Axiom Home Page
These were bought in 1986. These are even before Ian started to taper the speaker boxes to deal with standing waves. It's a 2 way design with an 8" treated paper cone woofer and a leather soft dome tweeter. Power handling is rated at 250 watts. I remember they won all kinds of awards from stero mags back then.

Just thought some of you might like to see some pictures.

Thanks for the history...I wish I would have known about Axiom back then, I was 19... ;\)
I was 9 ... old man. \:D

My youngest was born in 1986.
I think I was around 14. I bought them with money I made from my paper route, because the stereo shop selling them gave paper carriers a 10% discount on all purchases.

They are not match for today's M60/80 as far as full range sound is concerned. However, they have that very same neutral sound in the mids and highs that I love about my M80's.

paul
 Originally Posted By: wid
My youngest was born in 1986.

The same year as the Challenger disaster. Talk about a blast from the past.

The woofers seem to have foam surrounds. Are they foam, and if so, how have they held up?
They didn't. I had to replace the drivers about 2 years ago. Axiom was really good about it though, they had the drivers in stock. I think it was around $100 each shipping included.

There was no way I could buy a new pair of speakers of equal quality for under $200. So I replaced them. Here's hopping to get another 20 years or so out of them.

paul
They didn't. I had to replace the drivers about 2 years ago. Axiom was really good about it though, they had the drivers in stock. I think it was around $100 each, shipping included.

There was no way I could buy a new pair of speakers of equal quality for under $200. So I replaced them. Here's hopping to get another 20 years or so out of them.

paul
Where is the built in phonograph player????? ;\)
It's next to the built in 8 track player ;\)
Paul, your AX2s look like they are r. wood veneer, is that right?
Yes, I believe they are.
 Originally Posted By: Worfzara
They didn't. I had to replace the drivers about 2 years ago. Axiom was really good about it though, they had the drivers in stock. I think it was around $100 each, shipping included.

paul

It was amazing to actually see all the old boxes that Ian still has in stock at the factory.
Nice that they can live up to and WAY beyond the 5 year warranty knowing they have so much excess spares laying around.

I thought the AX series that won the awards were the ones with the new tapered boxes?

You are correct, I think, however I don't know what year Axiom changed the box shape on it's apeakers. The Axiom speaker that one the award in 1986 was the AX1.5 (non tapered box). I owned this one for 2 months before as the AX2's were on back order.

I liked the 2's better than the 1.5's, simply because they had a better bottom end.

http://www.colquhounaudio.com/history.html

paul
© Axiom Message Boards