Axiom Home Page
Posted By: terzaghi What luggage to buy? - 02/13/09 06:22 PM
I am looking to buy some new luggage for our trip to mexico in june. Any advice on types of luggage to look for? Should I consider buying online?

Thanks.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: What luggage to buy? - 02/13/09 06:40 PM
ebags has good prices. Also check steepandcheap.com. You have to check it often but they do have a lot of rolling luggage from good vendors like North Face. Most are <$100, <$200 for the bigger ones.

I used to travel 100K/year. I learned very early that if you want luggage to last, you get what you pay for. I used to swear by TravelPro and Tumi, but they're $$$. You find others now that are much cheaper. I also used to swear by hard-sided, but now that airlines are so strict on weight, I prefer softside and use the weight for my contents and not the luggage itself. Expandable is also good, so you can have extra space for souvenirs when you come home.

I like the roll on/carry ons that have the zippered backpack that attach. Some of those fit in overhead bins. PLUS, if you're a guy, you can 'cheat' the single carry on rule by connecting them together when you go through gates and the detach them to fit in the under/overhead storage.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What luggage to buy? - 02/13/09 06:41 PM
I've had decent luck with Land's End. And they've got a warranty that you can't beat--lifetime and no questions asked.
Posted By: Adrian Re: What luggage to buy? - 02/13/09 06:47 PM
I have mostly Skyway luggage and Delsey, both very good.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: What luggage to buy? - 02/13/09 07:30 PM
Ken makes a great point. Pick a brand with a lifetime warranty.

There's a lot of satisfaction getting a 10 year old bag fixed/replaced because the zipper broke.
Posted By: Zarak Re: What luggage to buy? - 02/14/09 05:54 PM
Don't buy black...much easier to find your bags coming off the belt that way.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: What luggage to buy? - 02/14/09 08:12 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I ended up going with a cheap 3 pc american traveler set that was on sale at JC pennies for $79.99. What I got will work great for this trip, and I will look into buying some nicer luggage when I return.
© Axiom Message Boards