Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Murph Storm # 11, #2 for this week - 02/23/09 01:10 PM
Thought you folks in the deep South might like to have a note on our weather conditions today in case you need cheering up.

Only 15 cm (6 inches) of snow so far but it arrived like a bomb all in the last two and a half hours. The wind has died so the visibility has returned but there is another 5-10 of snow to go.

My work never stops unless the roads are impassible, my home power goes out and my Blackberry eventually dies but my wife's work is tentatively booked to start delayed at 10:30 so at least I have the fun of getting to try and dive her in through the snow in the Jeep. I might not get far though, secondary roads are not yet plowed. Probably just wasting my time but it's an excuse to play around in the snow.

Posted By: Murph Re: Storm # 11, #2 for this week - 02/23/09 04:50 PM
Well we are plowed out and as you can tell from the cuttings, there was no way I was driving out without a snowmobile. Actually, not nearly the most snow we have ever had. It's been over our head at this spot before but it was still a lot to hit in just 2.5 hours. Sharon and Cosmo are graciously acting as a scale.

The good news is that our snowblower guy found our mailbox. The bad news is that it's been slightly damaged. But at least it's still on the post this time, kinda.

Posted By: lhulls Re: Storm # 11, #2 for this week - 02/23/09 05:09 PM
Canada, gotta love her? No wonder Canadians have a great sense of humour.

I've got to visit the east coast - but I'll do it in the summer I think. ;\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Storm # 11, #2 for this week - 02/23/09 05:32 PM
That was the summer shot ;\)
Posted By: Adrian Re: Storm # 11, #2 for this week - 02/23/09 05:45 PM
When I was on the west coast(White Rock BC) I went over to MT Baker in Washington. I think it holds the world record for snowfall per year...over 97 ft!! try shovelling that!!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Storm # 11, #2 for this week - 02/23/09 07:54 PM
When you get that much snow, there's only one thing to do: find a slope and ski.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Storm # 11, #2 for this week - 02/23/09 07:57 PM
Bugger! I'm not familiar with the notion of it snowing that much so close to the big water. Must be effing cold.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Storm # 11, #2 for this week - 02/23/09 08:12 PM
Perhaps you could use something like this...

http://www.beardhead.com/
Posted By: Adrian Re: Storm # 11, #2 for this week - 02/23/09 08:16 PM
I drove about 2/3 the way up Mt Baker in May of '06 before the roads were closed for safety reasons. The weather was cool, but you'd be comfortable in a light coat or sweater at that height(that day) and there was a good 15-20 ft of several years of snow packed down at that point. Southern BC has had more than it's share of snow over the last 3 yrs according to the parents. Lol, three years ago Ontario had an unusually warm winter, I had my windows replaced in January that year! H Depot ect were overstocked with snowblowers, couldn't sell them for even 30-40 % off. The same year, my father couldn't find a snowblower at ANY price on the west coast...HDs in BC were ordering their snowblowers from....Ontario!! of course they paid full price though.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Storm # 11, #2 for this week - 02/23/09 08:17 PM
The Grandpa one looks like Chainmail \:D
Posted By: Murph Re: Storm # 11, #2 for this week - 02/24/09 02:10 PM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Bugger! I'm not familiar with the notion of it snowing that much so close to the big water. Must be effing cold.

Actually, often the heavy snowfalls arrive with relatively mild temperatures just hanging barely under the freezing mark. It's not unusual for a bit of rain or drizzle to add into the mix.

The Nor-Easters with chilling cold winds from the Atlantic are a b-word though and tend to last days instead of hours.

Life is a balance though, we have some of the warmest beaches north of the mid-eastern states in the summer.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Storm # 11, #2 for this week - 02/24/09 04:38 PM
Does Not Compute!

Oh, wait, the ocean is to the EAST of you
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Storm # 11, #2 for this week - 02/24/09 07:54 PM
Where it's SUPPOSED to be.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Storm # 11, #2 for this week - 02/24/09 10:56 PM
Sure, if you're a morning person.
© Axiom Message Boards