Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Audiogon? - 01/03/09 05:22 PM
I haven't done anything with Audiogon before but am considering them to sell my Denon 3805, as I've had no bites at all on Craigslist.

Anyone have any tips or thoughts for using them vs. eBay, etc..?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Audiogon? - 01/03/09 05:30 PM
I've only bought one thing through Audiogon, but have never sold anything. From what I remember they've recently added some additional charges if you sell anything through them. It's hard to say which sight will be more effective at selling--eBay or Audiogon. You can try listing the Denon on both and just pull the ad that doesn't sell first.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Audiogon? - 01/03/09 05:39 PM
Just be careful whatever you do, I had two scammers try to swindle something recently on Craigslist, but then an honest Wisconsin guy payed me through Echeck using paypal, once it cleared we were good.

The same guy said a friend of his was scammed on audiogon for about 2K, so be careful.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Audiogon? - 01/03/09 06:56 PM
I've had nothing buy good luck with audiogon, both as seller and buyer. Obviously you need to be careful of scams, but that goes regardless of how you try to buy or sell online. I've liked audiogon, as the majority of the buyers and seller really know their stuff.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Audiogon? - 01/03/09 10:18 PM
I had great luck as a seller. When I got my EP500, I was able to sell my SVS sub on Audiogon for a reasonable sum and the buyer even had me use his own FedEx account number for shipping from Virginia to Texas. He was quite effusive in his praise for my careful packing job. \:\)
Posted By: Adrian Re: Audiogon? - 01/03/09 11:51 PM
Have you considered going the consignment route through a local dealer ? might free yourself of some headaches as long as the dealer cut is reasonable.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Audiogon? - 01/04/09 02:18 AM
I've had very good dealings with the people on Audiogon as well. One must always be wary of scam artists.
Usually the folks who are legitimate won't have a problem giving you their real names, phone numbers and addresses which makes it a bit easier to check for validity.
Sticking to credit card payments through methods such as paypal may cost that extra 3% but it is worth having the buyer protection provided by the credit card company.
© Axiom Message Boards