

Jason
I had an email and a phone call actually today from my boss' boss about things, and he really thinks that there is a great position for me (promotion) within my company... Problem is = relocation for the family.

UGH! I've hauled my family around for my job so many times in the past, but the farthest away has been 3 hours where we are now. The kids were also a lot younger (my youngest wasn't even in school, and my oldest was in 3rd grade)... Now that I have a Freshman and a 4th grader, it would be harder on them, as well as my wife who is more "attached" to her family where I grew up more independent from mine.

So it would mean a relocation to Atlanta, GA from Iowa. I know, it is warmer there, but my wife and kids like the snow here too!

It would be 14 hours from "home" (where her and my parents live), which is a good day's drive, but still a lot farther than now and that would mean no more short weekend visits from Grandma and Grandpa to see the kids in shows and events...

Nothing is set in stone, but it sounds like it would happen sooner rather than later (little time to warm up to the idea), so it is good news and "bad" news at the same time...

Enough of that for now... I am off to start my New Years fun!
Congrats Nick... it sounds to me like opportunity might be knocking (it's just wearing an ugly dress).

Good luck with the decision whichever way you go.

Party on for now. \:\)

Jason
Nick, it sounds like good news to me. You just have to convince the grandparents to relocate as well!
Wow, leave Iowa, can't believe it man. You have to do what you have to do, I just hope you figure it all out...
I hope you find the kind of clarity in making your decision that most people can only access with hindsight.
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
Nick, it sounds like good news to me. You just have to convince the grandparents to relocate as well!

Well, I know that my parents would move in a heartbeat because my sister's husband is supposed to be up for a promotion when his company finishes a new corporate office near Atlanta in 2010.

But again, the problem is my wife and kids... Ok, that didn't come out right, the problem is that it would negatively impact them more than me.
Nick, I've never been in that situation, and can't imagine how hard it would be to make such a decision. Obviously, you have to way all the pros and cons and hope you and your wife make the right decision for everyone. I can't remember if your wife works or not? If so, that would be a consideration possibly.

Ive got a few friends at Principal that lost their jobs after 15-20 years with the company, they are taking what they can get until the economy turns around, sometimes that means taking a job other than the field your currently in, and looking to the future to get back into something. It will turn around.

Anyway, I know things will work out for you, you and your family are great people, good things happen to good people. Just try not to rush into a decision.

Good luck my friend..Randy
Nick, as someone who recently relocated from California to Virginia (3 years ago is recent, right?) -- and it was completely voluntary -- I can tell you that it wasn't easy on the family, but as the primary breadwinner, I had to take the future into account. I saw greener pastures elsewhere and I'm happy to say the decision was the right one. I learned a lot professionally in the three years since the move, and I just got a promotion so I have at least two more years of good learning ahead of me.

Home is where your family is. Living away from extended family can bring your core family closer together. It's hard work, for sure, and you'll probably second guess your choice often. I know we did.

If you had a house in Cali before leaving, I bet you are incredibly glad you sold when you did.

Jason
Ha ha ha. \:\( If I had a house on California, I would not have moved.
Hey Nick,
I was layed off in November after 5 1/2 years at a company. It's happened to me before but it's never fun or easy. However, I am a praying man and I do believe in the soverienty of God. I didn't say I understood it, I just believe it. Any way, I have had some interviews for jobs here in Houston but nothing has solidified. I do have an interview next week for a company but we would have to relocate. The funny thing is that my wife and I have both had total peace about the move and have actually been quite excited. Which is crazy because I have been here all my life and she would be further away from her family. What we do know is that we want to be where we are supposed to be and we believe that we will be. Since we both do believe in what I stated in my first sentence, we know that all of this is happening for a reason and we are looking forward to what this new experience will bring. Granted, all of our kids are grown so we don't have that issue. Seek and you will find. Trust and obey and you will be blessed. My prayers are with you.
I'm in a similar situation, with the exception that my current position is stable. I've been asked (and accepted) to become a part of a new research group. The problem is that the group will be based in a northern suburb of Atlanta. Luckily, the wife is fairly open to relocation due to living in hurricane alley. However during a recent trip to Atlanta, she discovered that the grass isn't necessarily greener, just more manicured, if you will. So now she's back to wanting to stay in LA... Even more luckily, the groups first project is based in the plant I'm currently working in, so it wouldn't make sense to move now. However, if asked to move to keep the core group in a central location, I think I'd be hard pressed to say no since I'm the primary bread winner. Our kids are a bit older than Nick's, with the oldest a Sophomore now. I'm good with moving the family anytime before the next school year starts, but very reluctant to move a Junior, or worse, a Senior.

I hope it all works out for the best for you Nick, it's not an easy position to be in.

Scott
Congratulations Nick!
This does indeed prove that you were a valued employee and that your hard work has been recognized.

Good luck on the move decision. I always say that family comes first but that could really be an argument for either choice here. I'm sure you and family will make the correct decision.
While Murph's comment a few days ago seemed premature at the time, he just seems to be ahead of the curve than the rest of us.

I found out yesterday that the only realistic possibility for me to not lose my job due to the lack of business in Des Moines is the possible promotion into a job in Atlanta. While this job in Atlanta hasn't been fully approved yet, I also found out yesterday that the hiring manager and his boss (2 and 3 management levels above where I am) agreed that it would be good to have me fly to Atlanta for a formal interview with the hiring manager and the other person in the same role that I would be applying for.

So that is encouraging, especially since this hasn't been advertised or posted internally or externally and I know that the hiring manager wants to avoid posting the position if at all possible.

So I fly down Monday afternoon, have dinner with the hiring manager that night, have the formal interview on Tuesday from 10:30 am - noon with him, and 11:00 am - noon this position's counterpart for the region would join us. Then lunch with them. After that I don't know if anything else will happen or not, but I've got a standing invitation for dinner with some people that we know that moved north of Atlanta about 14 months ago from here. Then I have Wednesday morning to look around the area a little more and then fly back around 4:00 pm.

I am glad that I am going to be there for 2 nights to help me check out the area, and while this looks very hopeful, it still hasn't been approved to even hire anyone into this position, and I don't have the job yet.

So this is similar to Sean's (StPatGuy's) situation where he is having to move from Rancho Cucamonga, California to Phoenix, Arizona. His move is about 5 hours straight east, and mine would be 15 hours southeast, but anything past an hour or two really impacts your ability to get back to visit family and friends regularly.
Sounds like your dark cloud may have a silver lining. Here's hoping it works out for you very soon now.
Thats good news Nick. Good luck with the interview.
Nick - I am praying for God to help you and your family in your decision. There are worse places to move to than Atlanta. Also, Sean, if you are reading this, I prayed that your move would work out for the best as well. Times are tough all over. My company is supposed to make a major announcement in the first quarter of this year and I am just waiting to hear.
Thanks, David. This may prove to be a very tough year as most companies figure out they won't be able to withstand any more significant losses.

Nick, good luck with your interview, and, hopefully, subsequent move.

David, I hope your position within your company is not affected by the first quarter announcement.
Nick, good luck with your interview.
Well, this is not a pleasant way to rejuvenate an old thread but in the category of "your not alone," my company just announced yesterday that they are laying off 500 management staff. That's about 15% of total management staff.

I'd like to think that because I received the highest possible performance review last year that I have a chance of beating those odds but I will certainly be glad when this is all over.
I had dinner last night with the hiring manager, and then met with him and the job's counterpart today for about 3 hours (which included lunch, so about 2 hours of interview time) running through "what if" and other scenarios as well as touching on my skills. Averything seemed to be going pretty well and then a vague email went out to all management about some upcoming job cuts, so who knows if this job will ever get approved!!!! Ugh! It isn't clear what jobs are being cut, but instead of me feeling really positive right now, I have that "pit in my stomach" feeling again!
\:\( \:\(
Nick, I know that feeling well and its not nice.

Murph. You mean they anounced the layoffs, but didn't actually make them yet?? What a way to demotivate your entire workforce!

Hang in there guys.
Correct Fred.
The process will take us through to the end of February. (sigh) I have my personal speculations as to why they are doing it this way. One reason I'm quit certain of, is that investors often view such announcements as a positive. Our stocks could certainly use some help but I was hoping for less drastic options considering we went through a slightly smaller 'rightsizing' a bit prior to Christmas already.
Nice. I was listening to a round table with some HR experts a few weeks ago. There was consensus that dragging out layoffs causes moral and productivity to fall considerably. Looks like your company is 2 for 2.
Well, "rumor" has it that the job in Atlanta is mine, as long as it gets final approval from HR. So it sounds like I did well with the interviews, but HR has been a big stumbling point for me lately with them denying other opportunities that even upper management thought were good ideas for the company, so who knows....
hope all goes well...
Let's hope the R in HR stand for Resources, as it's supposed to, instead of Roadblock, as it often does.
Keep that good news coming Nick!!
Alright, so the interview for the job closer to home happened today. It went pretty well, and I could definitely do the job well. The biggest issues are that it is 40 miles away (80 miles round trip, 20,800 over the course of a year not taking out vacation days) which will take a toll on the car and my wallet (gas money, maintenance), but it also sounds like they are paying a lot less than what I am making today. They wouldn't give me a number, but the words were something like, "This position pay no where near the minimum..." that I put on the on-line application.

Still no word about the Atlanta job either. I am still hoping for some good news there. That job is for a company that I already know, doing a job that I've already been doing, and for people that already appreciate me. Plus it would be a promotion, so there should be more money involved to at least keep us able to pay our current financial needs while I am spending the extra on travel and moving when/if that day comes, and then it should still be a pay increase even after factoring in the cost of living increase to the Atlanta area.

I just hope and pray for some good news about Atlanta this week.
It seems like things are starting to fall in place for you. At least now you might have some choices, even if they are not ideal.
Just an update. I had a 2nd interview for the job closer to home, and it really is a step back about 8 years in what I would be doing and most likely a step back about 8 years in pay as well. I don't feel that I would really ever be truly happy working there, but it would be better than unemployment. Not sure when I will hear anything on that job, but could be today.

As for the job in Atlanta, which is looking even better than it already was in my mind, I am still on hold. HR has given my boss's boss the "separation letter" twice now, but he has been told to hold off until he talks with some others today before letting me know.

So I could be out of a job today!!!! YIKES!

So for those people who pray, wish, or even hope, my prayer for today is that they get approval for the Atlanta job today.

I've been going almost 6 weeks now with very poor sleep at night, which transfers over into my day via headaches, and other aches and pains, plus just feeling run down and sometimes cranky. At first I wasn't completely sold on the Atlanta job, but now I think that the second I would hear something good about it, I would be jumping up and down, yelling and hollering through the house because I'd be so happy. Picture a kid on Christmas morning getting a Wii (YouTube has some good examples)

Kid gets Wii = Nick if he gets Atlanta job

Thanks everyone
Nick man, I"m always thinking about ya man and praying for the best. I'd hate to lose you as a fellow Des Moines area Axiomite though...hang in there man..
I know. That is the worst part (moving from friends), but without that job, and not knowing for sure about the job up in Ames, unemployment would most likely mean a move as well. Besides, the Atlanta area needs more active Axiomites!
I can only wish you the best of luck Nick, for you and your family. Keep us posted.
 Quote:
I've been going almost 6 weeks now with very poor sleep at night, which transfers over into my day via headaches, and other aches and pains, plus just feeling run down and sometimes cranky.

Being in that no-mans land where you are not really sure of anything can really grind you down. Hopefully you will hear something in the next couple of days.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
 Originally Posted By: FordPrefect
Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Same here Nick, good luck!
Best of luck Nick.

I know every situation is unique but I do understand some of the pressure you are feeling. Monday is the day that they start handing out the lay off notices here for my level of management. I'll actually be away on Monday at a conference but I know that when I return on Tuesday that I might have to face the music or at least face that some of my friends will have already gone. I'm optimistic about my own chances but both scenarios hit me right in the gut at this point.
Well I got word about 30 minutes ago that they couldn't arrange for the job approval, despite how much they said that they wanted to keep me so as of right now, I am unemployed. I am really disappointed and not sure what I feel, so I am going to leave it at that for now. Thank you for all of the prayers, hopes, crossed fingers, etc for the job in Atlanta. There still is the job 40 miles from here (although less desirable) that may be a possibility, but I would have thought that I would have heard something back about that today if it was good news.
Nick, keep at it brother. I know how you feel, I'm a Toolmaker by trade and work in this field is drying up in Ontario at the same rate as Michigan. Offers I have been getting are about 25-30% less than what I used to make years ago. I'm presently thinking of starting up a new business of my own, as it would seem others feel my 25 years experience in Tool and Die making and $30,000 inv. in tools are worth just a little above 4th year apprentice wages. In real terms, I made about the same kind of $$ or slightly less than your average UAW/CAW worker after machining and building the very machines they are using (that's another issue). Anyway, you know we're here for you...

Adrian
For the record, my comparison of wages above is not entirely accurate...I am self employed with '0' benefits. I feel better now.
Well, I haven't posted anything in a while. In short, I am still unemployed. I've applied for tons of jobs (that I am qualified for, not just anything that comes up), and I've heard "no" a LOT.

I've been focusing a majority of my job search in the following areas (because I have family that I could live with for a while):
Des Moines, IA
Dubuque, IA
Champaign, IL
St Louis, MO
Jacksonville, FL

I've searched government jobs across the country, as well as a few other locations like Madison (WI), Cedar Rapids (IA), Omaha (NE), and a few others that I'm not thinking of right now.

I only have 3 possibilities "in the works" right now.

#1 is a job in Des Moines that would be pretty good, but I was so early on the interview process due to being recommended by someone that it has been about 6 weeks since I interviewed and while I was told a couple of weeks ago that I was still in the running, I am having my doubts.

#2 is a job with IBM in Dubuque where my family (and my wife's) live. I grew up there and it is OK, but I am not sure I like the idea of going to a smaller town again. I am having my first interview with them on April 1.

#3 if you can believe it is for the job in Atlanta that I talked about near the beginning of this thread. 3 weeks after being laid-off because the job wasn't approved, it got approved, but since I was no longer an employee, I had to start over. I was told just last Friday that because of everything, I could skip the HR screening, phone interview, and face-to-face interview and I was being put right to the final step where they have the top 2 candidates talk to a guy that was 3 management levels higher than me. I am not sure when that will happen, but it should be soon. So that is good that I am already one of the top 2 even though they haven't finished meeting all of the other candidates. So we'll see.

Right now I've decided that it would be best to spend time doing low cost, big impact things with the house. We starting some painting today, and I am doing a lot of easy fix things like fixing 3 screen doors that have been torn over the years by my in-laws' dogs, replacing a warped spindle on the deck, fixing some broken tile (we already have the tile and grout from the install 5 years ago), etc... I figure that 1) it gives me things to do, 2) it improves the house whether we have to sell it to move, sell it because we can't afford it, or just to be nicer for if we stay here.

Anyway, that is the long update.
Nick, thanks for the update. I'm sure everything will work out man, it always does. I would hate to lose a fellow Axiomite in the Des Moines area. \:\)
Absolutely Nick, keep up the good spirits. Don't forget to take advantage of the bit of down time as soon you'll be back to work and wishing you took better advantage of the free time you had.
It's kind of ironic. With a move looking like our only option (which is better than no option) I spent the last 2 days really cranking down on home home projects. Things like painting hallways that needed it BADLY, touch-up painting everything else, putting up some window treatments that we've had for about 6 months, fixed a wooden spindle on the deck, fixed the door stop in our bathroom where my wife slammed the old door stop right through the door (she was mad at the door not me, whew), fixing the screen door to our deck and from our basement to outside, etc, etc...

The ironic part was that I also spent about 2 hours painting a geometric design on the one large wall in my home theater. Something I wanted to do a couple of years ago, but never got around to it.

Other things range from simple to more involved like building a second closet in our master bedroom since the existing closet is about the smallest "walk-in" closet I've ever seen, and making the linen closet at the end of the hall a little bigger with a bigger door as well.

These projects have made the days go by quickly and have been pretty low cost, but will either help with the resale potential or just be nice to have done should something come up locally...
Glad to hear you're staying busy and positive (I think?) throughout this process. I'm not sure I'd be able to do the same.
Nick:
No matter what the current job situation, you can take pride in the home improvements that you made! Keeping busy would be tantamount for me, and you might as well have something to show for the "down time".
And don't forget pictures of this geometric design in the HT.
And a hint if it's actually some sort of secret Masonic message. \:\)
Well, I haven't updated anyone here in some time.

While I read the forums multiple times a day, being unemployed has had this strange effect on me that I just find it hard to participate like I used to in my hobbies. I really miss giving advice, tips, tricks, smart-alec comments, and so forth.

Anyway, it is closing in on the end of month 6 and still no job.

I do have a very good prospect in the works right now though. Today I had my 5th interview for a job. I would be working for an outsourcing company but at one of their customer sites. While I won't go into the details of the job, I would be traveling quite a bit for the first six months to places that I have never been to like Little Rock, Cincinnati, St Petersburg, Los Angeles, Charlotte as well as some places that I have been to like Atlanta, New York, and Denver.

Good thing is that it would only be about a $5000 a year pay cut (vs. the possible $25,000 pay cut I was facing with another position), the bad part is that it would still require a move. I would need to move to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, which is where I lived for a couple of years about 10 years ago. It isn't a *bad* place at all, but just less than ideal. Then again, any move is "less than ideal".

The interview today was where the outsourcing company presented me as their choice for the project, so things are looking pretty good, but until the contract is signed, and until they actually offer the job, I am trying to not get my hopes up too much.

Anyway, that is the latest.
Posted By: CV Re: For anyone who trusts the power of prayer... - 07/29/09 04:12 AM
Hang in there. I hope it works out soon. If not with this one, then with something else closer to ideal. I'm rooting for you.
Nick, the economy is starting to show some signs of life in the last couple of months, so hopefully there will be more doors opening....
Its a tough thing to go through Nick, but in the end you will find something that suits you.

We just went through a buyout and merging of two offices. The company offered packages and 90% of the IT group took them. \:o It seems that most people found other work.

They are still looking for people. Its Toyota Boshoku and the head office is in Erlanger KY. Don't think they pay well though.
You have come this far Nick, you have proven you can endure. So hang in there.

A smaller pay cut, while not desirable, is not entirely the worst thing in this economy. I thought about your position a lot when we went through a recent downsizing. I came to realize the fact that if I were to lose my job today, I would have to move to another time zone in order to even have a chance at matching my current salary, but I'd also be in a much more expensive to live area. It would be a lifestyle cut either way. However, I also expect it would be temporary as the market demand for talent eventually would open up again.

In the end we do what we need to do to keep our families going. All my best to you and I'm positive you'll be giving us good news soon.
Everything Andrew said!
Everything they said. Stay positive.
Well my fellow Axiomites, after exactly 6 months from being laid-off, I was offered a new job yesterday and accepted today.

So that is great. Of course, it also means a move for the family which will be a lot of hard work and some tears when the time comes. I know that a couple of months after the move, things will be a lot easier as everyone will have started to adjust to a new home, new neighborhood, new school, new friends, and so forth, but until then, it will have a "downer" effect for our family on certain days.

Anyway, my new job starts on the 17th of August in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and I will be spending about 50% or more of the initial 6 months traveling as all of the staff that I will be managing will be in other cities (but I will be at the corporate HQ in Cedar Rapids). I will be traveling to New York, L.A., St Petersburg (Florida), Little Rock, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Charlotte, and Denver with other locations coming on board within the first year.

Anyway, that is the basic scoop. :-)
Posted By: CV Re: For anyone who trusts the power of prayer... - 08/01/09 03:26 AM
Congratulations! It sounds like it will definitely have its challenges, but on the other hand, you'll have plenty of new experiences to share with all of us. \:\) Good luck to you and your family, and keep us updated with how the transition goes.
Congratulations! That bit of good news was a long time coming. From my perspective, that 6 months seemed to go by quickly, but I have a feeling that it was different from your angle. ;\)
Yeah, quite slow from here. I'll have to take photos of V3.0 of my theater before we actually move in a few months since I've yet to do it...
Congratulations, Nick! At least your home base will be in an area that you're familiar with.
Congratulations, Nick!
Congratulations Nick.
Excellent! Excellent!
Goos news, I'm sure it is going to work out well for you and your family.
Posted By: Wid Re: For anyone who trusts the power of prayer... - 08/01/09 01:21 PM

Very good news, congrats.
Good to hear Nick! Sorry I'll be losing my DSM Axiomite buddy, at least your still in the great state of Iowa, not to far away. \:\)
Awesome Nick! Usually change that initially seems a bit scary brings positive rewards!
That's good news, Nick!! Congrats on the new job.
Very welcome good news, Nick. The best to you and your family.
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
Good to hear Nick! Sorry I'll be losing my DSM Axiomite buddy, at least your still in the great state of Iowa, not to far away. \:\)

I'll be the "half way point" between you and SonicFox for an Axiom road trip!
So is it bad of me to already be wondering what v4.0 of my home theater will be? We are so far away from even selling our house, let alone moving, but I just got done looking at some "upgrades"...

Silly, I know...
Posted By: CV Re: For anyone who trusts the power of prayer... - 08/02/09 09:04 PM
Not silly! You have to have things to look forward to!
I'm late to the party but Congratulations Nick! The adventure awaits....
© Axiom Message Boards