Axiom Home Page
Posted By: HomeDad Opppo BDP-83 - 02/25/09 04:13 AM
For those that are still looking forward to Oppos release of their new Blu-ray player. Some info. I received from an e-mail.

OPPO BDP-83 Blu-Ray Disc Player EAP

Dear ,

We would like to thank you for the tremendous feedback that we have received from the community in response to our first BDP-83 Blu-ray player notification update. There were many great comments, suggestions and concerns which we will try to address in the release of the BDP-83. In particular, we would like to address the Early Adoption Program.

We have decided to take a democratic, by-the-people approach to the implementation of the Early Adoption Program. For the initial batch we will randomly choose 50 customers to participate in the Early Adoption Program. These 50 customers will have the opportunity to purchase the BDP-83 for $499 before the official release. After using the player for about a week, they will be required to vote on whether the program should be expanded or suspended based on end-user experiences. If a supermajority (at least 70%) votes in favor of expanding the program, we will expand the Early Adoption Program by another 100 randomly chosen customers. The player will be shipped with a pre-production firmware version. Firmware updates will be available from time to time.

The initial 50 Early Adoption Customers will be chosen no later than February 25th using the random number generator at random.org. After being contacted by us, the customer must place the order no later than 3pm February 27th Pacific Time; otherwise the opportunity to participate will be passed on to another customer. A simple "Yes" or "No" vote on whether to expand the program needs to be cast no later than March 15th.

Terms and conditions for the Early Adoption Program, as well as the current program status, can be found at our web site:
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/EAP.aspx

We would also like to take this time to update you on the status of BDP-83 developments. The last two months have been very fruitful, as the player now supports BD-Live (Profile 2.0) and can internally decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio formats. DVD-Audio has yet to be implemented through firmware, but we are working diligently on this feature. A preliminary features and specifications list will be available on our web site on Tuesday March 3rd.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Opppo BDP-83 - 02/25/09 06:28 AM
OK, that's kinda nutty.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Opppo BDP-83 - 02/25/09 12:27 PM
too much time on their hands?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Opppo BDP-83 - 02/25/09 01:28 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
OK, that's kinda nutty.

Yeah. I would think that... ummmm.... the first 50 people to have placed their order would be considered the first 50 people to have placed their order.

I'm happy with my Pannie 35 and using my older Oppo just for DVD-A and SACD...
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Opppo BDP-83 - 02/25/09 04:00 PM
I don't believe anyone has placed an order yet. So far there's only the registration to be notified of the player's release. So they're going to invite 50 of the people who are interested in the player to be guinea pigs, and then ask them after a week if more people should be tortured too.
Posted By: fredk Re: Opppo BDP-83 - 02/25/09 05:31 PM
Chris. You missed your calling in marketing/pr. ;\)
Posted By: michael_d Re: Opppo BDP-83 - 02/27/09 07:06 PM
I just saw this user report from a beta tester. http://www.prillaman.net/oppobdp83_review.html
Posted By: CV Re: Opppo BDP-83 - 02/27/09 07:15 PM
Sounds like a winner.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Opppo BDP-83 - 02/27/09 09:23 PM
Despite the apparent tone of my "marketing speech", I am really looking forward to this player; even more so now.

Just hope the guinea pigs find all the bugs before I have to deal with them. \:\)
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Opppo BDP-83 - 02/28/09 01:30 PM
I'm really looking forward to it also!! I've got the money saved up and ready to get it once it's out on the market!!

Oh Blu-ray on my 58A550!!
Posted By: michael_d Re: Opppo BDP-83 - 02/28/09 04:33 PM
I'm pretty sure this machine will be a hit. I'm definately buying one.
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Opppo BDP-83 - 02/28/09 06:07 PM
I'll be ordering one as well. Hopefully they get the bugs out soon (if there are any?).
Posted By: SRoode Re: Opppo BDP-83 - 03/01/09 03:29 AM
I am interested also (I currently own the DV-983H). I got the same E-Mail and this was my E-Mail and reply:

Steven,

DVD-Audio is not initiated in the BDP-83 because it has not been enabled through software (firmware). SACD is currently available for the analog and HDMI outputs.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629 Terminal Blvd., Suite B
Mountain View CA 94043
USA
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tue 2/24/2009 5:49 PM
To: BDP 83
Subject: Re: OPPO BDP-83 Blu-Ray Player Early Adoption Program

Dear Oppo,

DVD-Audio has been implemented in the unit I already own, so I assume it is a licensing issue. Is SACD supported?

Best Regards,

---------------------------------------------

So, DVD-A is in the firmware, but it appears that they are still working out the licensing issues. Strange to me since there are so few DVD-A discs.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Opppo BDP-83 - 03/08/09 05:10 PM
Okay, it's March already, I'm getting impatient \:\)
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Opppo BDP-83 - 03/08/09 09:55 PM
11 out 50 voted yes so far. 22.0 % approval level.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Opppo BDP-83 - 03/09/09 03:38 AM
Now if they activate dvd audio and make a multi disc player version, there's a perfect universal unit.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Opppo BDP-83 - 03/09/09 01:49 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with a multidisc player version, they are virtually impossible to come across nowadays, I haven't seen one in a long time. Is there a reason for this? Low popularity? I loved my five disc SD DVD changer.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Opppo BDP-83 - 03/09/09 02:39 PM
Likewise. I've not beenall that happy with my multidisc universal, mainly because the shuffle got so little thought.
© Axiom Message Boards